Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Polyxo View Post
    Basically none of this is true. The wild punches are largely harmless and kind of silly. Grappling causes significant damage to the body only if you know exactly what you're doing. Fights wind up with far more broken hands and fingers than head or torso injuries, and usually end with the participants half sitting, half laying down, usually on top of each other, breathing really heavy and ineffectually pushing at each other.
    It does happen, but as you well know all it takes is one. You also know that a Street fight is very unpredictable and very dangerous especially a fight between 2 strangers as neither one knows the others motives.

But as someone who has training, if a person is attacking you , do you simply let them go at it because they are untrained and "probably" wont hurt you? Or do you defend your self with every tool at your disposal?
    Non nobis Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam

Quote Originally Posted by Dystemper View Post
    It does happen, but as you well know all it takes is one. You also know that a Street fight is very unpredictable and very dangerous especially a fight between 2 strangers as neither one knows the others motives.

But as someone who has training, if a person is attacking you , do you simply let them go at it because they are untrained and "probably" wont hurt you? Or do you defend your self with every tool at your disposal?
    Definitely not with 'every tool at my disposal'. If I'm working a club, even as a very short girl, if I pick up a guy and dump him straight on his head, I'm probably looking at criminal charges. Street fights are generally not 'very dangerous'. They're generally very silly, and undignified.

The club I worked most at when I was doing club security was an LGBT friendly club, back before that was commonplace. There were a decent number of 'gay panic' fights where some guy would make a pass at a straight guy who was there at his girlfriend, and then would feel the need to start a fight to defend his straightness. If street fights where that dangerous, I, and all of my coworkers would be dead by now. Like I said before, they're silly and clumsy.

Basically none of this is true. The wild punches are largely harmless and kind of silly. Grappling causes significant damage to the body only if you know exactly what you're doing. Fights wind up with far more broken hands and fingers than head or torso injuries, and usually end with the participants half sitting, half laying down, usually on top of each other, breathing really heavy and ineffectually pushing at each other.
    This is probably mainly true when you are describing a fight between two middle age middle class guys that got in a pissing contest that went too far unless one of the has some training at some point in his past. The problem occurs when there is a large disparity in size, strength, numbers or skill or if you are attacked unawares. A 100 pound 45 year old woman (or even a 150 pound 20 year old man) is no match for a 250 pound 20 year old male if he decides to attack her. Unfortunately in today's society this happens too often. Remember a while back with the "knockout game" making its rounds across the country?

- - - Updated - - -

Definitely not with 'every tool at my disposal'. If I'm working a club, even as a very short girl, if I pick up a guy and dump him straight on his head, I'm probably looking at criminal charges. Street fights are generally not 'very dangerous'. They're generally very silly, and undignified.

The club I worked most at when I was doing club security was an LGBT friendly club, back before that was commonplace. There were a decent number of 'gay panic' fights where some guy would make a pass at a straight guy who was there at his girlfriend, and then would feel the need to start a fight to defend his straightness. If street fights where that dangerous, I, and all of my coworkers would be dead by now. Like I said before, they're silly and clumsy.
    Must be a different kind of bar than I went to in my youth. To be fair though, I was in the Navy at the time and have seem some pretty bad bars. I still have scars across the back of my knuckles from being slashed with a knife during a bar fight.

But honestly what you are describing is more along the lines of keeping order among drunken urban yuppies in a nightclub rather than breaking up real fights.

Quote Originally Posted by Thwart View Post
    This is probably mainly true when you are describing a fight between two middle age middle class guys that got in a pissing contest that went too far unless one of the has some training at some point in his past. The problem occurs when there is a large disparity in size, strength, numbers or skill or if you are attacked unawares. A 100 pound 45 year old woman (or even a 150 pound 20 year old man) is no match for a 250 pound 20 year old male if he decides to attack her. Unfortunately in today's society this happens too often. Remember a while back with the "knockout game" making its rounds across the country?

- - - Updated - - -

Must be a different kind of bar than I went to in my youth. To be fair though, I was in the Navy at the time and have seem some pretty bad bars. I still have scars across the back of my knuckles from being slashed with a knife during a bar fight.

But honestly what you are describing is more along the lines of keeping order among drunken urban yuppies in a nightclub rather than breaking up real fights.
    The fights at the LGBT club were the hardest to handle. A lot of gay dudes are fucking gigantic.

You are thee very first person I have ever met who supposedly had any MA training say that Street fights are not dangerous. Interesting. I wonder are you comparing a street fight to a sanctioned match? Two completely different animals. When I was a bouncer in my younger days, it was at some rather rough night clubs. I have been stabbed, clubbed, slashed, punched , slapped etc etc.

My experience and everyone else i have ever dealt with all agree that street fights are brutally violent, unpredictable and very fast. Perhaps you are comparing a bar room shoving match to a actual street fight.

- - - Updated - - -

The fights at the LGBT club were the hardest to handle. A lot of gay dudes are fucking gigantic.
    So are bikers and gang members.
    Non nobis Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam

Quote Originally Posted by Dystemper View Post
    You are thee very first person I have ever met who supposedly had any MA training say that Street fights are not dangerous. Interesting. I wonder are you comparing a street fight to a sanctioned match? Two completely different animals. When I was a bouncer in my younger days, it was at some rather rough night clubs. I have been stabbed, clubbed, slashed, punched , slapped etc etc.

My experience and everyone else i have ever dealt with all agree that street fights are brutally violent, unpredictable and very fast. Perhaps you are comparing a bar room shoving match to a actual street fight.

- - - Updated - - -

So are bikers and gang members.
    Street fights are sloppy, clumsy, silly, really not very dangerous. They can get dangerous if someone just tires out, and is basically laying there, and the other guy works up enough energy to start pounding on them while they're laying down. Generally, that's about the ONLY way someone can do any real damage other than a once in a blue moon shot. It's really hard to do any major, lasting damage to someone when they're mobile at all. It's hard enough for a trained person to do real lasting damage to an upright and mobile person, even when they're connecting. In terms of physics, the act of staggering or being knocked over simply absorbs far too much of the impact to do real, serious damage in most cases. If there were such a risk, combat sports would simply be way too dangerous to be feasible.

The main difference between a cagefight and a 'street fight' is that there's a lot more involuntary tripping on things, and punching people in places where it doesn't make sense to punch them in street fights. Bikers and gang members are pretty equally terrible fighters. Even Miami Dolphins are terrible fighters.

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Even after reading the story, I picture a mentally unstable loose cannon pulling a firearm to prove how big his dick is.
    I don't disagree with that. Just not nearly as mentally unstable as I was led to believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Xenryusho View Post
    I don't disagree with that. Just not nearly as mentally unstable as I was led to believe.
    You'd be surprised how many 'self defense' people are really just Charles Bronson LARPers.