Cooler recommendation

So I got my miniITX build almost ready and the only 1 thing missing is the Cooler. So far here's what I got:

1. Corsair 380T case
    2. Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB RAM
    3. Corsair AX 860i (Yeah, way overkill, but I got it from a friend for free!)
    4. ASUS Z170I Pro Gaming motherboard
    5. nVidia GTX 1080
    6. Samsung 850 Pro SSD
    7. Windows 10 Home

Which cooler would you guys recommend for my little build? I'm only willing to buy a traditional cooler. Not interested in CLCs at all.

Thanks in advance.
    "Those mortal shells that we call bodies, are not ours to keep. The body is a gift of earth that must, one day, be returned from whence it came"

15+ Year Old Account
    Ok with a max height of 150mm I would recommend a Cryorig H7 tower cooler as it's 145mm, damned good.

But if you are looking for a horizontal flat cooler you can go for the Cryorig C1, cools the mainboard as well and will fit.
    The C1 is a very good cooler and silent, don't underestimate it just because it's not a tower.

I personally just built a mITX build with a Cryorig M9i ... and it's extremely silent and works very well as well, but I would only recommend that if you had an uber shitty socket placement that ZOTAC and some GigaByte boards tend to have (extremely close to the PCIe slot), but you don't so you're good.

Interesting. Never heard of Cryorig before. I just did a quick search and looks like they make pretty good coolers. Also I'm really digging the looks of both the H7 and the C1. Which one of them would you go for?
    "Those mortal shells that we call bodies, are not ours to keep. The body is a gift of earth that must, one day, be returned from whence it came"

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Static View Post
    Interesting. Never heard of Cryorig before. I just did a quick search and looks like they make pretty good coolers. Also I'm really digging the looks of both the H7 and the C1. Which one of them would you go for?
    Cryorig came in by storm a couple of years ago dropping in a Cooler (The R1 Ultimate) that dethroned the Noctua NH-D14/D15 champion.
    All their products so far have been a resounding success and perform stupendously well.

As far as choice goes... well both work perfectly fine so it works on preference to what you want.
    The H7 is considerably cheaper and cools slightly better than the C1 but is also slightly noisier.

Since you have the space for it I'd probably go for the H7 coupled with a 1 x 200mm fan infront of the 380T instead of the 1 x 140mm you get standard.
    Should be more effective for both airflow, temps and sound production.

Quote Originally Posted by Evildeffy View Post
    Cryorig came in by storm a couple of years ago dropping in a Cooler (The R1 Ultimate) that dethroned the Noctua NH-D14/D15 champion.
    All their products so far have been a resounding success and perform stupendously well.

As far as choice goes... well both work perfectly fine so it works on preference to what you want.
    The H7 is considerably cheaper and cools slightly better than the C1 but is also slightly noisier.

Since you have the space for it I'd probably go for the H7 coupled with a 1 x 200mm fan infront of the 380T instead of the 1 x 140mm you get standard.
    Should be more effective for both airflow, temps and sound production.
    I'll check the local stores over here tomorrow and see if one of them hopefully got an H7 in stock, and even if none has it, I'll order it from Amazon. Also you're right, I'll pick up a 200mm fan for the front. Probably the Cooler Master Megaflow fan.

Really appreciate all the info, Evildeffy. Thank you very much!

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, either Cryorig C1 or Noctua C14S would be the pick imo for low profile cooler.

15+ Year Old Account
    I'll check the local stores over here tomorrow and see if one of them hopefully got an H7 in stock, and even if none has it, I'll order it from Amazon. Also you're right, I'll pick up a 200mm fan for the front. Probably the Cooler Master Megaflow fan.

Really appreciate all the info, Evildeffy. Thank you very much!
    No worries, enjoy the build and cooling.

Also if you can't get the Cooler Master MegaFlow fans there's plenty of other options like:
    BitFenix Spectre
    BitFenix Spectre LED
    BitFenix Spectre Pro
    BitFenix Spectre Pro LED
    Phanteks PH-F200SP - 200mm Case Fan

There are others like the Antec Fanboy or the NZXT series but honestly I would either pick the Cooler Master one or 1 of the above.
    Note that none of them will have PWM control, all are 3-pin only, no 200mm has PWM control until Noctua fixes their variant they wanted to release.
    But seeing as how long ago that was I don't have any hope of that releasing anytime soon... if at all.

@Evildeffy Hi!

Wanted to update you that I've finally built my PC. Sadly, I couldn't find any Cryorig products from the local stores back then. Nothing but the usual Corsair CLCs (shudders) and some old Cooler Master coolers (Nope!), so I had to order the H7 from Amazon. When I purchased the H7, I got an e-mail the other day, saying that the H7 ran out of stock, and I had to wait some time. After all the waiting, I finally got it delivered to me yesterday, and started building the PC earlier this morning!

