Page 34 of 37 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    Happy happy. It was so weird having dirt become completely different color when digging and replacing it. Although, then again, it used to be fun to have several different colors of dirt in the betas.
    Yeah. Is all dirt the same color once you dig it up now?

If so, do they have some kind of paint feature that I haven't noticed?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    do they have some kind of paint feature that I haven't noticed?
    Yes, the matter manipulator has an upgrade that can paint surfaces. Still, won't get all the same shades as all the different colored soils, I'm guessing.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    For pixels I would recommend Clay.
    Find a desert planet. dig down to a clay layer and gather up a ton. turn the clay into fired bricks and turn those into Roof Tiles.
    1k clay is like 30k pixels this way.
    The roof tiles have no value on my menu, do you sell them at a vendor or do something else with them?
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
    The roof tiles have no value on my menu, do you sell them at a vendor or do something else with them?
    Yes you sell them to a vendor.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

:I

Where do I find rice seeds?

I played the game trough. Never found a seed.
    I made a new character. Got a big farm already with lots of variety. No rice so far. :I

I find them to be required in some easy craftable foods.

In a nutshell, Starbound is a great game. It's different from Terraria, yet similar, and very clearly worse. A lot of the unique designs that were introduced early on in Starbound's testing phase were removed, and the game has been largely simplified. I feel like the game is still unfinished, to be honest, and a lot of the things they wanted to add never happened.

Still, I like Starbound. It's a very fun game. I didn't buy it because it would replace Terraria or be better. It's its own game, and I am happy with it for the most part. There are just a lot of things about it I am disappointed by, but... that's just how it goes, you know? It may have been worse had they not changed it. Who knows.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by therealbowser View Post
    A lot of the unique designs that were introduced early on in Starbound's testing phase were removed
    You mind listing some of those?

Quote Originally Posted by Morae View Post
    Where do I find rice seeds?
    Just as with most seeds, you should come across plants. Dig them up, and you'll get the seed. Just run around planets and you should find plenty of different kinds of plants to farm.

Just as with most seeds, you should come across plants. Dig them up, and you'll get the seed. Just run around planets and you should find plenty of different kinds of plants to farm.
    The thing is. I did that. Not a single seed. Just rather large stack of rice.

and very clearly worse.
    No argument from me. Ultimately Terraria executed a more simple idea which just ends up being more engaging rather than having a whole load of stuff thrown at you.

Starbound will probably have patches though, anything to suggest the contrary?
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Deleted
    The thing is. I did that. Not a single seed. Just rather large stack of rice.
    Do you use the manipulator to dig up the plants? I wasn't aware that getting the seed wasn't 100%, so it might be some bug.

Yes, I use the manipulator to dig them up.

You mind listing some of those?
    I don't recall all of them, but for instance, cold was something managed by wearing proper gear to counteract it. Many times I would go deep into a planet and start freezing because I wasn't equipped to handle an ice cavern.

Survival now just means you eat food on occasion. *shrug*

I mean, maybe stuff like this wouldn't have fit the game as well, but it definitely set it apart.

Deleted
    I don't recall all of them, but for instance, cold was something managed by wearing proper gear to counteract it. Many times I would go deep into a planet and start freezing because I wasn't equipped to handle an ice cavern.
    Yeah, the temperature thing was removed indeed. Well, that's one thing, although personally, since it was removed quite a long time ago already and not in the live patch, I don't miss it at all. Plus, there are like a million mods out there, which add and manipulate terrain and gases and so on, so I'm sure there's one that adds temperature back.

Survival now just means you eat food on occasion. *shrug*
    Not sure if you've even played the latest version but at least in the beginning, I find myself munching on food way too often. So often, in fact, that it pisses me off. Also, I'm carrying a full food tab of burnt veggies with me when adventuring towards the core of a planet, and when I get down there I've eaten pretty much everything, and the rest has rot away.

I'd quit playing the game if I had to eat any more often.

http://community.playstarbound.com/r...list-mod.3517/

There's a mod for all sorts of survival stuff. There's also an outdated "Temperature Returns" -mod here:

http://community.playstarbound.com/r...-returns.2475/

So, yeah... If there was a big enough want from the community for such a thing, modders would make it. Starbound hasn't been live for very long and people are on their summer vacations right now, so I'm confident more live mods will start coming in the fall, and I bet a temperature mod might just pop up.

See, the thing is, this was at least party, if not largely, or even completely crowdfunded effort, and writing code costs money. You have to pay people to do it, and that includes yourself in a small firm. And, when you put a game out there, you have to support it as well, at least a little bit. So, you'll have to make sure you can support all the features you put in it, and that you have the resources to put them in to begin with. Thus, a lot of complex and often problematic features get cut.

