Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by FurryFoxWolf View Post
    oh i see stil lcould have given people a 5 day office 365 trial or something
    Why would office make sense? Office is designed for all their OS's not just Windows 10.

Deleted
    i dunno i just think the reward is a bit shitty

Running out of things to complain about at this point?
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    I agree and sadly the only way to disable it is stop the service and hide the update on 8.1/7 apparently. It shouldn't be intrusive I agree on that.
    Eh. Or just uninstall the update that added the "UPDATE TO WIN10 now" Icon. Done it on tons of machines with no extra program, hiding services, etc.

love how you thin you dnt need to secure your privacy and in an earlier post u mention that you wasnt doing anything incriminating, theres nothing wrong in wanting your data secure srsly, people use that tin foil hat crap, yeah having a bit of paranoia is healthy but for me i suffer with severe paranoia due to schizophrenia, i have my pc on fucking lockdown using registry hacks to disable alot of features which can be used to disable k9 web filter, im not a kid i installed it myself using a disposable email so i cant access the filter. my pc is setup perfectly so i dnt have to alter anything and i will only make the move to windows 10 when 7 isnt supported by blizzard games and this is the same for alot of people aobut blizzard
    Love how you think you are actually secure when you probably aren't. Seriously, "they" know who you are and what you do anyway. Also, it's not like they are collecting any data for any sort of nefarious purpose. They want to collect data about how people use Windows so that they can improve the experience for more people. That's it really. They want to give you what you want, but they don't know what you want. It's not as though there is some person sitting there going through your personal private data either. It's collected and analyzed by software. There is no one at Microsoft/Google/anyone who collects this data who could really give two shits about you personally. Honestly, do you think that highly of yourself that you think someone is sitting there analyzing your every move online? What is it you are so afraid of them doing with that information anyway?

10+ Year Old Account
    Buhbye Win 10. You and your worshipers won't be missed.

The Luddite power is strong in this thread.

Funny shit is that you people could have upgraded for free and if you really didn't like it, revert back to your previous Windows 7/8.1 installation and still have credit for the free upgrade later on.

Not anymore lol.
    Last edited by Tradewind; 2016-07-30 at 05:49 AM.

my Windows 7 pc takes like 5 seconds to boot cos its installed on a SSD drive, and if your booting takes longer go get some food and a drink while you wait
    I call bullshit on that. I think the fastest recorded time W7 on SSD is something like 15 seconds. To put that into perspective my W10 boots up within 10 seconds on a 7200 RPM mechanical HDD.

Quote Originally Posted by Laqweeta View Post
    I call bullshit on that. I think the fastest recorded time W7 on SSD is something like 15 seconds. To put that into perspective my W10 boots up within 10 seconds on a 7200 RPM mechanical HDD.
    It's been well established, certainly in the last 2 or 3 pages that FurryFoxWolf has no clue.

Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    Eh. Or just uninstall the update that added the "UPDATE TO WIN10 now" Icon. Done it on tons of machines with no extra program, hiding services, etc.
    Oh yeah and then use the fixit to hide it just like I did with the Nvidia and VIA driver on 10. Didn't think of that lel.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by bocephus View Post
    I didn't hate 7 when it came out, I liked it even better than XP which is my second favorite of the Windows OS. I am very suspicious of ANYTHING that is being pushed as hard as Win 10 is. Aside from that, and someone correct me if there is a way to change this, I HATE the way Win 10 is basically laid out like a tablet OS or touchscreen OS. I have spent years becoming accustomed to AND liking the way Windows XP and then 7 operates (I skipped all the short lived ones because I do not like change and rarely buy or change to anything that is first release, from software to cars, I want a few years of troubleshooting to let others work the bugs out). Bottom line is why change something that works really well already? Money of course, it was rhetorical, but if there are any logical answers I am open to hearing them. I am upgrading to 10 on an older system but keeping 7 for as long as I can on my main system. I will just pay for the upgrade when I have to. Of course by then there will be an even NEWER version out... Cheers.
    But Windows 10 isn't like that. I justupgraded from 7 and 10 is perfectly familiar, right down to the Start button, and desktop icons. You're thinking of Win8 surely. You can have 10 go all tiled and so on for a touch system if you want, but you can have it look almost identical to a Win 7 desktop environment - if you want.

