decorative fountains

Are decorative fountains a waste of valuable fresh water? It seems like we could be using that water elsewhere while part of the world is in a drought.

Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

no

/fillingupspace

It really depends on where you are. If you're in a drought, or near drought area, where water is limited, then yes, decorative fountains are an issue. If you're somewhere like where I live, next to the biggest source of fresh water on the planet, then no.

Don't most decorative fountains reuse the same water?

Secondly, a decorative fountain in Ohio will have no bearing on the drought happening in California

Science, I know. It's amazing!

Thirdly, you want to help reduce the drought in California, stop consuming almonds. Read up on who is profiting off the almond industry in California and the problems this industry is having to California's water supply.

15+ Year Old Account
    Who says it is fresh water?
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Quote Originally Posted by Super Friendly Kitty Cat View Post
    Don't most decorative fountains reuse the same water?

Secondly, a decorative fountain in Ohio will have no bearing on the drought happening in California

Science, I know. It's amazing!

Thirdly, you want to help reduce the drought in California, stop consuming almonds. Read up on who is profiting off the almond industry in California and the problems this industry is having to California's water supply.
    If only we had a method to transport things from one state to another.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Generally they're not.
    For starters, they're a closed cycle. They're periodically drained for cleaning purposes, though (but that can be fed to local vegetation anyway).
    They add to local humidity through constant evaporation, which is an important aspect of thermal sensation. Though exploitation of this feature is inconsistent: consult your local urban planing service to figure if their have strategic fountain placement projects.

As for transporting water to drought areas... that's ridiculously expensive. Note that droughts don't need to affect the population one bit: most of the water resources are put into agriculture or wildlife conservation. If the population is experiencing shortages, they can, and should, blame the agriculture macro-companies (big veggie), and perhaps unsustainable production of food for livestock: they should be the ones adjusting their production, actually paying the cost of transporting water from elsewhere, or investing in local production through means like desalinization.
    Cutting on urban amenities that actually have a purpose (unlike lawns), is effectively subsidizing the increasingly irrelevant farming sector.
    Last edited by nextormento; 2016-07-22 at 05:17 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Rain fills it up, too.

My parents' fountain thingy has never been refilled.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    /facepalm

So much /facepalm.

Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    If only you had a basic grasp of economics.

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    I mean, yes, the US essentially wastes a ton of resources that other parts of the world could use, but decorative fountains are not really the first place to start if you want to change that.
    Can't other parts of the world cultivate their own resources?

America isn't even the most resource laden country in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    I mean, yes, the US essentially wastes a ton of resources that other parts of the world could use, but decorative fountains are not really the first place to start if you want to change that.
    Lawns are the true motherf*****.

Quote Originally Posted by Shon237 View Post
    Lawns are the true motherf*****.
    Basically this. If you want to save water, ban grass.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnusthegreat View Post
    Basically this. If you want to save water, ban grass.
    I think the story goes that the aristocracy of course used to have these lavish lawns and gardens. When immigrants from the U.S. were able to acquire land and homes. They wanted lawns as a sign of wealth. One of reasons why we have homes with lawns.

Why lawns are Bullshit (Penn and Teller)

https://www.reddit.com/r/videos/comm...nn_and_teller/

Went to Vegas last year. Some pretty awesome pebble/cobble/tile/concrete lawns out there.

Some parts of the American Southwest, fountains like that are illegal because of water conservation.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    It uses the same water over and over again, no? I'm sure it needs to be filled up more as time passes, but not enough to warrant it as a concern.
    Well it may be an outlier but I think the massive fountain in Pheonix has half of the water evaporate before it even hits the ground again

Now, I cannot think of a more inappropriate place to have a such a huge fountain lol.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.