But, since there are mods, the community can implement those features themselves.
    Last edited by mmoc3ff0cc8be0; 2016-07-30 at 06:00 PM.

Talking about mods. Ever since I bumped into Avali during early access I have totally loved that custom race.

Another mod I found useful to help with the eating problem. It shows me what effects the foods have, how much food they give and in minutes, how much longer until they will rot into green puddles. It has made eating food much more efficient. I can eat the "small" foods when I just need to fill that bar so I get the full stomach buff. Then during trips somewhere, I can prioritize the foods that will go bad sooner and leave the fresh ones. It was hard to tell what were old food among the freshly crafted ones.

Another subject.

It seems there may be a bug with the rice. I could not pick rice from the starting planet I was on. Probably same happened to my first character. No idea why it matters, but when I went to another starting planet (the type that are always the same), I suddenly could pick them up and got the seeds.

Deleted
    Started a new game on a human, and new homebase starting to take some shape;

(Click to enlarge.)

I kind of suck at architecture, although these buildings to tend to change a lot over time and sort of become prettier. They tend to start out rough like this, but then I fiddle with the walls and windows (these I don't like at all, especially since I have no glass yet) and so on. Meaning to build a tower and a continuation of the building to the up right, then have a sheltered courtyard with a farm and a couple trees to the left, with another building after that. Plenty of space for tenants; more shopkeepers and crew.

I need to put some real effort into a homebase rather than wood block rooms...

Somehow my bases are rarely symmetric or have similar shapes repeated. I also can't bother farming all the materials and then craft tons of building materials so I usually stick with completely basic materials that I can quickly gather and mass produce.

Small part of the base of my first character. My fluffalo farm is far to right and my third garden is to left. Would need probably two or three more screenshots to show that all. Lot of stuff moved to ship, though. It is very large and quicker access than my base. It is also not structurally convoluted and random like the base.

http://images.akamai.steamuserconten...8D584A268EC98/

With my new character, I try to build more sensible base this time. Not just randomly generate a room when I need space. I also try to make things looks pretty. Next thing I build will be area for my fluffalos. This time, since I know they can't be moved after placed, I will put different types on separate fenced areas. Still at the start so not much stuff in yet.

http://images.akamai.steamuserconten...D5D6216B4276E/

I like looking at pictures of what other people have constructed. Gives me ideas. Like... i could layer my house with bricks so it will look like it has wooden walls inside and bricwall outside! :C

Deleted
    i could layer my house with bricks so it will look like it has wooden walls inside and bricwall outside! :C
    Yeah, I like that style. For some reason I stuck a two-wide layer of cobblestone bricks in my building, but I'm not feeling it. Might just go back to pure bricks once I get around digging up more clay. Found so much clay I won't be running out, but for now, I like the "safe" feeling of having stone walls with a brick layer outside.

It's all about the zen anyway. Whatever makes you feel cozy. I mean, sure, you can play the game as just an adventure game, but I like the building aspect of it more. First build some kind of a starting home, then branch out to other planets and build outpost buildings and so on. Rather than just planethopping and running around trying to find loot.

- - - Updated - - -

Also remembered I hate just plopping torches here and there, and switched back to making actual light poles; 1 wide 3 high unrefined wood, then 1 wide 1 high fence, and on top of that a copper oil lamp, all in the background so as to be "walkthrough". The fence isn't actually visible but it gives the impression that something is holding up that oil lamp.

Like this:

The one on the right is just an example without the lamp, so that the fence is visible. I used to do bigger "street lamp" -style lamp posts in the betas, but these are usable in caves too. Just makes stuff look a bit more tidy, rather than torches sticking out of the ground everywhere.

Nighttime view:

Last edited by mmoc3ff0cc8be0; 2016-07-31 at 12:10 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    Yes you sell them to a vendor.
    Have you checked lately? There's been a patch. I used to sell blue glowstones (Since they vendored for money) that I mined off of various planets, and those aren't worth money to vendors any more either.

Either way, I have more money than I know what to do with now, unless I find some exorbitantly expensive stuff.

I might start looking at mods to play with until no man's sky comes out.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Can't believe there wasn't a keystone for exploring Nova Kid settlements (let along having some Nova Kid settlements would be nice). Seems like they really dropped the ball with that.
    Battletag(US): Bradski#11752
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    What do you call a tsundere Wookie? Chew-b-b-baka