Deleted

David Duke announces he is running for senator of Louisiana

Source: http://www.politico.com/story/2016/0...uisiana-226023

Former Ku Klux Klan leader David Duke announced Friday on his website that he plans to run for U.S. Senate in Louisiana.

A registered Republican, he would be seeking an open seat vacated by Republican David Vitter.

Duke's announcement came as the state is grappling with deep racial tensions after the shooting death of a black man by white police officers and the killing of three law enforcement officers by a black man. It also came one day after Donald Trump accepted the GOP nomination for president.

The white supremacist Duke is a former state representative who represented suburban New Orleans for one term more than two decades ago and was an unsuccessful candidate for Congress. His failed bid for governor in the 1991 race against former Gov. Edwin Edwards was one of Louisiana's most high-profile elections, with Duke opponents proudly showing bumper stickers supporting Edwards that read "Vote for the crook. It's important."

In a posting on his website, Duke said he'd been "urged by enormous numbers of people his district to run for United States Congress."

"With the country coming apart at the seams and no one willing to really speak the truth about what is happening, the majority population in this country needs someone who will actually give voice to their interests in the face of an increasingly violent hatefest launched by the media and political establishment against them," Duke's website says.

Duke is a convicted felon, pleading guilty in 2002 to bilking his supporters and cheating on his taxes. He spent a year in federal prison, but later denied any wrongdoing.
    You can't make this shit up.

10+ Year Old Account
    He's come a long way from his bootlegging days in Hazzard County.

Quote Originally Posted by sztyrymytyry View Post
    Source: http://www.politico.com/story/2016/0...uisiana-226023

You can't make this shit up.
    Make what up? This isn't the first time he has run for office.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    He's come a long way from his bootlegging days in Hazzard County.
    David Duke might be the only way you can make a Dukes of Hazzard joke where the TV show isn't the racist. Nice work, Kalis.

10+ Year Old Account
    Given how the Trump campaign has brought out the white supremacists from the shadows it's a bit scary that I can't say with certainty that he'll lose.

15+ Year Old Account
    If I was 30 I would consider running against him. It would be so easy to win.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Quote Originally Posted by Lenonis View Post
    Given how the Trump campaign has brought out the white supremacists from the shadows it's a bit scary that I can't say with certainty that he'll lose.
    Do you think they were not voting all along? I assure you, Trump had their vote the day he announced as a Republican.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    If I was 30 I would consider running against him. It would be so easy to win.
    He is running in Louisiana. His views might not be in the minority there, no pun intended.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tijuana View Post
    Do you think they were not voting all along? I assure you, Trump had their vote the day he announced as a Republican.
    That's probably true. It's just a bit disturbing to see it so openly displayed. I just wonder if feeling empowered will increase turnout of people of those beliefs. I mean really, elections almost always end up being about turnout and who can motivate people to vote.

15+ Year Old Account
    He is running in Louisiana. His views might not be in the minority there, no pun intended.
    Most people here aren't openly racist, and would not vote for him to 'prove' that they are not.

I would like to remind some of you Louisiana has a jungle primary, which means they face everyone vs everyone. The top two people(if one person does not get 50%) face off in another vote. It could be two Democrats or Republicans.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Quote Originally Posted by Lenonis View Post
    That's probably true. It's just a bit disturbing to see it so openly displayed. I just wonder if feeling empowered will increase turnout of people of those beliefs. I mean really, elections almost always end up being about turnout and who can motivate people to vote.
    I would suspect your KKK types are regular voters, as they tent to militia types, and those vote at nearly 100%. That said, it's Louisiana. There probably isn't even a Democrat on the entire ballot in most parishes.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    Most people here aren't openly racist, and would not vote for him to 'prove' that they are not.

I would like to remind some of you Louisiana has a jungle primary, which means they face everyone vs everyone. The top two people(if one person does not get 50%) face off in another vote. It could be two Democrats or Republicans.
    I love that primary! I didn't even know this was a thing. Imagine what this could do for the non-swing states! This would go a long way to stopping the problems created by the lack of term limits in congress. If you are a Republican from Georgia, or a Democrat from New York, you are set for life so long as you don't piss off the party. I hate that.

Also, I didn't mean to offend your state. But, even though racism may be overblown, it's fair to say you guys have more of it than most.

I would suspect your KKK types are regular voters, as they tent to militia types, and those vote at nearly 100%. That said, it's Louisiana. There probably isn't even a Democrat on the entire ballot in most parishes.
    To be fair, their current governor is a Democrat (John Bel Edwards). Ok, he's a total DINO but he ran a completely hilarious campaign.

15+ Year Old Account
    I love that primary! I didn't even know this was a thing. Imagine what this could do for the non-swing states! This would go a long way to stopping the problems created by the lack of term limits in congress. If you are a Republican from Georgia, or a Democrat from New York, you are set for life so long as you don't piss off the party. I hate that.

Also, I didn't mean to offend your state. But, even though racism may be overblown, it's fair to say you guys have more of it than most.
    Well I might agree we might have more racist, but most of them are closet/don't know they are racist. But I don't think they would openly vote for one who clearly self-identifies himself as one, because they don't think they are racist.

Though if any year could prove me wrong it would be this one. I mean we have Trump as the Republican nominee.... Brexit happened.... If he could win any year, this one seems the most wild. What the fuck do I know, this year is crazy.

He have been in both parties he was with the dems in the 90s
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    In other countries like Canada the population has chosen to believe in hope, peace and tolerance. This we can see from the election of the Honourable Justin Trudeau who stood against the politics of hate and divisiveness.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    To be fair, their current governor is a Democrat (John Bel Edwards). Ok, he's a total DINO but he ran a completely hilarious campaign.
    I thought all Democrats were DINOs. What I mean is, being a standard Democrat with historically Democrat views is what they all pretend to be today, to get elected. When in reality, the elected officials of the party have moved so far left, they can't really even say most of what they really want to do, because it would be unpopular with voters. And, I don't mean conspiracy or any of that, just an attitude of "I know what we really need but the ignorant voters just don't understand". This is very much how the Republicans were before they had the tea party uprising. Maybe the Bernie Bros will start a similar uprising with Democrats but, I fear it would mean more of a moving the core than returning to core, if that makes sense.

When in reality, the elected officials of the party have moved so far left, they can't really even say most of what they really want to do, because it would be unpopular with voters.
    The elected officials of the Democratic party are centre-right. Bel Edwards would be more right than centre. During the Reagan years he might've even been Republican (kinda like Obama). He only appears left wing if you compare him to the Republicans. By way of comparison, Bernie Sanders was an Independent because he was too left-wing for mainstream Democrats. He only ran for the Democratic party presidential nominee because he didn't want to be a 3rd party candidate.

Historical Democrats were more fiscally liberal but could be either socially conservative or socially liberal. Nowadays they're in the back pocket of corporate America but tend towards social liberalism.