Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Enh Shaman Boulderfist playstyle

Liking my Enh Shaman in 7.0 so far but there is a consensus of picking boulderfist (Icy Veins/word up) as level 15 talent. I find when I pick this talent I have no filler spell. If I keep up with Stormstrike and crash lightning I don't have enough maelstrom (outside of wolves). So if i pick this talent should I just wait to build up maelstrom, with no filler spell. I hate downtime...
    I have ilevel 730ish.
    Any suggestions?

My suggestion is to switch to Hot Hand if you don't mind downtime.

Quote Originally Posted by Paula Deen View Post
    My suggestion is to switch to Hot Hand if you don't mind downtime.
    Yeah might have to. Just wondering if I'm playing the spec correctly having downtime with boulderfist talent or is there another button I could be pushing.

I thought Windsong was ahead of hot hands?

Deleted
    I love downtime! Time to think, assess the situation, plan ahead, take a breather, anything as opposed to building up to that RSI.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Westtoast12 View Post
    Liking my Enh Shaman in 7.0 so far but there is a consensus of picking boulderfist (Icy Veins/word up) as level 15 talent. I find when I pick this talent I have no filler spell. If I keep up with Stormstrike and crash lightning I don't have enough maelstrom (outside of wolves). So if i pick this talent should I just wait to build up maelstrom, with no filler spell. I hate downtime...
    I have ilevel 730ish.
    Any suggestions?
    Boulderfist ist intended for a non gcd locked playstyle. If you hate downtime you should pick another talent and play with rockbiter as your filler spell.

You can fill by renewing Flametongue if you want.
    Author, Hekili, a priority helper addon.

Quote Originally Posted by Hekili View Post
    You can fill by renewing Flametongue if you want.
    Flametongue has a 12s cd.

Yeah might have to. Just wondering if I'm playing the spec correctly having downtime with boulderfist talent or is there another button I could be pushing.
    There will be downtime if you play with Boulderfist

Even in the Beta with the artifact weapon spell to give you MS regen on a 1 min CD you will still have downtime

Which is why if you pick Boulderfist you also pick Hailstorm and just hack away with your AAs

10+ Year Old Account
    With Rockbiter you are GCD locked (only thing stopping you from hitting a button is the GCD). With boulderfist you are more resource locked (the only thing stopping you from hitting a button is Mealstrom power, either you dont have any or you dont wanna spend any cuz you wanna hit SS on cd). Personally, I'm loving the latter over the former since I no longer feel like I'm playing whack-a-mole with my keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Izenhart View Post
    There will be downtime if you play with Boulderfist
    Quote Originally Posted by Izenhart View Post

Even in the Beta with the artifact weapon spell to give you MS regen on a 1 min CD you will still have downtime

Which is why if you pick Boulderfist you also pick Hailstorm and just hack away with your AAs

But won't picking Hailstrom mean you can no longer get the extra haste from Ans Swiftness
    Last edited by DeWumpus; 2016-07-20 at 07:38 PM.
    I can stand the sight of worms,
    And look at microscopic germs,
    But Technicolor pachyderms,
    Is really too much for me.

Tragic victim of Altitis

Quote Originally Posted by Bludstorm View Post

But won't picking Hailstrom mean you can no longer get the extra haste from Ans Swiftness[/FONT]

Yes it will, but it's still better

Well when I play with boulderfist I have some downtime, but with good management whenever I happen to have that I have enough maelstrom to keep up with CL, keep up frostbrand and use a lava lash before SS comes off CD. I also always have enough maelstrom for the procs and such. The point of the boulderfist build is to avoid having to fill every GCD, so its okay if you have some downtime.

With good management, you can keep enough maelstrom so you can keep up with SS and its procs, CL, frostbrand and possibly getting one lava lash in there as filler when your at 115 or above maelstrom. It can happen for sure, but you will definitely have some downtime.

Id check out wordups guide, he gives the accurate info.

Introducing some downtime into the rotation is the entire point of Boulderfist.

10+ Year Old Account
    My question is, for now, how superior - dps/dmg wise - is BF compared to the other two?

If my memory doesn't fail me, what wordup said in his video is that LL is used only when you're over 80 MS or something. If that is so, then the rotation comes down keeping your 2 buffs up, BF, SS and the chain thing. That seems rather empty no.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold21 View Post
    My question is, for now, how superior - dps/dmg wise - is BF compared to the other two?

If my memory doesn't fail me, what wordup said in his video is that LL is used only when you're over 80 MS or something. If that is so, then the rotation comes down keeping your 2 buffs up, BF, SS and the chain thing. That seems rather empty no.
    The point of Boulderfist is to have gaps. The point of sticking with Rockbiter is that you always have something to push, even if it is just Rockbiter.

If you're bored and want to push a button as Boulderfist, you have Flametongue you can refresh for free and a little bit of damage.
    Author, Hekili, a priority helper addon.

Deleted
    The point of Boulderfist is to give the spec downtime. Some people don't like to be GCD-locked. I'm not sure how viable it is to take something else, though.

Eh - I mean if you're lacking something to do, you can always use lightning bolt.. but yes boulderfist is not gcd locked.

Quote Originally Posted by Gulrok View Post
    Eh - I mean if you're lacking something to do, you can always use lightning bolt.. but yes boulderfist is not gcd locked.
    Lightning bolt resets the swing timer.

Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    Lightning bolt resets the swing timer.
    I know I was throwing in an unhelpful comment.

If you're flat out against downtime, take Windsong. It's worse currently but it is GCD locked.