Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Poor performance GTX1080

Hello, ive had pretty poor performance on live compared to beta with my setup.

6700k @ 4,4ghz
    Msi gtx 1080
    16gb ram

On beta I had 100ish fps when everything was maxed out. But on live i have a hard time sustaining 80fps outside of raids. And this is with view distance on 8 and shadows set down a notch to ultra.

I have the newest drivers. And turning off addons doesnt make any difference.

Gpu load is at max maybe 70% and cpu load like 30%

Has anyone with a similar setup experienced this?

Do you use Vsync or a frame limiter?
    GPU load should always be at 100% if not.

I have an 1070 with the exact same Processor OC at stable 4,4Ghz.

GPU load goes up to ~60% while CPU is at up to a max of 50% (Avg. 32)..
    FPS average is at 115, dipping sometimes into the 95's in Warspear.

Settings are on High to Max.
    Last edited by Nokami; 2016-07-23 at 10:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by coprax View Post
    Do you use Vsync or a frame limiter?
    GPU load should always be at 100% if not.
    I limit my fps at 144hz cause I don't need it to go bananas while in shrine, but that's it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nokami View Post
    I have an 1070 with the exact same Processor OC at stable 4,4Ghz.

GPU load goes up to ~60% while CPU is at up to a max of 50% (Avg. 32)..
    FPS average is at 115, dipping sometimes into the 95's in Warspear.

Settings are on High to Max.
    Seems like you are almost in the same boat as me then, although with better performance.

6700k @ 4,4ghz
    GTX 1070

Settings at 10. Render scale 180%

60-80 fps in crowded areas - up to 400 fps in closed areas

I may have been lucky with my rig though

EDIT. I have yet to test raiding in the Pre-patch
    Last edited by ReVnX; 2016-07-23 at 11:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ReVnX View Post
    6700k @ 4,4ghz
    GTX 1070

Settings at 10. Render scale 180%

60-80 fps in crowded areas - up to 400 fps in closed areas

I may have been lucky with my rig though

EDIT. I have yet to test raiding in the Pre-patch
    What is your FPS like in your garrison?

Quote Originally Posted by Dracoin View Post
    What is your FPS like in your garrison?
    The garrison is actually pretty demanding. About 65-70 fps

A GTX1080 is just too much for WoW unless you play at really high resolutions and framerates. You have a CPU bottleneck problem which is very common in WoW. If you can, try and push your CPU clock even higher.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Noctifer616 View Post
    A GTX1080 is just too much for WoW unless you play at really high resolutions and framerates. You have a CPU bottleneck problem which is very common in WoW. If you can, try and push your CPU clock even higher.
    Having 1080sli and i7 5960x I notice the same problems, certain areas are not properly coded and they bottleneck your system regardless of your specifications. I spoke with Nvidia about it and they are aware of the problems in certain games and are working with the game developers to get it fixed asap. The driver update from a few days ago fixed it a bit, but it's still too noticeable.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakushisai View Post
    Having 1080sli and i7 5960x I notice the same problems, certain areas are not properly coded and they bottleneck your system regardless of your specifications. I spoke with Nvidia about it and they are aware of the problems in certain games and are working with the game developers to get it fixed asap. The driver update from a few days ago fixed it a bit, but it's still too noticeable.
    Damn, good to know. I'm using i7 5960x myself atm (wish I looked more beforehand and got the 6700k) and I have my x2 ASUS 1080s on the way.

Strange. I have MSI GTX 960, graphics in WoW set to 10 and have stable +90 FPS without Verical Sync. And my card has like 30% of GTX 1080's power.
    Maybe 1070 and 1080 need more fixes for their drivers.
    Or maybe this is how it should be, that you get 90 to 120 fps in WoW even on 1080 because WoW can't use more power.
    Last edited by Slaughty8; 2016-07-23 at 11:35 PM.

I play on a 3440x1440 100hz monitor, and my setup generally stays capped at 100 FPS with all details and settings maxed at 10. Of course, in heavily populated areas framerates can dip, but with G-sync, I really don't even notice.

I run dual GTX1080s and an i7-6950x, all on water and overclocked.

Quote Originally Posted by Fr0zen View Post
    I run dual GTX1080s and an i7-6950x, all on water and overclocked.
    You have $1600 in GPUs and a $1700 CPU. You better be getting 100 FPS.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakushisai View Post
    It will be my very wild guess, but the SLI can also cause fps problems with wow, try to disable the second 1080 while playing wow.

