Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Explain 7.0 "Pyroblast Fishing" to me like i'm a toddler.

Was trying firemage on beta, reading the icy veins fire guide, specifically the "Pyroblast Fishing" portion, and i'm not quite sure I get it.

So for instance, say I fireball, it gets a crit, I then fireblast during my second fireball cast, now I have Hotstreak active, and my second fireball about to land. As I understand it, i'm supposed to let that second fireball cast finish, and immediately use my hotstreak, so they land at a similar time. The idea being that if they both crit, I immediately get another hotstreak, and continue on as I just did.

I've noticed that sometimes fireball will hit first and crit, giving me heating up, then the pyro will hit and not crit, losing me the heating up.

I guess my question is, is there a specific reason not to just immediately use a hotstreak? what exactly does delaying it for another fireball cast do in the long run, does it all not just even out over time?

Quote Originally Posted by Hinastorm View Post
    Was trying firemage on beta, reading the icy veins fire guide, specifically the "Pyroblast Fishing" portion, and i'm not quite sure I get it.

So for instance, say I fireball, it gets a crit, I then fireblast during my second fireball cast, now I have Hotstreak active, and my second fireball about to land. As I understand it, i'm supposed to let that second fireball cast finish, and immediately use my hotstreak, so they land at a similar time. The idea being that if they both crit, I immediately get another hotstreak, and continue on as I just did.

I've noticed that sometimes fireball will hit first and crit, giving me heating up, then the pyro will hit and not crit, losing me the heating up.

I guess my question is, is there a specific reason not to just immediately use a hotstreak? what exactly does delaying it for another fireball cast do in the long run, does it all not just even out over time?
    This should not happen if done correctly, you've pretty much explained "Pyroblast Fishing" already. Also, do not use the icy-veins guide to fire, use this one instead: http://www.altered-time.com/forum/vi...php?f=4&t=2553

Ew icy veins. Im not sure why they are calling it "pyroblast fishing" when you cant bank heating up anymore like in WoD or MoP. ABC = Always be casting, caster dps 101, you really wouldnt know that your 1st fireball will Heat up after the travel time, but within that travel time you should ALWAYS have a fireball queued.

Im really not sure what you meant by immediately use a hotstreak, that shouldnt happen if you are chain casting and not having idle time between the fireball coming out of you and pressing pyro.
    Last edited by Yizu; 2016-07-26 at 05:59 AM.

What the OP explained is actually what happens and that's how it is intended to work.

Cast Sequence:
    Fireball (Crit)
    Fireball + Fire Blast
    Pyro

Fireball hits first - Crits
    Heating Up
    Pyro Hits - Doesn't Crit
    Lose Heating up

That's intended dude, you have to crit twice simultaneously to get a hot streak. So if you don't crit with fireball+Pyro you're back to square one.

If you did land 2 crits you'd still cast your next fireball and pyro afterward...then if those both crit you're chaining Fireball+Pyro+Fireball+Pyro and so on...That's how the spec works.

You don't "fish for pyro" you fish for heating up, trigger pyro and try to chain.

As Capsloch mentioned, you fish for HU, not Pyros. Icy-Veins is laughable.. stick to altered-time please.

Quote Originally Posted by GwiGwi View Post
    This should not happen if done correctly, you've pretty much explained "Pyroblast Fishing" already. Also, do not use the icy-veins guide to fire, use this one instead: http://www.altered-time.com/forum/vi...php?f=4&t=2553
    100000000000x this. Can we sticky that?

Quote Originally Posted by Pix757 View Post
    Not true. If you cast the pyroblast immediately as the fireball cast finishes, if 1 crits you will KEEP heating up, if both crit you will go straight to hot streak. The only time this should happen is if you're slow and hit pyroblast late.
    So you mean if you are fast, pyro will always hit before the fireball and you will never lose the heating up? That doesn't make sense. If the pyro first crits and then the fireball hits, you still lose the heating up.

If the last one crits, you keep the heating up. Not if 1 crits.

Quote Originally Posted by MdAlmighty View Post
    So you mean if you are fast, pyro will always hit before the fireball and you will never lose the heating up? That doesn't make sense. If the pyro first crits and then the fireball hits, you still lose the heating up.

If the last one crits, you keep the heating up. Not if 1 crits.
    Holy shit...guys, please. You're fucking killing me!

There's travel time on both of these casts, they aren't going to hit at the same time, like ever. There are animations before the projectile leaves your character, pyro will always land second.

There is a 200ms window of protection that HU has in legion. You can get FB+PB to land inside this window, and retain HU from FB crit even if the followup PB doesn't. This is the legion version of pyrocamping. I have no idea why he decided to use weird ass terminology like pyroblast fishing.
    Last edited by Frost1129; 2016-07-26 at 09:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frost1129 View Post
    There is a 200ms window of protection that HU has in legion. You can get FB+PB to land inside this window, and retain HU from FB crit even if the followup PB doesn't. This is the legion version of pyrocamping. I have no idea why he decided to use weird ass terminology like pyroblast fishing.
    The fact remains that it changes nothing about your rotation.

You would still cast fireball and pyro at the end and continue to cast fireball afterward....whether your HU stays or go is of no consequence because you're not going to stop casting to wait and see if you get a Hot Streak!

ABC - always be casting

That's the bottom line.

Ty guys, very helpful, and i'll use the linked guide from now on.

Quote Originally Posted by GwiGwi View Post
    Also in this scenario that was in bold, you would still lose heating up since it wouldn't be added to the pyro proc.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Capsloch View Post
    ABC - always be casting

That's the bottom line.
    Not with Scorch during Combustion. It consistently hard casts Pyro if Pyro is queued right before the Scorch hits. It's counter-intuitive because that Scorch may bring a guaranteed proc of Hot Streak! but I guess it's strictly technically the right behavior.

Is that protection still there? I thought it was removed during the PF changes that extended the cd and made it autocrit.

Quote Originally Posted by tobindax View Post
    Not with Scorch during Combustion. It consistently hard casts Pyro if Pyro is queued right before the Scorch hits. It's counter-intuitive because that Scorch may bring a guaranteed proc of Hot Streak! but I guess it's strictly technically the right behavior.
    Just keep moving during combustion.

thanks for clearing this up
    I was kinda just pressing the buttons but it is nice to see it on paper

Quote Originally Posted by Frost1129 View Post
    Just keep moving during combustion.
    Or jump at the end of your cast..

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Capsloch View Post
    Or jump at the end of your cast..
    Or use a /stopcasting macro for PB so you can just spam it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Osanger View Post
    /stopcasting macro for PB
    Did you try your suggestion?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tobindax View Post
    Did you try your suggestion?
    Yep works a treat, but you must be wary of clipping your casts. I use a castbar addon(gnosis) so i can see my latency so i know when i can safely begin hitting pyro without canceling the first cast.

Macro is:

#showtooltip pyroblast
    /stopcasting
    /cast pryoblast