Microsoft have already said there won;t be a newer version out. From now on there will just be incremental patches to 10.

Because they did everything they wanted to in 10, which is basically, an operating system for all devices including mobile so it has a full touch interface, but addressing the problems of 8 which went too far towards mobile and not catering enough for desktop.

Also, everyone may wish to note, the main reason there are so many XP and Win7 systems around is that they are mainly legacy systems in corporations and businesses. They retain older OS because they either need to keep running software it woul dbe expensive to rewrite, or they dont; wish to retain loads of end users in the new versions. That was a particular problem for Win8 because it's front end was very different.

I used to work in IT where we had hundreds of users and I would have shuddered at the thought of deploying Win8 to them because they were all used to older Windows (back then we had enough issues when we replaced 95 with NT!)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    Love how you think you are actually secure when you probably aren't. Seriously, "they" know who you are and what you do anyway. Also, it's not like they are collecting any data for any sort of nefarious purpose. They want to collect data about how people use Windows so that they can improve the experience for more people. That's it really. They want to give you what you want, but they don't know what you want. It's not as though there is some person sitting there going through your personal private data either. It's collected and analyzed by software. There is no one at Microsoft/Google/anyone who collects this data who could really give two shits about you personally. Honestly, do you think that highly of yourself that you think someone is sitting there analyzing your every move online? What is it you are so afraid of them doing with that information anyway?
    Well, I don;t think it;s sensible to deny that Windows 10 had privacy issues. Some people - including me - just don;t like and aren;t comfortable with the amount of data 10 can potentially hoover up and send back to Microsoft for them to use pretty much any way they like. In fact it became so much of an issue that MS updated 10 to make turning a lot of it off easier. You only need to see some of the options you need to turn off to see how problmatic they are - particularly the ones which want to suck up your data to send you "targetted adverts"

It's really quite irrelevent as to whether a person is sifting through your data or a bit of software is, some of us just don;t want it to happen, and my big issue with 10 was that at launch Microsoft took considerable pains to bury the whole process so that users didn;t realise it was going on, took even more pains to bury the options to turn it off, or just didn;t give you the option to turn it off at all. So even they knew it was going to be controversial and caus eissues.

Your argument is essentially "nothing ot hide nothing to fear" and attempts to portray people who care about their privacy more than you do as being wrong-headed. I don;t "fear" it, I just dont; like Microsoft or anyone else knowing that much about me - because sure as hell they aren;t doing it for my benefit. If they "dont; give two shits" they wouldn;t collect it. They do care because they collect the data to flog to advertisers - and other corporations.

And I would add, as a non-US citizen I object to my data being hoovered up by Microsoft or any other US based corporation - from a European perspective, American data and privacy protection leaves a lot to be desired and particularly in the way it treats non-US citizens as second class because what protections there are often apply to Americans but not to anyone else. All data held by Microsoft is of course subject to stuff like the Patriot Act.

It's a shame people are so against the idea of Windows 10. You can disable pretty much anything you want to and set it up however you want. Just spend some time setting it up that way you want it to run. Watch some guides on YouTube or whatever if you have to. The effort is worth it in the end. Hell, even from a fresh install it runs fucking great. I didn't even mind Windows 8 to be honest, 8.1 was an upgrade and 10 was even better.

I'm sorry if I come off as some kind of Windows fanboy or whatever, but I guess I sort of am. I appreciate change... I really don't understand some of your arguments. "hurrdurr Windows 7 still runs fine, why would I want something that runs faster, has ongoing support and updates and has promising technologies to aid gaming in the future?". Just because some old shit works doesn't mean it's not good to using the new shit. Imagine if game developers had that kind of mindset.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nakotsu View Post
    There are no more updates for windows 7. so go ahead. They will not be doing any more support for that OS anymore
    IIRC w7 will continue having security updates until 2020.
    The support that is no more is free phone/mail support and non-security updates.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ifeanychukwu View Post
    You can disable pretty much anything you want to and set it up however you want.
    I kind of like W10, but that's just not true. There's lots of stuff that W10 collects and installs that cannot be disabled - for non enterprise versions at least.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    its called severe paranoia i suffer withit cos i have schizophrenia they are both horrible things to have just be thankful u dnt have any of them,

- - - Updated - - -

and in a future update of W10 there making so ou cant disable cortana, il be sticking with windows 7, hell id rather upgrade to 8/8.1 than 10

7+ Year Old Account
    Well it's July 30th so I guess us win7 users can come out of the basements and remove our tinfoil hats. The siege is over! We have survived!

