Page 14 of 104 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ji-tae View Post
    long term solution.

This is good news for everyone.

Instability is bad, but turkey is strong and can withstand a short term instability when in the end they are clearly better off without Erdogan.
    Hopefully so.

Quote Originally Posted by Sassafrass View Post
    I have family in Turkey and they tell us that everyone hates what Erdogan is doing to the country. Turkey is fiercely nationalistic and they're not going to sit back and resolve a corrupt government "democratically"

Looks like the military has finally gotten sick of Erdogan's shit.
    Well, I hope the next guy isn't as bad as the last guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    Anatolia is in Asia.
    As is Cyprus.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    This government was elected democratically.
    And moving the country to an authocracy. Turking military have the powers to step in and remove the president in order to defend democracy.

Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    Who says they will?
    The person I was responding to, which you decided to take the side of.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by a77 View Post
    The risk is that the coup fail, then Erdogan will declear permanent martial law, and gets rid of annoying factors like free and fair elections.

If the coup succeed, then the military will declar martial law, and maybe they get rid of annoying factors like free and fair elections becuse the peopel might vote for a fundamentalist again.
    That's already long gone. He doubled his score via votes and then veto'd an investigation against the corruption.

The army says they want to restore the country predating Erdogan, a free and democratic country that protects human and international rights of it's citizens and inhabitants.

7+ Year Old Account
    Spotted: National Security Advisor Susan Rice boarding a flight to Portland in the middle of the Turkish military coup
    https://twitter.com/joshrogin/status/754064253049532417

Too bad i don't have cash. Would be a perfect time to buy some real estate there.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by bufferunderrun View Post
    another fine mess at the door of europe
    If the coup is secular, it's actually cleaning up the mess.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    This government was elected democratically.
    But did the goverment used its power in a democratic way? I know its a hard question becuse its a gray area.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    Hopefully so.
    That was the outcome of the last coup. Although the world was a slightly calmer place back then.

Erdogan is now live on CNN Turkey

Edit: sadly I cannot get any sound, I do not know why

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    Who says they will?
    well...
    What is a 'Bank Run'
    A bank run is a situation that occurs when a large number of bank or other financial institution's customers withdraw their deposits simultaneously due to concerns about the bank's solvency. As more people withdraw their funds, the probability of default increases, thereby prompting more people to withdraw their deposits. In extreme cases, the bank's reserves may not be sufficient to cover the withdrawals. A bank run is typically the result of panic, rather than a true insolvency on the part of the bank; however, the bank does risk default as more and more individuals withdraw funds - what began as panic can turn into a true default situation.
    Just to get an idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    I hope it works out better than in star wars, because after that little phrase yoda pretty much lost and the galaxy went to shit.
    Eh, that's mostly because Yoda took a bad bump and decided to quit rather than collapsing the entire building on him and the Emperor.

But then again, the Jedi generally speaking have all the imagination of a fucking potato.

Is it too late to say inb4 U.S. is somehow to blame, or has that happened already?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tauror View Post
    If the coup is secular, it's actually cleaning up the mess.
    It is, look up the legacy of ataturk (believe spelled ätaturk correctly).

My first reaction was enthusiasm.. just hoping that it will be a bloodless coup and that it has broad military support and is met with little resistance or the situation could be very bad. But given that Turkey under Erdogan's rule was a fraud democracy under a corrupt leadership, just like Russia is under Putin, one might as well wish the classic secular military establishment good luck. Hopefully they can give Liberal Democracy a go again in a few years time. They have apparently stated they intend to honor all treaties made with other countries and hope for good relations. If this doesn't result in more chaos but is actually an orderly power-grab it will likely favor the fight against ISIS given all the rumors about supposed oil purchases by the Turkish state from ISIS and that they have let jihadists travel to and from Syria somewhat freely. Would be good if this could help crush ISIS, but would be really sad if they change their heart about Assad who is a murderous dictator who is responsible for killing so many people and numerous war crimes since the start of the Syrian Civil War. Also sad how this could hurt the independence cause of the Kurds all over the region, as the military was always their most hard-line opponents, although Erdogan had already put them in attack-mode on the Kurds so I suppose for them this may just be same-same. Pros and cons here. Seeing more pros right now, but we'll see how this develops.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    That was the outcome of the last coup. Although the world was a slightly calmer place back then.
    That is exactly my worry. I mean things are a bit different around that area now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tauror View Post
    And moving the country to an authocracy. Turking military have the powers to step in and remove the president in order to defend democracy.
    Regardless, if you support democracy you wouldn't be supporting this coup unless you're a hypocrite.

Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    Well, I hope the next guy isn't as bad as the last guy.
    Well if he is, the military will fix it until someone good gets in