Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Wish that would be true but it will never happen

Quote Originally Posted by Mefistophelis View Post
    We are in a new gaming age. If blizzard updated the graphics to like Unreal4 or whatever then it wouldn't be WOW. It loses that feeling.
    In the current age of gaming, people play mobas and shooters, games that don't need 100s of hours of investment. And despite the efforts Blizzard has done to make WoW appeal to people that have less time to spend, it's still not enough or it's being frowned upon by elitists and pseudo-elitists.
    It doesn't lose the feeling, it enhances it. Current tree and ground textures are terrible in old world zones like Felwood etc. Unreal 4 would keep the exact same style, just give all the existing textures higher resolutions to improve the immersion.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Pandragon View Post
    do to the fact your computer would die trying to render wow in that engine....no your dream wont come true.
    Not really. Computers today are extremely cheap and powerful. I'd bet a mid range PC with an i5 and 8GB ram could run unreal 4 engine at low/medium settings, which would look better than wows current high/ultra settings.

Herald of the Titans MrKnubbles's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    You don't like transmog? That is by far my absolute favorite addition to the game.
    Check out my game, Craftsmith, on the Google Play Store!

Quote Originally Posted by Mefistophelis View Post
    Everyone saying stuff about losing 10 million subs that could be tangled to the changes of the game... it has become alot better in the years following Vanilla.
    Nobody has sat down for a moment to think that the kids that played Vanilla are now grown ups and most of them have jobs and families.
    The gaming age has changed from an MMORPG-centric to a MOBA-centric. You can't blame the changes for the sub loses.
    People have thought about that plenty, and it's generally horse shit. The droves of "I've got no time to play" subscribers also tend to have armies of alts at their disposal, which points to the basic idea that time management is their issue more than the amount of play time available itself.

Additionally, if player age is any indicator, then at some point the game simply stopped attracting new players and retaining existing ones. The reduction in new player mass appeal might stem from the idea that at some point in most markets, anyone interested in the game had already tried it by the time peak subs were experienced. The decline in player retention can at least partially attributed to a whole slew of various mis-steps taken in this game's design along the way, that have been referenced many times by many people.... and yes, sub losses can at least be partially attributable to poorly implemented changes in the game over the years. One does not gain several million subscribers at the launch of an expansion, then lose almost twice that in the very next quarter without something other than "the game's just old" going on.

There's a good chance that the 10+ million mark was nothing other than a right place / right time circumstance, one that should be looked at as an occurrence rather than a standard to define success by. It hardly matters anyhow. MMO's are a niche genre by their nature, and none of them "need" a subscriber number that high to stay alive, maintain an active developer roster, or to continue pushing new content to players.

Not all is bad, however. Graphics have improved in all aspects, and in-game storytelling has become more effective over the years. The rest? There's been plenty of changes, but I'd almost argue that most of them have been steps away from the games roots rather than positive evolution.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Greedy View Post
    Am I being unrealistic?
    100% yes /10

Well, WoW lost more like 90 million subs because it had a 100 million different accounts over the last decade.

The comic grafics are actually easy on the eyes, if WoW had more photorealistic grafics I couldn't play it as long as I do.

Elemental Lord Lady Dragonheart's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Amongst the Wilds, or in my Garrison... >.>
    Yes, you are being unrealistic. Any recreation of vanilla WoW would be a horrible waste of time, resources, and money on Blizzard's part.
    I am both the Lady of Dusk, Vheliana Nightwing & Dark Priestess of Lust, Loreleî Legace!
    ~~ ~~
    <3 ~ I am also the ever-enticing leader of <The Coven of Dusk Desires> on Moon Guard!

Why aren't new generations of kids joining wow then if wow has become better over the years as you put?

I showed my young brother wow and he said the graphics looked like garbage. He's used to GTA V graphics.

Kids today are spoilt with ultra realistic looking games, that WoW is a relic not worth their time.

Blizz needs to update WoW graphics to attract kids to wow like it did in 2004 when all my school friends played wow.

Wows subs are aging and soon people who play wow will be too old to play it, and at that point wow will dp be so old and no new kids today will want to play it. Actually I think that has already happened.

Yup, kids these days only play ultra realistic looking games like LoL...

The resources should be spent on WoW of today and the future of the game instead of wasted on people mentally stuck in 2004. All there is to this, really.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    Vanilla WoW sucked compared to today's WoW, and i am on of that 0.1% that went into Naxxramas and killed like 9 bosses in there, so yes, i did play that game as it was.
    Still doesn't change that today's WoW sucks compared to Vanilla. Actually, it sucks comapred to TBC and WOTLK as well. Went down hill when Cataclysm was released. Thanks Obama.

