Page 10 of 31 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    But not to the extent of outright banning them for private citizens use. Sure some have tried and in the wild west, some towns even banned them within city limits. But that was not challenged in the courts that I am aware of. The local governments do have the right to regulate private firearm ownership however. But not outright ban them.
    There hasnt really been a movement that gained any real traction for an outright ban.

I am registered as an Independent because the Republicans are too bat shit insane for my liking and the Democrats can't manage our money worth a damn.

Johnson / Weld 2016!

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Thankfully not American, so i'm not stuck between 2 shitty parties.

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    Funny, considering the US as a country was formed based on progressive ideas of freedom from religious domination and kings/queens. If people at the time thought like you, they would have concluded that America's best interest would be to remain a domain of the empire. Luckily, they were "evil progressives"!
    There's this fun SF series from Baen (a publisher usually noted for its right wing bent) about a West Virginia town that was transported to Thuringia (in what is now Germany) in the year 1632, in the middle of the 30 Years War.

The amusing thing about this series is how the conservative, traditional people of this town are now flaming liberal progressives by the standards of that era.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    Funny, considering the US as a country was formed based on progressive ideas of freedom from religious domination and kings/queens. If people at the time thought like you, they would have concluded that America's best interest would be to remain a domain of the empire. Luckily, they were "evil progressives"!
    Their "progressives" were essentially Republican Left-Wing Classical Liberals (that's a mouthful in today's terms). The right still shares a lot of the anti-big government rhetoric from those "classic" progressives. Although naturally a more conservative-minded group will attract social conservatives.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    There hasnt really been a movement that gained any real traction for an outright ban.
    For good reasons.

I vote democrats because I'm scared of what a GOP president would do after seeing Republicans at the state level do.

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    Im refferring to Buck in general.

The person you quote was replying to Buck essentially saying that people who disagree with him dont have America at heart and hate America.
    The reason he says this and the reason he is right is because the left is against everything that made America the way it was. All the current policies of the left want to destroy the traditional America. Traditional societies are what last and progress civilization. They are what work. The ideas of the left, while they sound great, don't work in reality and will cause your civilization to collapse or be invaded. They see traditional America as evil. I am sorry but these ideas of cultural Marxism that has infected the left are beyond wrong and quiet dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by Jademist View Post
    The reason he says this and the reason he is right is because the left is against everything that made America the way it was.
    Some of the things that made America the way it was were vile and horrible. Slavery, native american genocide, suppression of women...
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eviscero View Post
    I've found that people who say this usually haven't created anything worth a shit, and tend to bring down those around them.
    Is it just me, or is this post terribly ironic?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckSparkles View Post
    Looks more like a lost of a real rebuttal, so a resort to insulting. Common here.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckSparkles View Post
    It's not just you. I am, of course, horribly biased on the matter, but my experience is that people that express the sentiments you have tend to be more productive, upstanding members of society than people that disagree with the positions you laid out in that post.

Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Some of the things that made America the way it was were vile and horrible. Slavery, native american genocide, suppression of women...
    White people ended slavery; they didn't start it. Blacks were used as slaves more by other blacks and arabs than by whites and whites have been slaves by every other race as well. Please learn your history. There was no native american genocide. There are more native american people today than there were back then and the diseases that killed so many were not purposely spread by europeans and there is some evidence that suggests that the diseases came over from aquatic mammals before the europeans even came over. Please stop with this oppression of women nonsense. Women have never been oppressed in the western world.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    It's not just you. I am, of course, horribly biased on the matter, but my experience is that people that express the sentiments you have tend to be more productive, upstanding members of society than people that disagree with the positions you laid out in that post.
    I agree. But that can be done constructively without insults.

Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    I don't think there are many moderns that are enthusiastic about bringing back slavery or genocide. These aren't the things modern progressives in the United States are campaigning for/against. Instead, we find progressives that are appalled that anyone would think single mothers are anything other than brave heroes of exceptional moral virtue (to provide one example of a destructive progressive cultural preference). I do not think an endless obsession with "progress" rather than shooting for specific, achievable societal structures is a good plan.

I'm just a conservative.

10+ Year Old Account
    White people ended slavery; they didn't start it. Blacks were used as slaves more by other blacks and arabs than by whites and whites have been slaves by every other race as well. Please learn your history. There was no native american genocide. There are more native american people today than there were back then and the diseases that killed so many were not purposely spread by europeans and there is some evidence that suggests that the diseases came over from aquatic mammals before the europeans even came over. Please stop with this oppression of women nonsense. Women have never been oppressed in the western world.
    I disagree. If you read about Grant's plan to bring the plains Indians into submission, it was certainly genocide to the point of starving them into submission by exterminating their main source of food. The Bison. And we would not allow women to vote in the US for over a hundreds years. I would call that oppressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I don't think there are many moderns that are enthusiastic about bringing back slavery or genocide. These aren't the things modern progressives in the United States are campaigning for/against. Instead, we find progressives that are appalled that anyone would think single mothers are anything other than brave heroes of exceptional moral virtue (to provide one example of a destructive progressive cultural preference). I do not think an endless obsession with "progress" rather than shooting for specific, achievable societal structures is a good plan.
    These types of social changes was what I was referring to. Single motherhood is a perfect example. The left says how great it is but every unbiased study shows how destructive it is to society.

These types of social changes was what I was referring to. Single motherhood is a perfect example. The left says how great it is but every unbiased study shows how destructive it is to society.
    Yeah the nuclear family is pretty much over. I wouldn't blame the left so much as I would feminism in the modern era. In the 1960's though I would blame the democrats for crippling blacks. Like in 1963 when people got welfare they sent someone out to check the house to make sure there wasn't a man in the house.
    Last edited by Barnabas; 2016-07-24 at 04:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    And we would not allow women to vote in the US for over a hundreds years. I would call that oppressed.
    This is an interesting philosophical question. It's not obvious to me that voting is so important that it should be considered a high candidate for the term "oppressed"; I think it stands as a symbol of how a group of people is treated and valued more than as that important of a right in and of itself. When I think of oppression, I think more about real suffering for a group.