10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chelly View Post
    the difference is that SAO is complete garbage and LH is just slow-paced trash
    and the only thing Grimgar got going for it is Yume's ass, everything else is shit.

10+ Year Old Account
    dude even the adds kill the tank and healer in 2 sec
    it's ridiculous right now
    Wiped around 10 times now on the last boss.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Enjeh View Post
    and the only thing Grimgar got going for it is Yume's ass, everything else is shit.
    Whao mejte

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zatheyll View Post
    Similar themes have completely different audiences.
    The target audience is literally the same, this is not 18+ fantasy -vs- LotR. It's all shounen, pretty generic and the only difference isthe quality of the story/writing/directing.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by KrayZee View Post
    How are they different. All of these shows feature people who are stuck in a different world with mmo/rpg features. So where does the 'different audience' come from? They are as similar as it gets without having the same story and LH even HAD the same story as SAO, pretty much.
    That's really not the case. You're comparing the most superficial similarities and call the shows the same. SAO is an action anime with much focus on romance, taking on some interesting questions about technology in the progress(with a varying degree of success). It has some problems, which can happen when you adapt a non-action focused novel as an action-focused anime and randomly cram short stories into the main story. LH is a pure action adventure, literally nothing else to say about it. Grimgar is a mix of fantasy SoL and drama with some action, without an actual story. The focus is entirely on the group's interpersonal relationships and their struggle to make a living in a hostile world. How are those series similar? It's like saying Lord of the Rings and Warhammer are similar because both are fantasy and have orcs.

S2 for all of them except for Grimgar were confirmed very early too (LH announced it during the credits) and SAO was 2 seasons from the start (24 episodes if I remember correctly, could be wrong though.)

The LN didn't get licensed and from what I remember the pre-order sales went poorly/mediocre, which is why I'm doubting a 2nd season (of the same quality).
    SAO was a 2cour with a confirmed sequel because it's a very big LN title that had a guaranteed following and commercial success before even airing. LH was in a similar situation, although to a lesser degree. Grimgar is very little known - it needed to prove itself to be a worthwhile investment before receiving the green light.
    Last edited by mmocab3a46fee3; 2016-07-27 at 12:23 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by goriq View Post
    People exaggerated on how Grimgar actually was. It was a solid show, but that's it. The girls weren't very good at all, actually. I didn't really care about them.
    I think the best part about Grimgar was how the world was portrayed, and that it followed a group that wasn't strong. If it didn't have that it would have been a generic insta-drop of the season.

10+ Year Old Account
    People exaggerated on how Grimgar actually was. It was a solid show, but that's it. The girls weren't very good at all, actually. I didn't really care about them.
    Well I have a reaction image for you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Couldn't do it. An hour and a half in the dungeon, had to leave. My roommate is still chugging at it, 3 wipes past where I left.

10+ Year Old Account
    [G]http://i.imgur.com/nbqErCn.png[/I]
    Mary is a goddess.

I really liked Mary. Not waifu-like, but as a character. I liked the chemistry she built up with Haru as well; they had an organic relationship even without shipping implications. The whole setup of the show was pretty good, really hoping it gets another season (or at least novel translations, official or otherwise).

edit: side ponytails always get bonus points from me, too

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    That's really not the case. You're comparing the most superficial similarities and call the shows the same. SAO is an action anime with much focus on romance, taking on some interesting questions about technology in the progress(with a varying degree of success). It has some problems, which can happen when you adapt a non-action focused novel as an action-focused anime and randomly cram short stories into the main story. LH is a pure action adventure, literally nothing else to say about it. Grimgar is a mix of fantasy SoL and drama with some action, without an actual story. The focus is entirely on the group's interpersonal relationships and their struggle to make a living in a hostile world. How are those series similar? It's like saying Lord of the Rings and Warhammer are similar because both are fantasy and have orcs.
    How are they not, the target audience are clearly young adults that like to play mmo-rpg type video games. Warhammer and LotR share more similarities than differences too (and both camps most likely checked each other out at some point) and on top of that you try to force them on these three shows. What you are comparing here is not Warhammer and LotR, or the Witcher and Fable, It's what Warcraft is compared to LotR, or Ft to Naruto.... a different story and different quality in how it was presented (though both are fairly shite)

You won't have rom-commers watching SAO but ignoring LH or Grimgar. They may like it more, but that's not the audience they were going for. If they were any more similar, they wouldn't have to air or produce it n the first place.
    Last edited by mmoc96d9238e4b; 2016-07-27 at 12:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zatheyll View Post
    I think the best part about Grimgar was how the world was portrayed, and that it followed a group that wasn't strong. If it didn't have that it would have been a generic insta-drop of the season.
    Yeah, unlike most other world transportation novels/anime Grimgar isn't a generic self inserted power/harem fantasy written by someone with an inferiority complex. The group is weak, and they know it. They are a bunch of misfits, but in the end they learn and adapt. They don't try to be the heroes going out to save the world, they just want to try and survive and be able to get by. The author also isn't afraid to go into some deeper topics as death and how to cope with it, which is probably one of my favorite things about it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sj View Post
    I really liked Mary. Not waifu-like, but as a character. I liked the chemistry she built up with Haru as well; they had an organic relationship even without shipping implications. The whole setup of the show was pretty good, really hoping it gets another season (or at least novel translations, official or otherwise).

edit: side ponytails always get bonus points from me, too
    The novels are being translated over at nanodesu, they wrapped volume 3 up a few weeks ago, which picks up where the anime ends, and is really good imo, and they started on volume 4.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm watching Grimgar right now,

someone care to explain why the best 'serious-alternate-world/mmo-rpg anime' didn't get a 2nd season yet but shows like SAO or Log Horizon, which feels like it's is both written and directed by a twelve year old, do?
    at least the better transferred/reincarnated to another world of that season is getting a second season: Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo!. KonoSuba

Quote Originally Posted by crimson View Post
    The novels are being translated over at nanodesu, they wrapped volume 3 up a few weeks ago, which picks up where the anime ends, and is really good imo, and they started on volume 4.
    I'll have to check that out eventually, got a lot on my plate atm.

at least the better transferred/reincarnated to another world of that season is getting a second season: Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo!. KonoSuba

Worst part about being a survival hunter is that your pet keeps dying to AoE because avoidance is completely broken
    worst part is you're actually playing that trash game.

You won't have rom-commers watching SAO but ignoring LH or Grimgar. They may like it more, but that's not the audience they were going for. If they were any more similar, they wouldn't have to air or produce it n the first place.
    SAO may attract rom/com fans just for the premise that romance is a crucial part of it. Also, a rom/com fan may enjoy SAO and not Log Horizon or Grimgar strictly because the lack of romance.
    Last edited by Schirmy; 2016-07-27 at 01:18 PM.

Deleted

And I'm very happy about that, even though all the timeskipping made the storytelling aspect of this show non existent...which it doesn't need to be funny and thus still enjoyable .

10+ Year Old Account
    Guess it's time to bring these back then
    [CENTER]

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll have to check that out eventually, got a lot on my plate atm.

<snip>
    Quote Originally Posted by Radio
    Good subs when?

Quote Originally Posted by Suicidal Panda View Post
    Guess it's time to bring these back then
    my nigga

Quote Originally Posted by Radio View Post
    [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/HBwgWIW.png[IMG]
    subs for hwat

10+ Year Old Account
    subs for hwat
    Kizu BDs are circulating the nyaasphere.