What they need to do, is create a new engine at some point, release the next expansion as a standalone so it can have a logical size and time to make and not be 40GB just carry over the database of items/icons so people wont cry about their achievements and implement them slowly/whenever possible as they update stuff, which is probably impossible or the time required is something they simply wont do.
    Why not use the OverWatch engine?

Vanilla WoW sucked compared to today's WoW,
    Nice opinion as fact there. I guess I could toss around sub numbers as "fact" that you're wrong, but even that is just hyperbole.

The matter of fact is, both Vanilla and today have appeal to people. Neither one is quantifiable better, just opinion based better or worse. To me, today's WoW is an extremely watered down, no challenge, Facebook level game. You can see it all and do it all in a matter of days, and the only "difficulty" to be had is in artificially inflated game modes, not actual hard content. I resubbed today on a token to check things out and I've got a character to level 20 with no heirlooms in about 3 hours. I've hopped in dungeons where no one talks, and the healer might as well sit on their thumb with how little they actually have to do. Forgive me, but Vanilla WoW actually was a challenge. You took time to level. You took your time in dungeons because they were actually a challenge to do without dying. If you think today's level of game is fun when you can literally see and do everything in a long weekend is fun, by all means, your opinion is valid. At the same time though, when I consider that no fun and watered down, my opinion is also just as valid and just as right.

So all that aside, to answer OPs question, yeah it's not going to happen. Blizzard is going to milk WoW for all it's worth, and when it stops being prosperous, they'll close it down. The only way they would update it is if they either have no choice to or they think it's going to make them a lot of money to do so. As that's not the case, it's unlikely they will.

7+ Year Old Account
    It doesn't lose the feeling, it enhances it. Current tree and ground textures are terrible in old world zones like Felwood etc. Unreal 4 would keep the exact same style, just give all the existing textures higher resolutions to improve the immersion.

- - - Updated - - -

Not really. Computers today are extremely cheap and powerful. I'd bet a mid range PC with an i5 and 8GB ram could run unreal 4 engine at low/medium settings, which would look better than wows current high/ultra settings.
    I don't think you understand how game engines work. The current engine supports higher textures too. If they just somehow magically ported WoW into UE4 it wouldn't change the quality of textures, if they are lets say 512x512 in the current game, they would stay like that.

Most older models would also stay like squares
    If they did update it from the 512x512(don't quote me on this, I made it up) to lets say 2048x2048, each texture would be 16 times as large, which would lead to MUCH longer load times and we would probably see loading screens between each zone.

This would also probably boost the game size to maybe even close to 80-100GB if they did it for all textures
    Last edited by Shadochi; 2016-07-20 at 12:17 AM.
    #1 Hype-Thread Shitposter - Overlord of the Hypethread

Quote Originally Posted by Theoris View Post
    Are we really back to talking about this? I think the whole Nostalrius thing people lost their minds about proved that your dream was dragged into an alleyway, shot, and finally buried in an unmarked grave.
    Not at all. Thats you misunderstanding the whole situation.
    You should have read the nostalrius dev team-report of their meeting with blizz.
    Legacy Servers WILL happen... its no longer a question, the question is when... its going to take more work than you can ever imagine.

They are gonna announce something about it in blizzcon for sure. Blizzard is a company... just that they wont talk about it NOW doesnt mean NEVER, they have blizzcon which is where they put all major announcements so they are obviously saving big things like next expansions and... vanilla servers.

Its a group of people just as much as it is a company... those people like games too and they have already stated they enjoyed trying nostalrius.

Vanilla brings people closer together... thats how it works... today's wow does the exact opposite, LFR and LFG-tool generates toxicity due to anonymity. Its been witnessed from time and time again.

That's your opinion but the loss of 10 million subs tells us wow is not better now. And the popularity of Nostalrius also tells us people want vanilla wow, and only vanilla wow, no xpacs, xmog etc
    The loss of subs tells us nothing.
    There have been thousands of changes over that time.
    Again some silly person attributing their personal handful of gripes, pulling out only the changes they want to complain about while ignoring the rest.
    And ignoring external factors like it being 10 years now, there being more competition than ever etc.

You make a point about opinions, but then state yours like it is fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Otaka View Post
    You should have read the nostalrius dev team-report of their meeting with blizz.
    Legacy Servers WILL happen... its no longer a question, the question is when... its going to take more work than you can ever imagine.

They are gonna announce something about it in blizzcon for sure. Blizzard is a company... just that they wont talk about it NOW doesnt mean NEVER, they have blizzcon which is where they put all major announcements so they are obviously saving big things like next expansions and... vanilla servers.