I gave over to my Corporate Overlords long ago......ALL HAIL MICROSOFT AND THEIR GOD LIKE CREATION THAT IS WINDOWS 10, BOW AND BASK IN IT'S PRESENCE.

Quote Originally Posted by Nebiroth99 View Post
    Well, I don;t think it;s sensible to deny that Windows 10 had privacy issues. Some people - including me - just don;t like and aren;t comfortable with the amount of data 10 can potentially hoover up and send back to Microsoft for them to use pretty much any way they like. In fact it became so much of an issue that MS updated 10 to make turning a lot of it off easier. You only need to see some of the options you need to turn off to see how problmatic they are - particularly the ones which want to suck up your data to send you "targetted adverts"

It's really quite irrelevent as to whether a person is sifting through your data or a bit of software is, some of us just don;t want it to happen, and my big issue with 10 was that at launch Microsoft took considerable pains to bury the whole process so that users didn;t realise it was going on, took even more pains to bury the options to turn it off, or just didn;t give you the option to turn it off at all. So even they knew it was going to be controversial and caus eissues.

Your argument is essentially "nothing ot hide nothing to fear" and attempts to portray people who care about their privacy more than you do as being wrong-headed. I don;t "fear" it, I just dont; like Microsoft or anyone else knowing that much about me - because sure as hell they aren;t doing it for my benefit. If they "dont; give two shits" they wouldn;t collect it. They do care because they collect the data to flog to advertisers - and other corporations.

And I would add, as a non-US citizen I object to my data being hoovered up by Microsoft or any other US based corporation - from a European perspective, American data and privacy protection leaves a lot to be desired and particularly in the way it treats non-US citizens as second class because what protections there are often apply to Americans but not to anyone else. All data held by Microsoft is of course subject to stuff like the Patriot Act.
    I am not denying that it had issues. They ar mostly resolved now though. I never recommend installing a new version of Windows immediately after it is out, however, by the time I did install it, with a fresh install, there were options to turn most of it off during the install. I have not taken any additional steps to remove anything other than turning things off at install and I have never seen a single advert, much less a targeted one. I have not had any apps force install themselves, nor any of the other horrible things that people speak of. and sure, they took steps to bury the whole process, but so does google and everyone else who collects data on you.

Seriously, nearly any site that you sign up for that gets an e-mail address from you is collecting data on you. It happens everywhere, all the time. Anytime you swipe your credit card at a store, data is being collected on you. What Microsoft is doing is no worse than what happens everyday, everywhere. Yet people lash out at Microsoft for doing it, so that they are able to keep up and compete. Just look at your mail. Half the stuff you get in your mail are targeted adverts.

In addition, there are plenty of people that prefer targeted adverts as opposed to just random adverts you could care less about. How else are companies supposed to let you know about things you might want? Targeted adverts cost them less as well. Instead of sending out a million adverts that all cost money to a million random people, they can spend less money and send out a few thousand to only people that will be likely interested, bringing the cost of advertising down and therefore the total cost of the product. How is this a bad thing?

On the forums of more graphically intense games, for example Star Citizen, you see way more people with 10 than 7 & 8, probably not surprising that there's more people on this site that don't bother upgrading since they mostly only play WoW.

I noticed improvements from each upgrade from W7 to W8 to W10; W10 had the fastest install of any windows, takes the least space on disk, fastest boot times and navigation, for me at least. Not saying those that say it fucked up their computer or made it less performant are lying but it's not the experience I had at all.

Also, having 8 right now? That's fine... but 7? Even my friends that aren't into computers that much still have at least 8. 7 is like school/office computer Windows now.

Deleted
    remember there are W10 excluive gmes aswell