Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Fishing for lunkers (Schools?)

Hey! I'm in Tanaan at the moment serverhopping for schools, but does the droprate increase from schools or does it matter? I've heard mixed things about it, anyone know? Cheers!

I thought serverhopping was disabled with the 7.0 patch?

Lunker droprate doesn't change between pool fishing and open water fishing. Only way to get more lunkers is have higher fishing skill.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticGamer View Post
    I thought serverhopping was disabled with the 7.0 patch?
    It wasn't disabled, but it's on blizzard's radar (they acknowledged this is a problem). But since resource nodes are personal now (you can loot an herb and someone else can loot the same herb), don't see the point about complaining about serverhopping.

Quote Originally Posted by Ssateneth View Post
    It wasn't disabled, but it's on blizzard's radar (they acknowledged this is a problem). But since resource nodes are personal now (you can loot an herb and someone else can loot the same herb), don't see the point about complaining about serverhopping.
    I thought that you had to be in the same zone as the leader of the group/raid?

Or something like that.

Or something like that.

That's probably the most simplest fix for realm hoppers.

Or something like that.
    http://wow.curseforge.com/addons/ser...alm-in-legion/
    sorry for not quoting it, it's a very long explanation

the tldr is it can still work in tanaan, because it's an active zone and chances are high that someone in the group you joined is already there

The Lightbringer
    7+ Year Old Account
    Lunker droprate doesn't change between pool fishing and open water fishing. Only way to get more lunkers is have higher fishing skill
    This top rated wowhead comment disagrees with you:

http://www.wowhead.com/item=117397/n...-coin#comments

Or something like that.
    You need to be in the same zone as at least 1 group member. So Tanaan hopping through Kazzak groups = yes. Zandalari Warbringers = nope.

What are you after? Nat reputation or coins?

Because if you want coins, you can join a 40 man fishing raid (there are lots of premades) They have changed the loot system and you can loot all Cavedwellers with Personal loot.

You can get 100 coins in about 3 hours

EDIT: Also, chance to get both turtle mounts
    Last edited by ReVnX; 2016-07-26 at 11:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ReVnX View Post

Because if you want coins, you can join a 40 man fishing raid (there are lots of premades) They have changed the loot system and you can loot all Cavedwellers with Personal loot.

I'm hoping they don't hotfix that away. I spent time last night (about 2-3 hours), and got about 80 coins, both of the (inferior to my Kahu'ak) fishing poles, two noble's monocles, a beer stein, a wedding ring, the strand crawler pet, three of the compass toys, and so many worms that I had to mail them off to alts. Plus about 600 of those spirits.

I'm hoping they don't hotfix that away. I spent time last night (about 2-3 hours), and got about 80 coins, both of the (inferior to my Kahu'ak) fishing poles, two noble's monocles, a beer stein, a wedding ring, the strand crawler pet, three of the compass toys, and so many worms that I had to mail them off to alts. Plus about 600 of those spirits.
    Don't forget enough fish to make 125 food for 3 expansions..

Don't forget enough fish to make 125 food for 3 expansions..
    I just vendored all of it. At over 600 worms, I'm close to vendoring those, too. I already vendor off Draenic rejuvenation potions, mana potions, and am close to vendoring healing potions...

I was trying to get lunkers everywhere, until i saw some video of a dude catching 5 in 20 min in nagrand, i flew there, and bam, 2 lunker in 5 min, got more than 100 there, easy!

7+ Year Old Account
    Lunker droprate doesn't change between pool fishing and open water fishing. Only way to get more lunkers is have higher fishing skill.
    ^This.

Find yourself a nice comfortable spot anywhere, pop something entertaining onto whatever streaming service you use, and start casting/catching. Pool or no, makes no difference.

Last week I farmed 100 coins by fishing lunkers, at first I went for pools only and then the rest of the way I mostly just fished at the same spot (throne of elements, nagrand). I'm pretty sure the drop rate is the same, although I had the impression pools were quicker. I'm probably wrong though, there's probably info out there. But staying in 1 spot is definitely less effort. Just go to throne of elements or whatever your spot is, and fish. It takes quite some time, I did like 20 coins a day to stay sane.

As someone who fished for like 8 hours for cavedwellers to get the mount before the patch, this frustrates me lol
    Last edited by aysatsana; 2016-07-26 at 10:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fabinas View Post
    This top rated wowhead comment disagrees with you:

http://www.wowhead.com/item=117397/n...-coin#comments
    That was 1 person testing and his sample rate is so small, he also had 100 more casts in open water which skewer the numbers.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    I had a great run of Lunker fishing last night, up and down the east coast of Spires of Arak on my raft.

I was watching FinalBossTV, and in the duration of his Resto Shaman beta video (~1 hour), I hooked 26 Sea Scorpion Lunkers. I then watched the Holy Paladin video, another ~1 hour, and got a further 23 Lunkers.

I was fishing exclusively from pools, with a total buffed skill of roughly 1050.

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini Soul View Post
    That was 1 person testing and his sample rate is so small, he also had 100 more casts in open water which skewer the numbers.
    From my experience pools have a higher drop rate. It was extremely slow to fish lunkers just standing there, but when I was going around fishing for pools it felt like a much higher drop rate. So yeah, take my anecdotal evidence with a grain of salt, but I think he's right. I definitely think fishing from pools is quicker.

Quote Originally Posted by djar View Post
    As someone who fished for like 8 hours for cavedwellers to get the mount before the patch, this frustrates me lol
    Two more hours, I picked up another beer stein, another wedding ring, some more of the monocles, I've now got around 7 of the toy compasses (after dumping some in the guild bank), about 800 supreme worms, about 1200 spirits... Etc.

And two turtles.

I had enough Pagle coins to buy both pets and halfway to buying the mount.

I'm not sure if I'm going to bother with the hat and fishing pole. Leaving aside the limited-duration hat/poles, my Kahu'lak is already +30 skill (and provides water breathing), my original Pagle hat (MoP) is only +5 (compared to the +10 from the WoD version) but I have gloves enchanted with Angler (+5 skill), and I have closing in on 1000 of the +200 lures (so the lures from the WoD hat and fishing poles are irrelevant).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by djar View Post
    From my experience pools have a higher drop rate. It was extremely slow to fish lunkers just standing there, but when I was going around fishing for pools it felt like a much higher drop rate. So yeah, take my anecdotal evidence with a grain of salt, but I think he's right. I definitely think fishing from pools is quicker.
    How much do you have to factor in the travel time?

If I can only get 3-5 casts per location, and have to travel to the next location, if the drop rate isn't SERIOUSLY higher, I'm tempted to just stick with open water.

Nat Pagle rep :/ im at nearly 90 coins but half way to Good Friend. I dont get how people got best friend after 100 lunkers. Is there a easier way?