Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Death Knight View Post
    It's a wonder how Hollywood keeps itself in business with how ridiculously high the revenue has to be for each film to make a profit. I get that making a movie is not cheap, but holy crap those numbers are completely nuts.
    Yeah. I call it a weird sort of inflation. Too many fluffed up salaries and spending WAAAAY too much on shitty advertisement.

I mean I would say Deadpool is a good point for how much a feature movie should cost. It was professional and did not seem low budget at all. Even 50 shades wasn't that expensive. For a film that costs 150 mil more, I expect Star Wars/Jurassic park I am talking chalk full of shit that literally does not exist as well as paying for life sized mockups.

All this other shit is too much. I know good CGI costs money, but damn. But it's not even just production, if that was it then it wouldn't be bad.

Advertising is a fucking rip. If I am spending 100 million on advertising I expect my shit to be plastered across a good 50% of the United States at bare minimum. I understand it is a worldwide game, but the shit I see is not worth it. A poster in theaters? A commercial between Late night shows? An internet banner ad and a Youtube trailer? Tha fuck? all that should cost no more than 1 million for China and the U.S.

Advertisers are raping movie studios cause these expenses don't even make sense anymore. They should put all their money in Youtube Trailers, Spots on the channel (still youtube) Behind the scenes etc, and maybe a few t.v. commercials a week out.

Everything else is a waste

Hollywood is weird...

Quote Originally Posted by Tempguy View Post
    Yeah. I call it a weird sort of inflation. Too many fluffed up salaries and spending WAAAAY too much on shitty advertisement.

I mean I would say Deadpool is a good point for how much a feature movie should cost. It was professional and did not seem low budget at all. Even 50 shades wasn't that expensive. For a film that costs 150 mil more, I expect Star Wars/Jurassic park I am talking chalk full of shit that literally does not exist as well as paying for life sized mockups.

All this other shit is too much. I know good CGI costs money, but damn. But it's not even just production, if that was it then it wouldn't be bad.

Advertising is a fucking rip. If I am spending 100 million on advertising I expect my shit to be plastered across a good 50% of the United States at bare minimum. I understand it is a worldwide game, but the shit I see is not worth it. A poster in theaters? A commercial between Late night shows? An internet banner ad and a Youtube trailer? Tha fuck? all that should cost no more than 1 million for China and the U.S.

Advertisers are raping movie studios cause these expenses don't even make sense anymore. They should put all their money in Youtube Trailers, Spots on the channel (still youtube) Behind the scenes etc, and maybe a few t.v. commercials a week out.

Everything else is a waste
    Amen

/10char

Quote Originally Posted by Tornwar View Post
    Hollywood is weird...
    I am not 100 percent sure but maybe 15 Million loss is nothing in Hollywood terms. This is just concerning theatrical release, of course depending how profitable they view the potential of the whole WC franchise.

Note that the $15M loss is with both merchandise and Chinese distribution rights. It's not just a theatrical failure.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tackhisis View Post
    Note that the $15M loss is with both merchandise and Chinese distribution rights. It's not just a theatrical failure.
    Have you heard about Hollywood accounting? Sure it make a loss hence you do not need to pay tax on profits. Then you have DVD, Blue Rey and tv rights left.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by a77 View Post
    Have you heard about Hollywood accounting? Sure it make a loss hence you do not need to pay tax on profits. Then you have DVD, Blue Rey and tv rights left.
    No taxes on profits AND you can get back the taxes you paid out making and marketing the movie.

Can someone cite me a source for this Hollywood accounting voodoo and proof that this applies to Warcraft?

Until then, I'm not buying this.

Deleted
    Can someone cite me a source for this Hollywood accounting voodoo and proof that this applies to Warcraft?

Until then, I'm not buying this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathreim View Post
    No taxes on profits AND you can get back the taxes you paid out making and marketing the movie.
    I am quit sure you have to pay tax on profits, but back to [QUOTE=Tempguy;41409691] do you not think the movie company do some tax planning?

What I think doesn't matter. I want a source for this Mumbo Jumbo.

