Is Assassination the top dps spec in Beta?

I came back from a break and I was only using Sub/Combat. Should I switch over to Assassination?

It depends what you're attacking and how.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ryqen View Post
    What I could gather from playing hundreds of skirmishes and tens of bgs:

Sub:
    + good control (has blind but no gauge, which is kind of a dealbreaker to me)
    + good mobility (sprint, shadowstep, and shadowstrike allways ports you behind the target, if you are out of meele-range)
    + only specc that will get smokebomb via PvP-Talents

- the damage is beyond ridiculous, in a bad way, I really hope it gets buffed
    - there is no shadowdance bar anymore (which is a dealbreaker to some although it really needs some training and you will get used to it kinda fast)
    - did i mention very low damage? no? well, it does really low damage

Assassination

+ BLEEDS! yeah, they do huge amounts of damage, you can literally melt your target especially with exsanguinate!
    + you got garrote, which silences if used from stealth

- less control then the other 2 speccs as he is missing both gauge AND blind (which again, is a dealbreaker to me)
    - not that good mobility to be honest, once you blew your sprint and SS you are done if kited well
    - you are very easily trained down as you don't have any peel when vanish and kidney are on cd

Outlaw

+ you do good amounts of damage
    + highest control of all the 3 speccs (you got both blind and gauge in addition to the stuns)
    + you have a range stun and a range slow! yes, very cool, i know! the gun is just badass imo too
    + although u have just sprint and one gap closer (which is 30sec cd) aswell, you still do better than assa in "mobility" as you got some mid-ranged spells
    + dismantle again through PvP-Talents! (at lvl 110 obviously)

+ rng! yeah roll the bones is kind of a bad mechanic, if you have luck you most probably are god himself and with no luck the specc feels slow

Sooo to conclude it:

Sub needs some serious buff, then it may be meta in highrated Arena i guess
    Assa does high amounts of damage but is more of a BG and wpvp specc then Arena imho
    Outlaw is the current allrounder if you ask me. Arenas, bgs and wpvp, it does quite good everywhere and if you don't mind some rng it can be damn fun aswell!
    as i stated in the other thread

Quote Originally Posted by ryqen View Post
    as i stated in the other thread
    He asked for top DPS though, not what works best in PvP.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Celfydd View Post
    He asked for top DPS though, not what works best in PvP.
    oh, looks like i missread something there, my bad..

edit: from what i could read off the Forum assa is best ST atm followed from Sub and Outlaw i heard different views.. some say ist the lowest of all 3 and some say ist actually quite decent

but i guess u cant do something wrong with assa right now

Deleted
    Looks like sub is good atm, but not as good as Assa with low gear. Some people feel like Assa won't scale well because of the bleeds damage doing all of the rogues damage, but a lot of people are convinced that Sub is going to be scaling pretty well.

If Sub can be as good as Assa early on, I'm sure I'm going to play it just because it's scaling we'll. I don't know about outlaw, the damage tuning isn't really good atm :/

Deleted
    Assassination is by far the strongest DPS spec in beta, with Windwalker coming second.

But the DPS balance is so out of whack. Just go test it yourself on the lvl 110 pvp premades with full artifacts. You'll do about 200K sustained DPS on the boss dummies, while for example an Arms Warrior has to be lucky to even get to 100K DPS. That's how crazy it is. If Assa got nerfed 20% tomorrow it would still be the best spec in the game.

^ Sub isn't anywhere near Assassination DPS atm. It's not terrible compared to some other classes, but Assa is in a whole other league. Don't take my word for it. Just follow the icy veins guide for Assassination like a robot and go punch those dummies. You'll do twice the damage most classes do.
    Last edited by mmoc92c203c636; 2016-07-22 at 10:04 AM.

Deleted
    Just like in WoD I will give a shit about Sub as long I'm not the last in Dps. Done good with Assa before, I'm doing great now in pre-patch, and I will be good with Legion so ... Assa all the way

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowslim View Post
    Just like in WoD I will give a shit about Sub as long I'm not the last in Dps. Done good with Assa before, I'm doing great now in pre-patch, and I will be good with Legion so ... Assa all the way
    Funny that you say that. I used to be the same (Assa for life) but my guild kept pressuring me to go Sub and when I did I was doing easily 50% more dps. I'm kinda happy to go back and try Assa again.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracovian View Post
    Funny that you say that. I used to be the same (Assa for life) but my guild kept pressuring me to go Sub and when I did I was doing easily 50% more dps. I'm kinda happy to go back and try Assa again.
    As long as you make your decision based on mechanics, not on numbers. There's no way assassination damage stays as it currently is on beta. I just spent about three hours whacking the boss dummy and did about 185K dps sustained (10mins or longer) in the starter pvp gear with max lvl and max artifacts. For Sub the best I could get was about 130K sustained. About 105K for Marksmanship. About 85K for Arms. The numbers are so completely out of whack it's unreal.

Quote Originally Posted by kensai666 View Post
    As long as you make your decision based on mechanics, not on numbers. There's no way assassination damage stays as it currently is on beta. I just spent about three hours whacking the boss dummy and did about 185K dps sustained (10mins or longer) in the starter pvp gear with max lvl and max artifacts. For Sub the best I could get was about 130K sustained. About 105K for Marksmanship. About 85K for Arms. The numbers are so completely out of whack it's unreal.
    That is just because the scaling on rupture is pretty bad, meaning at low ilvl yes the assa dmg is insane but as you go up in ilvls rupture dmg is not increasing by much and at BiS gear rupture damage is only 3rd best dmg spell(low ilvls its like 50% of dmg done).

I wish they changed it so that rupture scales better but does less dmg at low ilvls. But if they nerf rupture they have to buff something else or its dead in the water.

All specs are good just choose what you think is the most fun(unless you are gonna raid mythic then go Assa early atleast)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracovian View Post
    Good thing for me is, that my old guild is regrouping for a more casual play style, so I don't bother to be a MASSIVE DPS BEAST. I will be there and it will be fine

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by kensai666 View Post
    Dummies always have been a great way to be blind about class balance. And numbers out of your ass without any kind of ilvl/artifact progression noticing is always a great way to give bad advices.

Try to go out in the world, in instanced PvE at least and see if you still top meters by far. Assa has a huge burst and only really needs low Artifact Power to compete in single, it's god awful in AoE compared to many classes.

For OP, yes Assa is the top rogue spec on beta on single. Sub is a little behind but looks better on AoE. Outlaw is heavily RNG dependant and the APL isn't polished yet for Outlaw its hard to say how good it is.