Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

The straw that broke the camels back.

Firstly I've been reading these forums for about 10 years now i think and i know I'm going to come off as some kind of male chauvinist that want's to keep women down but i can assure you that isn't the case but i have had enough so here's my story.

I'm Scottish , male early 30s. Probably a moany uncaring bastard by today's modern standards. I'm sorry if this is a long post.

I've done nothing with my life except maybe half in for a couple of kids if you want to count that , i don't .
    Shit job after shit job , haven't been happy in anything really I've tried the Army worked at the BBC and had numerous jobs in sales i just don't last very long in these. i fell into a job in Insolvency exactly a year ago and i have even surprised myself lasting this long and I'm doing really well at it and i have turned down promotion twice now as I'd earn less money.
    We had a great wee team, i got along with every one except this one Lady and i struggle to use that term regarding her , we have had a few run ins about her entitled behavior just because she has a vagina.
    So the trouble at work really started 9 months ago when the bonus structure was altered and it hit everyone pretty hard. She was one of the first to complain and i was right by her side and rightly so because we were getting screwed , we ended up getting it improved a little for everyone.
    5 months ago the company decided to increase the size of the team and i was offered promotion, i rejected it and renegotiated my hourly rate and also my bonus structure as i had been the top performer for 21 weeks straight , the lady I'm having this trouble with also renegotiated and she too got the same hourly rate but it has only just came to light that she is on about half of my bonus , she does less hours than me she pulls in smaller figures than me and when she negotiated her new bonus structure she was very happy as it was an increase.
    All the trouble started on Wednesday i was on the end desk phone calling another department to help a customer on my break. John is new to the team and still on probation we got our wage slips he was angry about how much tax he's paying and asked this Lady to check it to see if she thinks it's right well first thing she did was mock him because she earns 20% more than him for the hourly rate , that just made things worse for him and he then picked up my slip and had a look without permission. This is when the shit hit the fan as she looked at it also and hit the roof at how much i get per case compared to her ( if i hit target every week and then break 40 per month i get £120 per case , she negotiated for £50 a case for weekly target and £70 for the monthly 40 in the 5 months she has never hit 40 )
    She is now going crazy , claiming sexism and bias against women in the workplace , it was a female that agreed all our structures with us.
    In the last 40 weeks i have out performed her on 38 of them and for 21 straight i have been the top performer in the team but she says i deserve the same as everyone else , so everyone got their pay slips out and out of the 16 in the team 11 men 5 women 9 of the men had higher bonus structures than all of the women , the other 2 are on probation and on the base level , from the 5 ladies 3 are still on the base level and didn't try for a higher rate , 2 did and are quite a bit lower than the top males and non of them hit bonus every week anyway.
    She claims she can't put the same hours in because she is a single mother , she has a 18 year old son that's at college for gods sake. This has really caused a lot of trouble for our team morale and we had to have a meeting with the director on Friday and we may be getting a new bonus structure because of this which will lose everyone income.
    Sorry this is turning out to be pretty long, I'll close with this she negotiated what she thought her work and expertise was worth i negotiated what i think I'm worth , she works 35 hours per week i work close to 60 to enable me to hit all the targets and get the higher structure, i have 2 kids at home i make the time and sacrifice a lot , she does nothing , 10 smoke breaks a day , sites at her desk reading magazines and then complains men have it easier and then spouts her pathetic feminist agenda bullshit that the games rigged against women.

I believe in equal pay for men and woman , and we get that our base hourly rate is equal , i negotiated harder and held out for more and if she did that and earned more than me i would not be crying but she pulls the feminist card out her ass calls me a chauvinist for not giving a shit about how little she makes compared to 9 of the men in the team.

If my bonus structure is altered because of her i will be sacking her in my first week when i take the team managers position.

Has anyone else encountered this is life ?

Thanks for reading if my wall of text if you did.

10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum
    there is no fucking way i'm reading that bullshit.

10+ Year Old Account
    How hard is it to get your boss to explain the situation to her?

This is sadly what things have degenerated to, some people just think that because they are 'disadvantaged' by being a certain gender/religion/ethnic group, they automatically deserve to make more than other people or have some special privilege, and anything contrary is 'discrimination'.

