Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    I didnt say humans couldnt do it, i said we dont have a grasp on our current view of human history.
    No, YOU don't have a grasp on YOUR current view of human history. Our view is fine; you're the only one saying it can't be done "because reasons" when we've explained time and again how it could have been done.

Ive always questioned everything, this is how we move forward as a species.
    It's one thing to question everything, it's another to question everything, get an answer, and then say no because reasons (reasons in which you have yet to state).

Deleted
    I didnt say humans couldnt do it, i said we dont have a grasp on our current view of human history.
    Dear God... We have libraries full of possible workable explanations and we don't have a grasp?

Quote Originally Posted by Santti View Post
    Coming from a religious person, I find that amusing.
    I almost spilled my drink when I read it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

10+ Year Old Account
    So we humans did do it... but we also aren't 100% sure that we did it? That's what you're trying to propose here?

Deleted
    you dont.

The rest of us appear to have one.

You just claim every reasonable explanation is not correct, despite clear presentation of evidence to the contrary.

You dont grasp the concepts, thats fine, but before you tell people they are wrong, perhaps you go and learn some basic maths and engineering and then come back when you understand more?

btw, if you dont think that somethign can be true because you dont understand it or all the steps in a process.....then you must not believe we can make anything....right down to pencils....

Go read the "I pencil" essay....no one understands the totality of anything, but that does not matter in the end, we can still achieve things because others fill the gaps in our knowledge, its the end result of whats possible that matters, you dont have to have a total understanding of all steps in the process, you just need to know your bit and that you can achieve a result.

Do I know exactly how the pyramids were made? nope I don't need to. I do know enough about mechanics and engineering and maths, along with design of the pyramid with things like sloped central galleries providing counterweight lifts etc....to know it was possible in broad terms. As I'm not building a pyramid thats enough. Likewise I know enough theory to understand in broad terms how a computer is made and works, but not enough to actually make one....does that mean computers dont exist? then what am I typing this on?
    Last edited by mmoc3f25629bd0; 2016-07-18 at 07:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkTZeratul View Post
    No, YOU don't have a grasp on YOUR current view of human history. Our view is fine; you're the only one saying it can't be done "because reasons" when we've explained time and again how it could have been done.
    Ive tried to accept our current theories on how all of these ancient megaliths were constructed (and maybe more importantly, why) but they simply do not add up in my head. Is it a crime to question something when it goes against my best logic?

7+ Year Old Account
    Ive always questioned everything, this is how we move forward as a species.
    yes, and for this we have maths and physics.
    or in short

Formerly known as Arafal

10+ Year Old Account
    I do not know how computers work, therefore man cannot have built computers.

Ya i dont buy it, i cannot fathom a situation where it is this easily explainable as to how our ancient megaliths were constructed.
    It's not easily explainable. We throw tons of research into it, and we may come short.
    I'm fairly knowledgeable of certain construction techniques. But I won't comment on the logistics, seeing as we're still figuring what kind of labor was employed on each site. But we globally know *a lot*. It's not unfathomable or impossibly complex.
    You're not buying what little you've learnt. But the disciplines on the field are many, large, and diverse.

Ya i dont buy it, i cannot fathom a situation where it is this easily explainable as to how our ancient megaliths were constructed.
    Aside from the theories given in this thread, what answer are you hoping for? Aliens, magic, that ancient people had super awesome technology that we don't currently have?

I personally subscribe to the theory that the ancient folks had access to technology and a better understanding of physics. How, why and when it was lost is unexplainable.

Quote Originally Posted by nextormento View Post
    It's not easily explainable. We throw tons of research into it, and we may come short.
    I'm fairly knowledgeable of certain construction techniques. But I won't comment on the logistics, seeing as we're still figuring what kind of labor was employed on each site. But we globally know *a lot*. It's not unfathomable or impossibly complex.
    Id love to see you go into detail on this even a little bit. There are free standing blocks of stone that weigh upwards of 1000 tons that have been moved a good distance, how was that possible knowing what we know of our ancestors in that time period?

You cannot tell me the pyramids were built with ropes and logs, nope not buying it!