Pictures of the build: https://imgur.com/a/3qX0T

It was worth the wait. Installation was super easy and the cooling performance is pretty damn impressive. 4.5ghz achieved with the 6700k and the temps don't go beyond 75C when stress testing and is chilling around mid 40's when gaming. Overall, very happy with the build.

Again, thanks for the recommendation.

15+ Year Old Account
    @Evildeffy Hi!

Wanted to update you that I've finally built my PC. Sadly, I couldn't find any Cryorig products from the local stores back then. Nothing but the usual Corsair CLCs (shudders) and some old Cooler Master coolers (Nope!), so I had to order the H7 from Amazon. When I purchased the H7, I got an e-mail the other day, saying that the H7 ran out of stock, and I had to wait some time. After all the waiting, I finally got it delivered to me yesterday, and started building the PC earlier this morning!

Pictures of the build: https://imgur.com/a/3qX0T

It was worth the wait. Installation was super easy and the cooling performance is pretty damn impressive. 4.5ghz achieved with the 6700k and the temps don't go beyond 75C when stress testing and is chilling around mid 40's when gaming. Overall, very happy with the build.

Again, thanks for the recommendation.
    It's all good as long as you enjoy the stuff.

Did you manually set voltage with the overclock? Or did you leave it on Auto?
    The Intel Core i7-6700K suffers a lot from massive overvolting done by Intel's VID regulations.
    Manually voltage messing gets you far better temps if you haven't.

What did you end up getting for a 200mm front fan? The Cooler Master MegaFlow (Red LED I see in any case)?

At first I set it on Auto and, indeed, it was reaching high voltages (around 1.40v if I recall correctly) so honestly I was pretty uncomfortable with it. Then on the 2nd try, I put it on 1.37V, and kept lowering it down until I got it fully stable at 1.32V. Also noticed that anything lower than that would get me an instant BSOD, unless I lower the clocks. Here's a link by the way from the CPU-Z Validaor: http://valid.x86.fr/iy6qkf

As for the fan, I went with this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835129066 Moves a decent amount of air and can barely hear it.

Oh and by the way, since I got a place for 2x 120mm fans on the right side, would you recommend installing them as exhaust or intake?

15+ Year Old Account
    At first I set it on Auto and, indeed, it was reaching high voltages (around 1.40v if I recall correctly) so honestly I was pretty uncomfortable with it. Then on the 2nd try, I put it on 1.37V, and kept lowering it down until I got it fully stable at 1.32V. Also noticed that anything lower than that would get me an instant BSOD, unless I lower the clocks. Here's a link by the way from the CPU-Z Validaor: http://valid.x86.fr/iy6qkf

As for the fan, I went with this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835129066 Moves a decent amount of air and can barely hear it.

Oh and by the way, since I got a place for 2x 120mm fans on the right side, would you recommend installing them as exhaust or intake?
    Well done on the overclocking part.
    Make sure it remains stable for a prolonged period of time with a stress test.

As far as fans go... if you do need/want to install those they were originally meant for exhaust... however having said that you should install them in any order you prefer, play around with it .. see the temps on the chipset and CPU with them installed as intake or exhaust.
    Make your decision based upon that (HWMonitor sees the best range of temperatures, use that) but most of all if you do install it park in low noise/rpm fans.

But really .. do you need em or are they just because you can? (valid reason!)

Honestly, I don't know. The CPU/motherboard don't need them, that's for sure. the H7 and the 200mm front fan are doing a fantastic job. However I think the GPU could use some direct cooling since it reaches around 76c just by playing WoW. But then again, even if I install them, I don't think they'd help the GPU much, since it's laying on its sides against said fans and the air would only cool the backplate.

Really wish the 380T also had fan mounts on the left side.

15+ Year Old Account
    Honestly, I don't know. The CPU/motherboard don't need them, that's for sure. the H7 and the 200mm front fan are doing a fantastic job. However I think the GPU could use some direct cooling since it reaches around 76c just by playing WoW. But then again, even if I install them, I don't think they'd help the GPU much, since it's laying on its sides against said fans and the air would only cool the backplate.

Really wish the 380T also had fan mounts on the left side.
    "Founder's Edition" of the GTX 1080?

If so there's nothing you can do, it's a closed off system and the founder's edition backplate is plastic so cooling is irrelevant.

I'd just say enjoy the ride really and add the fans later if needed. (assuming you did keep the back exhaust fan of course)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Evildeffy View Post
    "Founder's Edition" of the GTX 1080?
    He has a gigabyte windforce, it is in his pictures

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeara View Post
    He has a gigabyte windforce, it is in his pictures
    Brain fried... in 40°C Greece.
    @Static: Running full blast with V-Sync off?

@Evildeffy Yeah. Also I forgot to mention I got a G-Sync monitor(ASUS PG279Q).

15+ Year Old Account
    @Evildeffy Yeah. Also I forgot to mention I got a G-Sync monitor(ASUS PG279Q).
    Normal temps then.. You're Gucci