Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Because being around for something when it was current has worth in a game like this. It's the same reason CM / pvp gear goes away, etc etc. Call it a perk towards being a persistent player.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Greathoudini View Post
    I wouldn't quite consider the legendary quests as "content".
    That's a spectacularly silly viewpoint.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Decisive The Hallowed View Post
    Setting a expansion-limit to these Items such as the Cape and Ring make players who actualy put in the time and effort much more valuable and worth while. Very unfair for a player who spent most of the expanison working on the Cape/Ring just for other players who can just steamroll the old content for these items.
    Its the whole term that if everyone has it, no one is special. If everyone can get these items, then it has very little value.
    I dont really see the point of getting the cape and ring when you are 110. What do you need them for, gathering digital dust in your bank? Youll never use them and they hqve zero relevancy

The Patient
    15+ Year Old Account
    Anyone who gripes about content no longer being available, in order to give a nod towards those who put in the effort at the time, need to take a step back, and think really hard on why they are so annoyed.

Is it because the content is gone?
    Or, and this is more common, is it because you didn't bother doing said content, but now that it is going away, you don't have the time to go through it, and will miss out?

If the former, then I can understand. I never got to try out the original Naxxramas. The guild I was in back then only had a few attempts at Instructor Razuvious before TBC was released. I would like to have seen more of the original Naxxramas raid.
    If the latter, then it is pure entitlement, and you should be ashamed of yourself. Nothing in the world is free, even World of Warcraft. Although Blizzard has made a lot of the content more accessible, it still requires a minimal effort to do.

What Blizzard are doing here, by removing content, is rewarding those who came before, who did the long grind, the intense raids, the cumbersome questline, whatever it might have been. Some things are no longer available, such as the Scarab Lord title from opening the Gates of Ahn'Quiraj; or certain legendary items from Vanilla, TBC, and WotLK.

Such a system is a replacement for the sense of achievement felt after downing a raid boss in Vanilla and getting your first epic set item, while everyone else still wore rares. It is not meant to make you special or better, it is, for all intents and purposes, a reward for a job well done. There is nothing elitist about it, just hard work.

So stop griping about content going away. Lament that it is gone, but show a sign of respect towards those few who were willing to put in the effort.

Quote Originally Posted by mireigi View Post
    What Blizzard are doing here, by removing content, is rewarding those who came before, who did the long grind, the intense raids, the cumbersome questline, whatever it might have been.
    No. They are simply creating an incentive to sub and stay subbed "else you are going to miss it".

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Speshil View Post
    They said this was for rewarding current players with something speshil that no one else has.
    YAY, a useless Item more in the Bank! But its ORANGE!!!! ._.

Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Because being around for something when it was current has worth in a game like this. It's the same reason CM / pvp gear goes away, etc etc. Call it a perk towards being a persistent player.

- - - Updated - - -

That's a spectacularly silly viewpoint.
    Not really. I mean, all it is is just a bunch of "get a ton of these from those bosses. Should take a few weeks to complete" quests. Sure they had some scenarios to do, but that's about it. WoD's "legendary" questline was even worse yet, as instead of sending you on a quest, you sent your followers instead.

Deleted
    its good to make things prestigous so you can see who has slugged it out and put in the most effort in the game.
    Do you really care if people put "effort" or not in the game ? I though the point was to have fun.

Also, they could just leave the quest line in the game and remove the legendary item at the end. I have the feeling that questline with wrathion was very important.

the intense raids,
    Does LFR count as intense ?

Quote Originally Posted by l33t View Post
    Why? To create a false pride for people who are such a nobodies in the real life that they have to rely on in-game unobtainable items to cherish their pride, aka special snowflake syndrome people.
    Salt is real.

They created these quests and they ended, those of us who played got them during content when they were relevent. There is nothing wrong for being rewarded for playing and has absolutely nothing to do with making people resub or stay subbed, if you have a grievence with the game and want to quit, having ring or cape that gets outdated within the next year wouldn't keep you subbed.

Such negativity for no reason. Stop being babies.

Keep it special.
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

Quote Originally Posted by rda View Post
    No. They are simply creating an incentive to sub and stay subbed "else you are going to miss it".
    Nope, stupid comment, people don't stay subbed to do a quest that takes several raids/patches. You quit because you don't want to play, you don't stay because of a quest.

Quote Originally Posted by Khime View Post
    I still have a character with a quest to collect Copper Bars for the Ahn'Qiraj war effort.
    Yeah, that whole thing was fun at first, but became a shitshow when the raiders started demanding casuals work harder, so THEIR content would unlock faster. Our server actually boycotted the effort because of it. I dimly recall there were boycotts and slowdowns on other servers, too.

It's probably why Blizzard has never attempted anything like that again...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Timberwind View Post
    Nope, stupid comment, people don't stay subbed to do a quest that takes several raids/patches. You quit because you don't want to play, you don't stay because of a quest.

It's not unreasonable for somene to set a personal goal for themselves like "I'll finish this ring quest, and then take a break."

Grinding the cloak on several alts kept me going for a while in MoP, I don't see how the ring would be any different. It's something to do.

But that doesn't fit your agenda or narrative, so you attack. Right?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tonus View Post
    The whole purpose of the legendary quest (and likely the artifact nonsense in Legion) is to keep people subbed. That's why it takes so long and requires you to do so much boring shit. Likewise, that's why they make it clear that it's going to disappear after the expansion's over. They want you to sub right now and do it.

I'd prefer they focused on making fun content that we wanted to play because it's fun, but that's not their focus with WoW anymore. Overwatch is the fun game, WoW's the grindfest.

I don't think the issue is why the content is there - it's why it's removed.

And it's not the rewards, it's the journey. In MoP and WOD, those quest chains are the fucking STORY.