As impressive as the great pyramid is, there are other ancient structures just as unexplainable:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pumapunku
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unfinished_obelisk
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baalbek
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karnak

Honestly the list goes on endlessly, our best guesses being unbelievably primitive techniques that are woefully insufficient in explaining how or why these sites/structures were built.

LET ME GET OUT OF THE WAY I AM NOT A ANCIENT ALIEN NUT. I simply believe that there is far more to our history than what the record books show, and man is that exciting to me.

There is no getting around the engineering aspect of the whole thing, take the obelisk linked above....we literally dont have a crane on the planet that can even LIFT that stone lol. Yet we are supposed to believe it was done with ropes and logs.

This subject is infinitely interesting to me, does no one else ponder this stuff? I want to know earth's history, the real one!
    Like other people said.....technology did not grow from point a to point k. It grew to point h then went back to c then to i then back to f.
    The dark ages allot of tech was lost. Rope's and logs did do engouh. they have even proved it by replicating it with rope and logs. its doable. You think like a modern man/women. Some of those old wonders took dozens of years to build. So something so slow as rope and logs could be used to make things. As for making straight lines.......come one. Whe have things in our head called eyes. If its not straight...cut/sand it down until it is.

The huge stones is just one part, how do you explain sites with very very large stones fitting together with no mortar, this is a very common occurence when looking at ancient megalithic sites. Or how about the first site i linked puma punku, how do you explain those intricately cut stones? They look like they were done on a CNC machine.
    Artisans are impressive. You spend your whole life doing nothing but carving up rocks you get pretty good at it. You do even better if it's for a god-king who will have you executed if you get it wrong.

Deleted
    Ive tried to accept our current theories on how all of these ancient megaliths were constructed (and maybe more importantly, why) but they simply do not add up in my head. Is it a crime to question something when it goes against my best logic?
    Can you build a nuclear bomb, Oh Mighty Supreme Genius?

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    That, and you can get fairly amazing things done with a large body of unpaid conscript labor.

Exactly how difficult is it to pile some stones into a pyramid if you have the GDP of an entire country behind the project?
    How many ropes can you tie to a 60 ton rock? How many hands can you put on it, or the ropes? We are legitimately unsure how they managed this, as we cannot fathom how we would do it today with no cranes or other equipment. We can't even math out a boat that can displace 60 tons in shallow water.

That said, we do know how the Romans did a lot of what they built, and the engineering involved to make tall structures with no cranes is pretty impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightwysh View Post
    Aside from the theories given in this thread, what answer are you hoping for? Aliens, magic, that ancient people had super awesome technology that we don't currently have?

I personally subscribe to the theory that the ancient folks had access to technology and a better understanding of physics. How, why and when it was lost is unexplainable.
    These are the responses i am looking for, we knew MORE back then...but HOW! What happened from 4k-15k years ago that we had a better grasp of reality than we do now? (at least in regards to building techniques!)

Id love to see you go into detail on this even a little bit. There are free standing blocks of stone that weigh upwards of 1000 tons that have been moved a good distance, how was that possible knowing what we know of our ancestors in that time period?
    Easy: you grossly underestimate what our ancestors knew. For instance, it may interest you to know that not only have people known for millennia that the Earth was round, but that Eratosthenes calculated its circumference with a surprising degree of accuracy around 200 BCE.

Also, for the third time, this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jD-EMOhbJ9U
    Last edited by DarkTZeratul; 2016-07-18 at 07:32 PM.

Deleted
    These are the responses i am looking for, we knew MORE back then...but HOW! What happened from 4k-15k years ago that we had a better grasp of reality than we do now? (at least in regards to building techniques!)
    ... It's not that we don't how it's possible, it's that we don't know how they did.

Do you know how to build a nuclear bomb?

Quote Originally Posted by DarkTZeratul View Post
    Easy: you grossly underestimate what our ancestors knew. Also, for the third time, this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jD-EMOhbJ9U
    Stonehenge is an impressive structure, but it PALES and when i say pales i mean it PALES in comparison to some of the structures that i have taken into question in this thread.