Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

The girls school where girls are banned

Link: http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/par...92b1a80ec0af6e
    Source (subscription required): http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/new...e15d3972820d21

A LEADING Sydney girls’ school’s decision to eliminate gender-specific terms from its teachers’ vocabularies has prompted calls for sackings and government intervention at the exclusive institution.

Teachers at the prestigious northwest Sydney school, Cheltenham Girls High School, have been asked to stop referring to students as “girls”, “ladies” and “women”, and use only gender-neutral language, The Daily Telegraph today reported.

The request was put to teachers at a staff meeting earlier this year discussing the implementation of the Safe Schools anti-bullying program, the newspaper reports.

It was suggested to teachers that by using such language they could be seen to be breaking the law and could be at risk of being sued by LGBTI students.

10+ Year Old Account
    I mean.. this is a bit too far right? Am I the only one thinking that? When are we just going to cut to the chase and just refer to everyone as organisms? "Good morning organisms! Get out your textbooks and turn to chapter 5".

Reading all the way to the end is hard.
    In an interview with Macquarie Radio, the Minister confirmed there was a meeting at the school reminding teachers of discriminatory language and denied it was connected to Safe Schools.
    “I don’t think there’s anything improper about that,” he said.
    A spokesman for the NSW Department of Education told news.com.au gender-specific terms would still be used by teachers at the school.
    “Gender-specific terms will continue to be used by Cheltenham Girls’ High School when referring to students.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's hard to believe this debate/argument/discussion (or whatever you want to call it) is even happening. If you're at an all girls school, what are you? A girl, obviously. If you don't identify as that, then maybe don't go to that school.

7+ Year Old Account
    It was suggested to teachers that by using such language they could be seen to be breaking the law and could be at risk of being sued by LGBTI students.
    Is this a joke? It may be nice to call people based on how they identify, but people have a right to free expression, nobody should be forced into verbally recognizing your label.
    Last edited by PC2; 2016-07-20 at 05:25 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by StaticHound View Post
    I mean.. this is a bit too far right? Am I the only one thinking that? When are we just going to cut to the chase and just refer to everyone as organisms? "Good morning organisms! Get out your textbooks and turn to chapter 5".
    I don't even see anything wrong with calling everyone something neutral if I'm honest, but I don't know what's wrong with gendered terms either. I just don't see what the point is in changing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by StaticHound View Post
    You aren't the only one. This is fucking ridiculous.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably laying somewhere frozen and cold.
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimaryColor View Post
    Is this a joke? It may be nice to call people based on how they identify, but people have a right to free expression, nobody should be forced into verbally recognizing your label.
    So why should anyone forcibly accept your, or anyone elses' label then? Because it's at the behest of society, or because it's simply a language of convenience? If you want to go all philosophical, you might want to avoid using round table arguments.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Felfury View Post
    I don't even see anything wrong with calling everyone something neutral if I'm honest, but I don't know what's wrong with gendered terms either. I just don't see what the point is in changing.
    The problem with gendered terms is that you have a subsets of subsets of minorities of minorities screaming at the top of their lungs to push their one sided, single perspective narrative without any recognition or realization that there are other perspectives, ideas and ways things like this could be implemented.

It doesn't matter who these people are, these one track minds are always going to show the worst in an otherwise noteworthy cause.
    There are no worse scum in this world than fascists, rebels and political hypocrites.
    Donald Trump is only like Hitler because of the fact he's losing this war on all fronts.
    Apparently condemning a fascist ideology is the same as being fascist. And who the fuck are you to say I can't be fascist against fascist ideologies?
    If merit was the only dividing factor in the human race, then everyone on Earth would be pretty damn equal.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Manabomb View Post
    So why should anyone forcibly accept your, or anyone elses' label then? Because it's at the behest of society, or because it's simply a language of convenience? If you want to go all philosophical, you might want to avoid using round table arguments.
    Of course they shouldn't be forced to, it should be their choice. If they need to communicate with me they really don't need to know my sexual desires.

Quote Originally Posted by Nafu0 View Post
    In an interview with Macquarie Radio, the Minister confirmed there was a meeting at the school reminding teachers of discriminatory language and denied it was connected to Safe Schools.
    “I don’t think there’s anything improper about that,” he said.
    A spokesman for the NSW Department of Education told news.com.au gender-specific terms would still be used by teachers at the school.
    “Gender-specific terms will continue to be used by Cheltenham Girls’ High School when referring to students.
    "He said." Well of course a CIS shitlord misogynist would say that. He is literally raping them by referring to them as girls.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tollshot View Post
    No they don't.
    You just disagreed with me. Should you be put in jail because of it?

How about "Carbon based life form", or "ugly bags of mostly water"?

There are some who you can never make happy, so why bother trying?

Quote Originally Posted by Forgettable View Post
    It's hard to believe this debate/argument/discussion (or whatever you want to call it) is even happening. If you're at an all girls school, what are you? A girl, obviously. If you don't identify as that, then maybe don't go to that school.
    Shocking right?

So if they cant call them girls, what are they calling them?

"Hey you, Human, can i talk to you for a sec?"
    "Hello bipeds!"

In before the usual suspects saying stuff along the lines of "What is SJW? This never happens outside the deepest corners of Internet lol, y u fearmongering?"

Quote Originally Posted by Manabomb View Post

- - - Updated - - -

The problem with gendered terms is that you have a subsets of subsets of minorities of minorities screaming at the top of their lungs to push their one sided, single perspective narrative without any recognition or realization that there are other perspectives, ideas and ways things like this could be implemented.

It doesn't matter who these people are, these one track minds are always going to show the worst in an otherwise noteworthy cause.
    Yes because society determines those things. Don't like it? Go be a hermit. We shouldn't have to keep changing things for a .01% of the population.

15+ Year Old Account
    Fuck I hate my country sometimes.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Knaar View Post
    So if they cant call them girls, what are they calling them?

"Hey you, Human, can i talk to you for a sec?"
    "Hello bipeds!"
    When was the last time you explicitily said "Excuse me, Girl/Woman"?

New addition to my "top 10 fucked up things I've seen in my life" list.

Deleted
    Also, OT : People can't read and put BS bait, as per usual.

Read the whole article, boys.