Deleted

Intelligence is dominated by genetics - long-term adoption studies results

Interesting short video containing testimony from Professor Robert Plomin of King's College London, Professor of Behavioural Genetics and expert in Twin and Adoption studies:

One of the key papers that resulted from the research: http://www.jstor.org/stable/40063231

Abstract
    Children increasingly resemble their parents in cognitive abilities from infancy through adolescence. Results obtained from a 20-year longitudinal adoption study of 245 adopted children and their biological and adoptive parents, as well as 245 matched nonadoptive (control) parents and offspring, show that this increasing resemblance is due to genetic factors. Adopted children resemble their adoptive parents slightly in early childhood but not at all in middle childhood or adolescence. In contrast, during childhood and adolescence, adopted children become more like their biological parents, and to the same degree as children and parents in control families. Although these results were strongest for general cognitive ability and verbal ability, similar results were found for other specific cognitive abilities--spatial ability, speed of processing, and recognition memory. These findings indicate that, within this population, genes that stably affect cognitive abilities in adulthood do not all come into play until adolescence and that environmental factors that contribute to cognitive development are not correlated with parents' cognitive ability.

Of course intelligence is genetic. Intelligence is a measure of how the brain functions.

This isn't something new, it's been known for a long time. People can continue denying the genetic influence in regards to a lot of things but that doesn't make it not genetic.

You should have linked one of his later papers:
    https://kclpure.kcl.ac.uk/portal/en/...28cad7b8).html
    "The heritability of intelligence increases from about 20% in infancy to perhaps 80% in later adulthood"

This compares to about 60-80% heritability of length.
    (Obviously it depends on both nurture - and the genetic variations in the population.)
    Last edited by Forogil; 2016-07-24 at 08:00 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am not too surprised.

Greater intelligence is also related to increased incidence of mental disorders. Not all that sweet.

10+ Year Old Account
    While this is pretty obvious that this is the case, I wonder how they define "intelligence" and what scale they use to determine it. So far I haven't seen a decent scale used in any studies, hence I always view them with suspicion.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ripster42 View Post
    Greater intelligence is also related to increased incidence of mental disorders. Not all that sweet.
    And the lack of intelligence is related to a host of bad things as well. Lower income being one of them.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by nanook12 View Post
    And the lack of intelligence is related to a host of bad things as well. Lower income being one of them.
    Last I checked, you had two people running for the White House and neither of them would rank very high on my "Scale of intelligent people".

And both of them seem to be raking it home.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Miuku View Post
    Last I checked, you had two people running for the White House and neither of them would rank very high on my "Scale of intelligent people".

Lol "your scale" that's the problem.

"I think the man on the street is a lot wiser about these things. I think the problem is Academics. You know, the people in their ivory towers who don't have children especially. They're the ones who have these preposterous theories that everything is environmental."

Shots fired at the "Women and Gender Studies" departments across the West with that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Fascists should be marginalized, ostracized, bullied and on the occasion, decked. Their ideology is a cancer in our species.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Bigots don't deserve debate.
    War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Diversity is strength.

10+ Year Old Account

Trump is an outlier though. Most stupid people, indeed, don't get very far in life - unless they have some specific talents, such as showmanship.
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.

Quote Originally Posted by Euuk123 View Post
    Life is not born equal.

And neither is man.

Darwin is correct, and all you idiots that think otherwise will be filtered out eventually.
    How long is eventually? Because we still care for people who are born with the need to be taken care of for their entire lives (severe downs syndrome and extreme cases of autism for example).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Euuk123 View Post
    Life is not born equal.

And neither is man.

Darwin is correct, and all you idiots that think otherwise will be filtered out eventually.
    Well, Darwin's theory surely didn't filter out people who spend their free time posting provocative things from fresh accounts.

Pretty sure the issue here is your scale, not them.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ripster42 View Post
    The human evolution is still in progress (and always will be). Such trade-offs -- efficiency at the cost of durability -- aren't all that surprising.

It could also be that intelligent people experience more frustration, stress and eventually depression when surrounded by people who are intellectually several levels below them. Two people with a 50-point IQ difference can't even communicate properly.
    Last edited by mmocf7a456daa4; 2016-07-24 at 11:04 PM.

must show this to a middle class social justice warrior who has been pampered by their parents since childhood.

Deleted
    Good thing liberals don't breed huh?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by squeeze View Post
    Interesting short video containing testimony from Professor Robert Plomin of King's College London, Professor of Behavioural Genetics and expert in Twin and Adoption studies:

One of the key papers that resulted from the research: http://www.jstor.org/stable/40063231

Abstract
    Yet, if you cannot nurture good development, nothing good will happen.