Yes, some players might want to go back and re-do those chains, because they didn't pay attention the first time, or didn't finish them, or they're new players, and they want to see the story of that expansion.

Now they can't.

It has nothing to do with elitism or gear or any of that crap. It's the lore and story. There's no reason to remove it, when they can just modify the rewards.

One of the most fascinating things about this forum and this game is how narcissistic it gets when anything is brought up, it almost instantly becomes about elitists and their fucking purples.

I don't know if the game itself attracts narcissists, or creates them - but I do know how they clog up these forums with their "Me! Me! Me!' bullshit.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by l33t View Post
    Why? To create a false pride for people who are such a nobodies in the real life that they have to rely on in-game unobtainable items to cherish their pride, aka special snowflake syndrome people.
    I've never understood why people say this. Whats wrong with people wanting prestige from their in game achievements? They have done something you cant - deal with it.

Sense of urgency to mess with people's brains in order to be subbed and, in the case of "Legendary Quest Chains" - since it's a long-ass gated chain quest, with shitty drop-rates and whatnot - for the longest possible time.

It really isn't rocket science; And it happens when Profit is placed ahead of valuing the creation of the best possible product for it's player-base.

Thank you for this! A reality check was sorely in order. Blizz should have this as one of its game tips at log on.LOL

Hilarious how many people actually like that Blizzard has gotten into the business of arbitrarily removing content from their games to "keep it special". What a load of bullshit. There's still a lot of people farming Thunderfury and Sulfuras, the only time a Legendary was ever not obtainable before was Ateish and that was entirely because they moved NAxx to Northrend and updated it for WOTLK. It's not as if this is something that was done because players demanded it, if players ever wanted this to be the case it was a very tiny amount of them, the rest of us never cared.

In no way at all whatsoever would it hurt players to keep these items and quest lines in the game and obtainable. It's just something more to do for players that don't already have them.
    Last edited by Shakou; 2016-07-28 at 10:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kikazz View Post
    a lot of games have timed events, having these events aka quests run an entire expansion is like that.

Aion had events that ended and rewards could no longer be obtained.
    Swtor did
    LOTRO Did
    Rift Did
    Wildstar Did
    Skyforge Did

get my point.

its good to make things prestigous so you can see who has slugged it out and put in the most effort in the game.

kind of defeatws the purpose of playing the current content if you can go back 3-4 expacs later and get the same rewards that people strived for while it was current.

removing things from the game also makes them more valuable at the time, and kind of drags people back into the game to achieve them.
    All those games you listed have one thing in common, they all failed miserably and they where all hailed by the anti blizzard bois as wowkillers

Quote Originally Posted by Greathoudini View Post
    Not really. I mean, all it is is just a bunch of "get a ton of these from those bosses. Should take a few weeks to complete" quests. Sure they had some scenarios to do, but that's about it. WoD's "legendary" questline was even worse yet, as instead of sending you on a quest, you sent your followers instead.
    They had scenarios and unique things to do, thus...are absolutely considered content.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Stanelis View Post
    Do you really care if people put "effort" or not in the game ? I though the point was to have fun.

Also, they could just leave the quest line in the game and remove the legendary item at the end. I have the feeling that questline with wrathion was very important.
    The point is to have fun, and occasionally be part of something while it happens. Persistent play is, and should continue to be, rewarded.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by mireigi View Post
    Anyone who gripes about content no longer being available, in order to give a nod towards those who put in the effort at the time, need to take a step back, and think really hard on why they are so annoyed.

Is it because the content is gone?
    Or, and this is more common, is it because you didn't bother doing said content, but now that it is going away, you don't have the time to go through it, and will miss out?

If the former, then I can understand. I never got to try out the original Naxxramas. The guild I was in back then only had a few attempts at Instructor Razuvious before TBC was released. I would like to have seen more of the original Naxxramas raid.
    If the latter, then it is pure entitlement, and you should be ashamed of yourself. Nothing in the world is free, even World of Warcraft. Although Blizzard has made a lot of the content more accessible, it still requires a minimal effort to do.

What Blizzard are doing here, by removing content, is rewarding those who came before, who did the long grind, the intense raids, the cumbersome questline, whatever it might have been. Some things are no longer available, such as the Scarab Lord title from opening the Gates of Ahn'Quiraj; or certain legendary items from Vanilla, TBC, and WotLK.

Such a system is a replacement for the sense of achievement felt after downing a raid boss in Vanilla and getting your first epic set item, while everyone else still wore rares. It is not meant to make you special or better, it is, for all intents and purposes, a reward for a job well done. There is nothing elitist about it, just hard work.

So stop griping about content going away. Lament that it is gone, but show a sign of respect towards those few who were willing to put in the effort.

Assuming you split the WoW community in elitists and casual, guess what, you missed a big chunk, peoples who true love WoW as game, peoples who played Warcraft 1,2,3 before WoW even existed. Is something what you probable can't understand and you think everybody run after titles or mounts.

And please, stop commenting about vanilla WoW, you did not played that, you have no idea how it was.. wasn't anything about epic items, everything was about adventure.

Quote Originally Posted by NightGamer View Post
    .. wasn't anything about epic items, everything was about adventure.
    This is very true. It wasnt about epics so much until we started raiding. When we were leveling it was all about the adventure, and even at max level the game still had plenty of adventure, something the current game sorely lacks. Dungeons themselves were major adventures back then, never mind the rewards. Raids became somewhat of an epic grind; however, they were so vast and well done back then they were also adventures. A shame the game has been reduced to a purely task based here's the goal go get it over with grind.

A lot of WoD lore revolved around the ring, kind of absurd for them to remove it IMO, at the very least remove the ring itself and keep the quests or something.