The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account

Post Obama to push for TPP passage despite opposition from presidential candidates

WASHINGTON • During a visit from Singapore's prime minister on Tuesday, President Barack Obama will extol the Trans-Pacific Partnership trade deal and commit to getting the deal done, a top White House official said on Friday, even though Obama's fellow Democrats panned it at their convention this week.

Obama wants the Congress to approve the 12-nation trade deal, which he sees as a central part of his economic and foreign policy legacy, before he leaves the White House on Jan. 20.

Free trade deals have been blamed for U.S. manufacturing plant closures, job losses and stagnant wages. Obama has cast the TPP as righting the wrongs of past trade deals like the North American Free Trade Agreement with Mexico and Canada. Both countries also are part of the TPP.

Both Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton and Republican Donald Trump oppose the TPP, and it has become a hot-button issue in the campaign to replace Obama.

Congressional leaders have been pessimistic about the odds of ratifying the deal either during the short session in September, or during the brief "lame duck" session after the Nov. 8 election.

When Obama rolls out the red carpet for Singapore Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong on Tuesday, one of the main goals will be "lifting up the benefits" of the TPP, said Daniel Kritenbrink, top Asia policy adviser at the White House National Security Council.

"I predict he will also once again say to the prime minister that he's committed to getting TPP done and doing so before the end of his term," Kritenbrink told reporters on Friday.

"TPP is going to be great for the American economy, for American workers and American companies," Kritenbrink said, noting Singapore, a signatory to the deal, strongly supports it.

Trump has argued vociferously against multinational trade deals like TPP, saying he would prefer instead to have deals with specific countries one on one. On Thursday night at a rally in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, Trump said TPP should be rejected.

"I like trade where the United States makes a lot of money," he said.

Trump has been critical of Clinton, Obama's former secretary of state, and her vice presidential running mate Tim Kaine, for shifting their positions to oppose the trade deal.

Signs protesting the deal were prominent during the Democratic convention, which wrapped up on Thursday.

Kaine, a Democratic senator who had praised the TPP deal until he joined Clinton's ticket, told CNN on Friday that he was concerned the deal gives corporations the power to challenge trade practices, but not unions or environmental groups.

"The deal is going to come up for a vote and I can't vote for it with these secret courts that are open to the companies only," Kaine said in the interview.

Obama is "acutely aware" of the difficult election year politics for the TPP but that will not stop him from forging ahead, White House spokesman Eric Schultz told reporters on Friday.

"The president absolutely believes this deal should pass this year," Schultz said.
    Source

I guess Obama is mostly just out to sink Hillary Clinton and the Democratic party this election cycle. Is he retarded? or does he just not give a shit?

- - - Updated - - -

"The Democratic Nominee opposes it, the Democratic Runner-up opposes it, the Democratic base opposes it, the Republican Party officially opposes it, the Republican base opposes it, the Republican Nominee opposes it. Wall Street supports it. Better pass it." - Obama
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

Clinton doesn't oppose it. But he is going to start the ball rolling hoping that if Hillary wins she can seal the deal.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mafic View Post
    Clinton doesn't oppose it. But he is going to start the ball rolling hoping that if Hillary wins she can seal the deal.
    I give that a 50-50, on the one hand Clinton might do it if she sails smoothly into the white house. However if she is always threatened with defeat than she might see herself as too weak to actually make this wretch thing happen.

Right now she is nicely on bended knee begging the progressive faction to stick with her and trying to crush any doubts in her stance on TPP. I am skeptical of her loyalty, as anyone should be with a Clinton, that name is synonymous with backstabbing your supporters.

However I doubt Trump's loyalty as well, after he offered to turn his theoretical presidency over to Kaisach as a VP brain trust and he is fanatical for TPP.
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    Source

I guess Obama is mostly just out to sink Hillary Clinton and the Democratic party this election cycle. Is he retarded? or does he just not give a shit?

- - - Updated - - -

"The Democratic Nominee opposes it, the Democratic Runner-up opposes it, the Democratic base opposes it, the Republican Party officially opposes it, the Republican base opposes it, the Republican Nominee opposes it. Wall Street supports it. Better pass it." - Obama
    I think you are overreacting. She is not oppose to it in truth. She will play the border line game depending on the public perception of the TPP. But once she is elected. She will back it. This will not sink Hillary. If she sinks, it will because of the many holes already existing in her char.

