Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Canadian police beats mentally ill immigrant to death

A Somali-Canadian Ottawa man with mental health issues who was taken to hospital in critical condition on Sunday after police tried to arrest him has died from his injuries, his family said Monday.

Abdirahman Abdi, 37, had been on life support at the Ottawa Hospital's Civic Campus since the incident Sunday morning.​

Ontario's police watchdog, the Special Investigations Unit, confirmed Abdi's death. The SIU investigates whenever there is a death, serious injury or allegation of sexual assault involving police in the province. It has assigned five investigators and one forensic investigator to the case.
    Source: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa...ital-1.3694114

Another source: http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/ottawa-...lood-1.3000949

Very sad news, I hope they did not know that the man was ill. Still a shame shit like this goes on in first world nations.

Police brutality moving north perhaps?

Is this something that happens often in Canada? Any canadians willing to comment on it?
    Last edited by Zoibert the Bear; 2016-07-26 at 11:17 AM. Reason: Added another source

Quote Originally Posted by Zoibert the Bear View Post
    Source: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa...ital-1.3694114

Very sad news, I hope they did not know that the man was ill. Still a shame shit like this goes on in first world nations.

Law enforcement need better training on what to do with mentally ill people. It's a rising issue.

Little info on what was going on as normal for these "stories"

I wonder what Tennisball will comment on this.
    They always told me I would miss my family... but I never miss from close range.

10+ Year Old Account
    Holy Fuck Canada even by US standards thats messed up.

Even now there are heroes left in men.

Quote Originally Posted by XangXu View Post
    Law enforcement need better training on what to do with mentally ill people. It's a rising issue.
    They get training on how to deal with people who are violent or who resist arrest and honestly that's enough.

You want police to be healthcare professionals but that's just not practical from any standpoint the least of which being the training.

Plus if you make cops go through a rolodex of special identity procedures before performing their duty and you'll have a bunch of injured or dead cops.

Side note, I'm not familiar with this Canadian news outlet but it reads like the USA's Huff-n-Puke.

The guy was out there sexually assault people and then there was a "confrontation" aka he attacked the cops.

But they played that off and made sure that what you took away was his migration and his race and even managed to get a quote from a relative to invoke dindu status.

Bravo.

[Infracted]
    Last edited by Endus; 2016-07-26 at 01:49 PM.
    MAGA
    When all you do is WIN WIN WIN

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombergy View Post
    They get training on how to deal with people who are violent or who resist arrest and honestly that's enough.

You want police to be healthcare professionals but that's just not practical from any standpoint the least of which being the training.

Plus if you make cops go through a rolodex of special identity procedures before performing their duty and you'll have a bunch of injured or dead cops.

Side note, I'm not familiar with this Canadian news outlet but it reads like the USA's Huff-n-Puke.

The guy was out there sexually assault people and then there was a "confrontation" aka he attacked the cops.

But they played that off and made sure that what you took away was his migration and his race and even managed to get a quote from a relative to invoke dindu status.

Bravo.
    And so, they took the right action and beat him to death, right?

I don't believe anyone thinks he should not be arrested. But it was poorly handled. VERY poorly.

And if they had to beat him so badly just to reduce him, I do not believe their training to be all that good.

Since its Canada i bet they said sorry afterwords anyways.

No way that happened. Everything related to Canada is published here by Tennis and its always good.
    Quote Originally Posted by MeHMeH View Post
    The people you are calling "terrorists" are in fact "freedom-fighters", no amount of stabbings is going to change this.

As if it's some epidemic in the US.

Spoiler alert, it isn't.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    As if it's some epidemic in the US.

Spoiler alert, it isn't.
    My view is most likely skewed. Judging by what news we get in Europe though, it is.

remember what happened when a therapist was involved with someone who was just sitting on a street? The therapist was shot.

My view is most likely skewed. Judging by what news we get in Europe though, it is.
    If you read the details of most of the cases, the people that die are typically either:

1. Assaulting the officer
    2. Going for the officer's gun
    3. Going for their own gun/deadly weapon

There are cases of messed up stuff, but they account for only a fraction of these deaths. The problem is now when the media picks up a story, they immediately push the white cop vs black perp agenda as hard as a possible, regardless of circumstances. They know it's the best way to bait viewers and they take advantage of it.

If it was an actual widespread issue, these cops would be getting convicted left and right, yet whenever they go to trial, unbiased jurors consistently find them innocent.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account

Bravo.
    I disagree on identification and procedure in regards to mentally ill people. The overwhelming majority of people killed by cops (54%) are mentally ill or were having a wellness check conducted on them. In instances where the person is armed with a firearm, police do not have a choice. However Mental illness is more common then people think and it's more common for people to be undiagnosed then be in treatment. In the same way police would get you medical attention if you were injured, they should be getting the mentally ill the same

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stacyrect View Post
    I disagree on identification and procedure in regards to mentally ill people. The overwhelming majority of people killed by cops (54%) are mentally ill or were having a wellness check conducted on them. In instances where the person is armed with a firearm, police do not have a choice. However Mental illness is more common then people think and it's more common for people to be undiagnosed then be in treatment. In the same way police would get you medical attention if you were injured, they should be getting the mentally ill the same
    Maybe in Canada, giving someone a good beat is considered treatment.

Smooth move, Canada. They're going to start calling you North Texas if you keep it up.
    "I'm not stuck in the trench, I'm maintaining my rating."

well if the guy wasnt holding a stapler i guess there was no reason to taser him repeatedly.

this is the second recorded instance i think where Canadian police have fucked up. well maybe they did it more but nobody saw it.

Did they apologise? If not, that's very rude of Canada.

10+ Year Old Account
    Added relevant picture.