Quote Originally Posted by Assumi View Post
    You have $1600 in GPUs and a $1700 CPU. You better be getting 100 FPS.
    If the CPU isn't clocked high enough he won't get 60FPS in raids with the system. Single core performance is key for WoW.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Slaughty8 View Post
    Strange. I have MSI GTX 960, graphics in WoW set to 10 and have stable +90 FPS without Verical Sync. And my card has like 30% of GTX 1080's power.
    Maybe 1070 and 1080 need more fixes for their drivers.
    Or maybe this is how it should be, that you get 90 to 120 fps in WoW even on 1080 because WoW can't use more power.
    WoW is not very GPU demanding, you can run the game just fine on weak GPU's, the problem is that it doesn't scale well with a lot of cores and requires a ton of single core performance. Is a 960 enough to run the game at 1080p almost maxed out? Sure, but the game can be a lot more demanding, especially in 25 Heroic or Mythic raids where CPU performance matters a lot. While you might get 90+ FPS in the world, you won't have the same experience in demanding raids and battlegrounds.

I am in the same boat but have been having really poor performance in garrison and cities.

i7-4790k
    1070 MSI
    16GB Ram

In Garrison I usually float around 50-70 FPS. In the cities it depends on how crowded Area 52 is but I have seen it go down to 30 FPS but it usually floats around 50-80. The really strange thing is my FPS never goes above the 90 even out in the OW with nothing around. For some reason WoW will only let me set my refresh rate to 59HZ. The settings I am using as well are only the reccomended settings. Enviorment is all set at 7. Vysnc off. No AA enabled majority of the effects set on High. Liquid on Good, Particle Density on Good with SSAO on Ultra.... I just dont know how or why my system is getting such shit performance when I see people saying they are getting a solid 90+ FPS everywhere with older cards and setups.

Hey mate,

Also running a GTX 1080, with an i7 6700k, main difference being 32gb DDR4 RAM. Also using SSDs in RAID0 - which really only just affects load times (you'll need at least 2x SSDs for a RAID array but definitely worthwhile to load maps faster (don't believe it will affect your FPS).

...Just finished overclocking both the CPU & GPU with a 12 hour stress test to confirm stability on the CPU - noticed ~20fps gain from doing the GPU alone inside WoW 7.0.3, with my results coming from standing in the same spot in my garrison and monitoring for an average fps.

The 6700k is running smoothly at a conservative 4.6GHz with a 1.35vcore (haven't touched multipliers, RAM or FCLK yet...) and the GTX 1080 at +150MHz core clock, +400MHz memory.

AFAIK the 1080's do thermal throttle quite bad at around 83 degrees; especially in Windows 10 - in Linux (which does not run 7.0.3 yet, unfortunately) it ran ~30 degrees cooler, using OpenGL, which is to be expected but we didn't have this problem. My guess is this is why your experiencing low loads/clock speeds, so you will have to up your max temp target also - I left my fan speed at auto, and still haven't seen it jump any higher than 85 degrees under full load.

For reference, I'm running WoW in 1080p (super keen to upgrade to 1440p in the near future) with everything maxed at 10/10, 200% render scale, and only the standard nvidia/windows tweaks & the lowest i've seen, FPS-wise, is 60 during Mannoroth. Mine's an EVGA branded card & used their software to OC it. Your manufacturer should have their own software also.

If you'd like a link to the guides (there's heaps available if you search) I use, feel free to chuck me a PM - I can't share links through posts yet, sorry.

Check out the HWinfo software & run sensors to monitor everything.

Don't forget to untick 'max foreground fps' in WoW > Advanced system options if you're alt-tabbing to see real-time updates of GPU tweaks.

Aside from this, we can only hope that future updates of the game/drivers bring increase performance, but do let me know if you come across anything else!

Hope this helps

Yeah running around in Ogri right now and my GPU load is only at 25% lol with GPU power sitting at 18% lol. This is on my 1070.

Deleted
    I think it's unacceptable to be expected from us to have our CPUs clocked at like 5ghz to run this game smoothly.

I mean I just built a system for a friend and we decided to save some money and go for i5-6600, which goes up to 3.9ghz with it's turbo boost and we paired that with 16gigs ddr4 and a gigabyte g1 gaming 1070. I'm very disappointed in the way this game behaves. In fact with the view distance/ground detail/clutter set to 10 and render scale at 100%, the game struggles to hold 60 fps in Garrison at 1080p and dips down to 30-40 fps in the Kazzak raid we tested, which is not even a demanding location.

This to me is just ridiculous! Blizzard cannot expect from us to overclock our CPUs. In fact most people play at stock CPUs. WoW is one of the only games, that run this poorly. Heck The Witcher 3 maxed out runs smooth as butter on this pc, but WoW doesn't.

Needless to say my friend who isn't very savvy with tech was very disappointed, that he had to lower the settings down to 7 to get stable fps.

What's crazy is that the slider that affects performance the most is the Ground Detail one and what it does is it will add another fence or lamp here and there, nothing truly impactful yet it hurts fps more than AA does.

It's just so untypical for a Blizzard game. Usually they have the most technically polished games, but Legion is a big steamy mess.

If anyone's using NVIDIA's GeForce experience to 'optimize' performance in patch 7.0.3, you're not optimizing anything..

It will set your in-game AA option to 'custom' which hits fps for between 10 & 20. Switching to max AA in-game is far better and I just boosted my fps by another 15.