10+ Year Old Account
    One of the few times I want the Republicans to unite and vote against Obama.....

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    I think you are overreacting. She is not oppose to it in truth. She will play the border line game depending on the public perception of the TPP. But once she is elected. She will back it. This will not sink Hillary. If she sinks, it will because of the many holes already existing in her char.
    I think it could sink her because she is on the SS Democrat, and it would absolutely tank the Democrats this cycle. Heck NAFTA more or less lost the state legislature's of the rust belt to the Republicans.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think it could sink her because she is on the SS Democrat, and it would absolutely tank the Democrats this cycle. Heck NAFTA more or less lost the state legislature's of the rust belt to the Republicans.
    I hope you are right.

I give that a 50-50, on the one hand Clinton might do it if she sails smoothly into the white house. However if she is always threatened with defeat than she might see herself as too weak to actually make this wretch thing happen.

Right now she is nicely on bended knee begging the progressive faction to stick with her and trying to crush any doubts in her stance on TPP. I am skeptical of her loyalty, as anyone should be with a Clinton, that name is synonymous with backstabbing your supporters.

However I doubt Trump's loyalty as well, after he offered to turn his theoretical presidency over to Kaisach as a VP brain trust and he is fanatical for TPP.
    The timing is simply bad because Clinton/Kaine are heading to the Rust Belt. If the next few months of news cycle is dominated by TPP talk this will be free advertising for Trump to sink Clinton's campaign.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Templar 331 View Post
    One of the few times I want the Republicans to unite and vote against Obama.....
    Except that this is the only fucking thing of his they support.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

If the Republicans were smart they would stall and make it an issue this election cycle even if they support it. Then use it as leverage in case Clinton wins to obtain more concessions depending on how desperate Clinton would be to pass TPP.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    Except that this is the only fucking thing of his they support.
    than this country is boned.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    I hope you are right.
    All of this really depends on how much Hillary Clinton has power over Obama and the Democrats. The party would be destroyed this cycle and a Trump presidency would ensue, If it was lame ducked in after the election, the party would not survive the 2020 election which would be a long term disaster for the Democrats because redistricting and the census happens again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    Very much so.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mafic View Post
    The timing is simply bad because Clinton/Kaine are heading to the Rust Belt. If the next few months of news cycle is dominated by TPP talk this will be free advertising for Trump to sink Clinton's campaign.
    Clinton and Kaine have, at least in words, done their homework on how to talk about the issue. At least in words the two now are acting (Or possibly sincere) like molotov throwers against this wretch policy position.

Source

- - - Updated - - -

The TPP is one of the few things that has bipartisan support, the american people no longer control the government corporations are. Hillary Clinton even Donald Trump will also pass it in one form or another regardless of what they are saying now.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracos854 View Post
    The TPP is one of the few things that has bipartisan support, the american people no longer control the government corporations are. Hillary Clinton even Donald Trump will also pass it in one form or another regardless of what they are saying now.
    That notable DC Consensus is strong, as is the elite consensus on "How best to do things."

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Coins View Post
    Nobody actually opposes it, too much money involved. They only oppose it as easy election campaign votes.

When they're in office they'll all push for it too.
    That is a very strong argument for voting third party you got there.

TPP just NAFTA expanded, kind of the "welsh rabbit" of NAFTA meaning it fools people into thinking it's rabbit or NAFTA.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    TPP just NAFTA expanded, kind of the "welsh rabbit" of NAFTA meaning it fools people into thinking it's rabbit or NAFTA.
    I am unsure if your trying to insult me or my country of origin? Do you mean Welsh rarebit.... the dish?

As for NAFTA, NAFTA was bad enough and also hurt the Democrats very badly in the rust belt, as much as it hurt the people living there.

- - - Updated - - -

Joseph Stiglitz speaking out against TPP.

Hoof Hearted!!!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    This country is boned no matter which candidate becomes president this election.
    when all else fails, read the STICKIES.