Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Espe View Post
    So sorry you can't yell "Fire!" in a crowded theater, you still have freedom of speech. You're not going to be jailed by the government for expressing an unfavorable opinion. The first amendment is still a thing. Is that really so hard to comprehend?
    The issue is that "freedom" is a subjective thing. Different people have different tolerances and beliefs on what freedom is. For me, the bar is extremely high. That's why when I say I support the freedom to own a gun, it means just that, all people should be able to own any gun they want. However, for others, they believe that there are plenty of gun control measures that can be implemented, and people would still have that freedom.

The same can be applied to speech. In America, we have a higher tolerance for allowing negative speech than many European nations. However, both believe they have freedom of speech.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    "PC is out of control and people keep shoving it down our throats!" = "I enjoy being an asshole to other people and I don't like people telling me I can't be an asshole."
    Actually, those 2 things are not equal at all. So many fucking whiny little shitbags these days get offended or hurt by completely non-issue things.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BalwickZaik View Post
    You're not French, so Orient is a term commandeered to mean something different to the East. I'm well aware of the origin of the word, much like Negro just means black.
    It means the East.

Orient assumes mystery and dragons, mountains, fancy architecture with lots of red paint and what not.
    Bibleland assumes a country with their views largely influenced by the Bible.
    What it conjures up in your head is not relevant to anything.

Neither are particularly accurate for large parts of the demographic they would be applied to.
    They are accurate, if you realise that Christianity is the basis for a lot of our culture and that anything East of Jerusalem is Eastern and anything West of it is Western.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by willtron View Post
    Those two examples are what it conjours up for you. I bet if you go ask 100 people what they think of when you say 'orient' they aren't going to describe mists of bloody pandaria.

And because it's a french word we can't use it? Well then, I best stop eating aubergine.
    Why would you eat those in the first place? There's a reason we didn't come up with our own name for them :P

Anyway, most people will have different perceptions of it, I don't disagree, but there'll likely be some mention of the architecture or feudal cultural traditions, or fantasy interpretations of the landscape.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    The same can be applied to speech. In America, we have a higher tolerance for allowing negative speech than many European nations. However, both believe they have freedom of speech.
    free·dom of speech
    noun
    noun: freedom of speech; plural noun: freedom of speeches; noun: free speech; plural noun: free speeches

the right to communicate one's opinions and ideas without fear of government retaliation or censorship.

You still have freedom of speech, despite the conservative hysteria.
    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel SnackyCakes View Post
    Actually, those 2 things are not equal at all. So many fucking whiny little shitbags these days get offended or hurt by completely non-issue things.
    You seem pretty offended over a non-issue thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Anyway, most people will have different perceptions of it, I don't disagree, but there'll likely be some mention of the architecture or feudal cultural traditions, or fantasy interpretations of the landscape.
    Which people can come up with when you mention China or Japan, so should we stop using those terms as well?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Which people can come up with when you mention China or Japan, so should we stop using those terms as well?
    They have separate cultures and histories, so I hope people wouldn't conflate the two. Which is the issue.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Noxx79 View Post
    You seem pretty offended over a non-issue thing.
    How is any of what I said me being offended?

"billions of dollars", lol.
    They always told me I would miss my family... but I never miss from close range.

They have separate cultures and histories, so I hope people wouldn't conflate the two. Which is the issue.
    Calling us Asians/Easterners/Orientals isn't an issue, it's ok, however, calling Chinese person Japanese is a problem
    Last edited by ls-; 2016-07-29 at 03:20 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    How is any of what I said me being offended?
    " So many fucking whiny little shitbags"

You seem to have quite and extreme aversion to "those people". You seem pretty offended by the existence of these people, when you should include yourself as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Noxx79 View Post
    " So many fucking whiny little shitbags"

You seem to have quite and extreme aversion to "those people". You seem pretty offended by the existence of these people, when you should include yourself as well.
    Seems you are just grasping at straws there kiddo. You can think people are morons without being offended by them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Which is true of just about every term used to reference a region. That is not a sensible argument, otherwise we cannot say people are Western, European, British, etc. as people that fall within those terms have separate cultures and histories to varying degrees.

I would like to see the WHOLE text of the bill, I imagine there is more than a sampling of PORK in there to entice the powers that be to vote for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Espe View Post
    free·dom of speech
    noun
    noun: freedom of speech; plural noun: freedom of speeches; noun: free speech; plural noun: free speeches

the right to communicate one's opinions and ideas without fear of government retaliation or censorship.

You still have freedom of speech, despite the conservative hysteria.
    But you already stated where someone is not free to have speech. You cannot legally yell "Fire!" in a crowded movie theater. In some European countries, you can be arrested for insulting the monarchy. Once again, freedom is a subjective term when it comes to its application.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lightspark View Post
    Calling us Asians/Easterners/Orientals isn't an issue, it's ok, however, calling Chinese person Japanese is a problem
    We do it the other way around and just call everyone Chinese - Japanese, Koreans or whatever...all Chinese.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by lightspark View Post
    Had a Vietnamese friend in school, someone called him Korean. Was pissed the rest of the day
    @Kalis pls. This is just going round in circles. Orient carries implications that not everyone is comfortable with. Compass directions do not.

7+ Year Old Account
    Seems you are just grasping at straws there kiddo. You can think people are morons without being offended by them.
    Seems like you are grasping at straws, kiddo. You can disagree with people and not call them whiny little shitbags.
    You're just too obtuse to realize that you are offended by them, as it would cause the realization that you are what you hate.

of·fend
    əˈfend/Submit
    verb
    past tense: offended; past participle: offended
    cause to feel upset, annoyed, or resentful.
    "viewers said they had been offended by bad language"
    synonyms: hurt someone's feelings, give offense to, affront, displease, upset, distress, hurt, wound; More
    be displeasing to.

So I guess you're saying that you're not annoyed with "those people"

Why insult them then.
    Last edited by Noxx79; 2016-07-29 at 03:28 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    @Kalis pls. This is just going round in circles. Orient carries implications that not everyone is comfortable with. Compass directions do not.
    Only because you are applying completely arbitrary reasons why one is acceptable but others are not.

Westerners implies certain notions that some people are not confortable with, ditto for Far Eastern. And Middle Eastern...yeah, best not to go into what that conjures up.

Regional descriptors always conjure up pre-conceived notions, when you think of the North what pops into your head? What about Cornwall? It is not a valid argument to stop using one particular term.