Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    Deleted

Schoolboys banned from wearing shorts on hottest day use loophole, wear skirts

Schoolboys, 14, who were banned from wearing shorts to school on the hottest day of the year used a uniform loophole to wear SKIRTS instead

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...S-instead.html

• The teenage boys wore school-branded PE shorts as temperatures hit 32C
    • But the school in Brighton, East Sussex, said it wasn't part of uniform code
    • In protest, the boys arrived the following day wearing pleated navy skirts
    • They were allowed to wear skirts as they are part of agreed school uniform

A group of teenage boys went to school wearing skirts in protest at a uniform policy forbidding them from wearing shorts during the summer.

The year 9 pupils chose to wear a skirt after they were punished for wearing shorts on the hottest day of the year so far.

As a result Michael Parker, Kodi Ayling, George Boyland and Jesse Stringer, all 14, chose cooler clothing which is part of the official uniform - a pleated navy skirt.

Despite not being allowed to wear the school's branded shorts, the boys were allowed to wear skirts which are part of the agreed school uniform.

The students at Longhill High School in Brighton, East Sussex, donned the skirts in protest of the school's decision to punish boys who wore school-issued PE shorts rather than trousers on Tuesday.

Pupil Michael Parker said: 'It's not fair for boys to be roasting in black trousers on the hottest day of the year while the girls can wear skirts.'

His mother Angela, added: 'We're fully in support of the boys.

'I think what the headmistress is doing is discrimination and I'm extremely proud of Michael and his fellow protesters.'

Wesley Allen, whose son Kodi was part of the protesting group, said the school's decision to punish the boys for wearing shorts was 'madness'.

He added: 'The shorts he had on have the school logo on them and I think should be allowed to wear them on hot days.

'The school say they have to wear school uniform and the shorts are.

'I think it's madness. The boys have done this to prove a point and I think it's brilliant. I don't think Kodi will wear the skirt all summer but I do think he likes the attention.'

On Tuesday - the hottest day of the year - around 20 boys wore Longhill-branded gym shorts and were all punished by the secondary school as they were not wearing 'regulation uniform'.

Some of the students were sent home and others were kept in isolation and excluded the following day.

Headteacher Kate Williams said: 'Students have access to water in order to keep themselves hydrated.

'We have made reasonable steps to ensure that classrooms are as comfortable as possible.

'I have high standards regarding uniform and in the warm weather, these high standards have been challenged by approximately two per cent of parents and students.'

In a statement, Miss Williams added: 'Four male students at Longhill High School chose to wear a skirt to school. Students can choose to wear any part of the agreed school uniform.'

10+ Year Old Account
    While amusing, all this over 32C? That's a cool day around here.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Fuck yeah skirts are so airy.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

They can should call them kilts.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can understand bans on clothes that are too revealing but why ban shorts but allow skirts? Stupid and arbitrary rules are stupid and arbitrary.

Also, school uniforms are retarded. Thank the gods the schools I have been in didn't have such rules. I wonder if there are schools in here with school uniform rules. Never seen anyone with any kind of school uniforms in here, or heard of school with such rules.
    Last edited by Santti; 2016-07-22 at 05:06 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Trannies in Brighton! Unprecedented.

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    While amusing, all this over 32C? That's a cool day around here.
    90 isn't a cool day anywhere, even in places where it isn't unusual. Though it's a bit worse where I am now because humidity makes that fatal temperatures.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeones View Post
    90 isn't a cool day anywhere, even in places where it isn't unusual. Though it's a bit worse where I am now because humidity makes that fatal temperatures.
    It's cool relative to typical summer temps. It's been 38C+ here for the last several weeks, with heat indexes pushing 50C.

Heh, fun solution. The etiquette on a lot of men's clothing for formal places could stand with being relaxed a bit overall; our air con broke during this heat wave, was more than unpleasant in shirt, tie and black trousers!
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

That's pretty common at private schools...some of them are quite strict. We should bring kilts back, personally I think they can look quite fashionable

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryme View Post
    Heh, fun solution. The etiquette on a lot of men's clothing for formal places could stand with being relaxed a bit overall; our air con broke during this heat wave, was more than unpleasant in shirt, tie and black trousers!
    Yeah I'm always a bit jealous on hot summer days when I'm wearing full business slacks and button down shirt, and I see women coming into the office in a sleeveless dress and open shoes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    That's pretty common at private schools...some of them are quite strict. We should bring kilts back, personally I think they can look quite fashionable
    From the name I doubt this is a private school, school uniforms are pretty common throughout Britain.

In mine we had to wear a blazer and tie (with the top button of the shirt done up) at all times during the schoolday unless we had explicit authority to remove them and they rarely gave authority.

Quote Originally Posted by tollshot View Post
    It's sad to see a traditionalist approach to school dress policy banning boys from wearing shorts in hot weather, but it's good to see these kids being flexible with there gender identity in order to highlight the absurdity of traditionalism.
    Is it really a gender identity issue, they look like kilts.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    From the name I doubt this is a private school, school uniforms are pretty common throughout Britain.

In mine we had to wear a blazer and tie (with the top button of the shirt done up) at all times during the schoolday unless we had explicit authority to remove them and they rarely gave authority.
    A blazer la de da

10+ Year Old Account
    Is it really a gender identity issue, they look like kilts.
    Considering who the OP is -- You know damn well this was supposed to be a gender identity thread.

Way to get your kid beatup.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    @Xarim

So ... Scots.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

What a bunch of nancies.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

Deleted
    Wait... They have a dress code, but it is still allows boys to wear skirts? Yeah that is just weird.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Seiko Sora View Post
    A blazer la de da
    It was a grammar school and a traditional one at that - Latin was compulsory and we did not even have a school football team, it was rugby in winter and cricket in summer.

Do they have school uniforms in Yorkshire? Do they have schools in Yorkshire? Whippet training down t' pit?