When speculating whether the movie has done well enough for us to get a sequel I think people should keep in mind that this was a Chinese co-production, not only because Legendary is owned by a Chinese company, but because other smaller Chinese production companies was in on it as well. This means it should earn some 43 cents on the dollar in China, and not the 25 cent some are reporting. Furthermore the owner of Legendary also owns the largest theater chain in China, and the vast majority of their screens showed Warcraft, meaning they earned another big chunk of that dollar by being the movie theater company as well. Add to that that the Chinese market is poised to be even bigger in 2-3 years time. Then of course there is Blizzard, who just like any movie or video game production company is used to simply SPEND money on advertisement for their products. For them, this movie is a massive ad for their products where the ad itself is returning spent money. Then there is a very enthusiastic director and team of actors attached to it. All in all, if this movie was to ever get a sequel, it was in the hands of this particular set of producers. Universal probobly have less motivation for a sequel, but being merely the distribution company (except for China) they aren't really that relevant in this equation. I think there is reason enough to have hope.
    Last edited by Zarc; 2016-07-16 at 11:38 AM.

I think we have talked about this before, but... lets just refresh our minds!

Do you think the movie would had done much better domestically if it had better reviews? What if it had been released same day in the US as in most of Europe?

If those things are the cases, maybe if they do a sequel, they should release it same day WW

Quote Originally Posted by Tornwar View Post
    I think we have talked about this before, but... lets just refresh our minds!

Do you think the movie would had done much better domestically if it had better reviews? What if it had been released same day in the US as in most of Europe?

If those things are the cases, maybe if they do a sequel, they should release it same day WW
    Unless it had had amazing reviews, which honestly it didn't deserve either, I think it would have done similarly. The marketing was poor, the "videogame movie" tag was all over the place and the very WoW fans were scared to be seen watching the movie.

Had they managed to market it as a new fantasy movie franchise and had the trailers not been awful, it could have done much better.

What I think doesn't matter. I want a source for this Mumbo Jumbo.
    Well, I think its more straight forward than then they are saying. Universal took 100m for marketing. The marketing was shitty in the US, where do you think that money went?

10+ Year Old Account
    Burned Teldrassil, cooking up tasty delicacies with all the elven fat I can gather
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulwind View Post
    Unless it had had amazing reviews, which honestly it didn't deserve either, I think it would have done similarly. The marketing was poor, the "videogame movie" tag was all over the place and the very WoW fans were scared to be seen watching the movie.

Had they managed to market it as a new fantasy movie franchise and had the trailers not been awful, it could have done much better.
    Pretty much this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keyblader View Post
    It's a general rule though that if you play horde you are a bad person irl. It's just a scientific fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Heladys View Post
    The game didn't give me any good reason to hate the horde. Forums did that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    The marketing was shitty in the US, where do you think that money went?
    In MTV adds, evidently. Here, they didn't even have cutouts in theaters like TMNT2 and Alice 2, and there was no review in the morning news.
    Also, as I wrote earlier, the MTV ad used that funny tagline, 'two words, one destiny' so it was hard to take it seriously due to its unintended meaning.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulwind View Post
    The problem with cutting a better trailer is that you have to put footage from Warcraft in the trailer, and so it's not going to be very good.

The trailers did a good job of minimizing the dreadful parts of the film (Garona and the human kingdom) and emphasizing what people were likely going to want to see in the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Mahourai View Post
    The problem with cutting a better trailer is that you have to put footage from Warcraft in the trailer, and so it's not going to be very good.

The trailers did a good job of minimizing the dreadful parts of the film (Garona and the human kingdom) and emphasizing what people were likely going to want to see in the movie.
    The PAX trailer for Warcraft was fucking amazing, so your argument is moot.

- - - Updated - - -

Still not sure why they didn't release the PAX trailer OR something similar. Sure it gave a lot away, but it'd put more butts in seats that's for sure.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tangocash View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Still not sure why they didn't release the PAX trailer OR something similar. Sure it gave a lot away, but it'd put more butts in seats that's for sure.

Marketing team.

Quote Originally Posted by tangocash View Post
    Uh, nah, that doesn't really make my "argument moot" (I wasn't making any "argument").