Its a group of people just as much as it is a company... those people like games too and they have already stated they enjoyed trying nostalrius.

Vanilla brings people closer together... thats how it works... today's wow does the exact opposite, LFR and LFG-tool generates toxicity due to anonymity. Its been witnessed from time and time again.
    Rubbish.
    Shoving people together never made them social.
    Social interactions are positive by choice.
    Look at the dalaran daily heroic which used to prompt trade spam, and then barely 2 words over the course of the dungeon.
    That was not social in the slightest unless a player wanted to make it so.

And that is the problem, players don't want it.
    They set more rules, more barriers, and then blame anyone but themselves for the consequences of it.
    Again just like the OP you attribute cherry-picked changes out as proof of something, a tiny fraction of those that actually happened over that time.
    You proved nothing.

If the vanilla servers happen, and pull toxic people like this out of the modern game, then they can't come soon enough.
    Last edited by ComputerNerd; 2016-07-20 at 12:35 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

Quote Originally Posted by Thetruth1400 View Post
    Nice opinion as fact there. I guess I could toss around sub numbers as "fact" that you're wrong, but even that is just hyperbole.
    This has been repeated so much.

Subscription drop is simply because MMORPG'S ARENT APPEALING, they arent the cool thing, THIS IS NOT 2005, ITS 2016, IT WAS 2010.

Being Diamond in LoL/5K MMR+ in Dota/Legendary Eagle and above in CS:GO, thats whats appealing to teens and younger people for the last 5 years, it has nothing to do with WoW.

Faster games with e-peen is the trend, not World of Warcraft, or any MMO.

WoD has 10 million subs for a few months, cause OLDER PLAYERS CAME TO CHECK OUT, they did,they left, sub drop, repeat.

Younger people are not interested in World of Warcraft, yes graphics is one of those problems, but its mostly the fact thats IT IS NOT THE TREND, IT IS NOT THE COOL THING, THE KIDS DONT CARE.

Its cool being Diamond in LoL, your friends "worship you" its cool being 5k+ mmr in dota, higher the better, its cool having a high rank in CS:GO, friends drool over you and so on.

Same reason as it was cool to wear your full set or legendary when it was 2005.

Different periods, different times, different mindsets, MMO's are dead as a genre cause the new generations do not care for them.

AND GUESS WHATS THE TRICK WORD!

THEY ARE FREE! OR B2P FOR 5$ DURING SALES FOR CS:GO!
    Last edited by potis; 2016-07-20 at 01:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Otaka View Post
    Well, I just read it. They said they are to meet with Blizzard, so nothing has been set in stone. Just because they're having a meeting it doesn't guarantee Legacy servers.

Unless the Nost guys manage to convince Blizzard and Legacy servers become a thing, it will probably be a blue post at best.

I played long before the LFG tool was implemented and almost every time someone tried to start a conversation in a dungeon run - and unless it was a group of friends - they would get either:
    > "Focus", "don't talk" or simply "shut up"
    > A short, noncommittal response from two more players or maybe everyone
    > No response at all (which was/is 99% of the time)

The point is, it has always been like that and it still is, so the "LFR and LFG-tool generates toxicity due to anonymity" point falls flat on its ass. Toxicity is not limited to LFR and the LFG tool; that's a bullshit argument and you know it.
    ...And players are still anonymous no matter what server they are from or however they queue up for a dungeon, so I don't really understand what you're on about.
    Last edited by Theoris; 2016-07-20 at 01:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadochi View Post
    I don't think you understand how game engines work. The current engine supports higher textures too. If they just somehow magically ported WoW into UE4 it wouldn't change the quality of textures, if they are lets say 512x512 in the current game, they would stay like that.
    Precisely. Changing the engine might enable them to have higher-quality graphics, but wouldn't improve the graphics that are already there. That would require them to manually recreate them all at a higher quality, which would not only take an inordinate amount of time but could actually already be done right now with the current engine.

Vanilla WoW sucked compared to today's WoW, and i am on of that 0.1% that went into Naxxramas and killed like 9 bosses in there, so yes, i did play that game as it was.

Get out of your nostalgia bubble.

What they need to do, is create a new engine at some point, release the next expansion as a standalone so it can have a logical size and time to make and not be 40GB just carry over the database of items/icons so people wont cry about their achievements and implement them slowly/whenever possible as they update stuff, which is probably impossible or the time required is something they simply wont do.
    The age of the MMO in the classic sense is over

The age of microtransactions is the new reality

Better looking graphics do not make a better game.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyindor View Post
    The age of the MMO in the classic sense is over

The age of microtransactions is the new reality
    Tell that to the keyboard warriors playing from home with no sense of reality.