Deleted
    I don't think many will but still it's not bullshit it's quite pertinent to my life and trust me i left a lot out haha

Deleted
    Seems like you should have told her to take it up with the boss. I went through similar bollocks when I moved to a different job within the company, after forking out for the training myself.

10+ Year Old Account
    Get on your main.

Infracted
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2016-07-31 at 11:03 PM.

If you don't work the same, you shouldn't get paid the same. Easy as that.

Deleted
    Well we've spoken to the team manager and he didn't know what we were all on individually he said he job is our weekly target and he has nothing to do with our pay we have now had a further meeting with the MD who is a woman, and the jist was that things might be getting reviewed. After that meeting things got worse between a few members in the team.
    All i did was chance my luck 5 months ago, showed my previous stats for the company , gave them assurances and promises about what i would contribute to the team and I've held that up and more. This lady has been in practically the same job for 8 years and takes her job for granted and just skates by making bonus 2 or 3 weeks a month.
    I said one kinda sexist thing to her and she went ballistic, i said It's a proven fact woman lack the negotiating skills of men and that's why they earn less on average/ I have no idea if it's true or not and it's probably not but i was just at the point angry and thought that would get her going which it did.
    Monday will be fun.

So, why should your bonus be more than double of hers anyway? You work enough to get the bonus all the time you say? Then you'd already get more than she does, if your bonus was equal to hers, if she doesn't work enough to get it all the time. Why does hers have to be below half in the times she works enough to get it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Deleted
    I can't take OP Seriously with that Post count.

Also, that's some seriously bad concealed sexism you got going there.

10+ Year Old Account
    I want to remind everyone that we have rules against spammish/non-constructive posting. If you think someone is evading a ban or spamming, report it. Do not post in the thread to challenge their identity, tell them that you're not reading their "bullshit", or call them a troll. Let us deal with it and move on.

I'm not afraid of Darsithis.

Sorry but everyone in this story is a moron.

Firstly you do not xonpare wages with colleagues that is between you and your managers.

Secondly why did you leave yours lying around willy nilly.

Thirdly it is 2016 why the fuck do you still have physical payslips?

Lastly you need to stop been sexist, that doesn't help anything.

There is a reason wages are not discussed with colleagues.
    Why join the navy when you can be a pirate

Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    So, why should your bonus be more than double of hers anyway? You work enough to get the bonus all the time you say? Then you'd already get more than she does, if your bonus was equal to hers, if she doesn't work enough to get it all the time. Why does hers have to be below half in the times she works enough to get it?
    because he had a meeting with his superiors to negotiate this deal.

I get paid just under what my manager makes. several thousand more than my team (majority women.) and I'm not saying I do work harder. I'm just smarter and negotiated myself a better deal.. that is not sexism, my boss, and bosses boss are female. I put forward what i think I'm worth, they agreed. everyone could do that.
    "There are no substitutes for violence of action and volume of fire. Move forward and shoot, always forward and shooting. The enemy will choose to fight and die or live and run either way move forward and shoot and he will fear you absolutely."
    - Otto Skoernzy

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by areasonableman View Post
    ( if i hit target every week and then break 40 per month i get £120 per case , she negotiated for £50 a case for weekly target and £70 for the monthly 40 in the 5 months she has never hit 40 )
    per case in 120 times 40?
    I can understand it being weird that the bonuses are different when the targets are the same. I could understand you having a bigger bonus when you reach a higher targets.

The only reason I could understand one having bigger bonuses for the same target is because that person has more work experience and so his cases are more reliable, are better processed, better customer care etc all elements that make the cases he gets more profitable for the company by having the cases stay longer with the company or cost less money to maintain.

Their is also the element of just standard pay increase because of workexperience even when it matters little.

Income difference has nothing to do with sexism and the way you described the woman she is an entitled princess that just abuses feminism.
    You got offered a promotation several times and perform very well so you had a strong potition to negiotiate, it's part of supply and demand of the economic system. Love it or hate i guess.

I am however for more clarity in income.....i've never found it a huge problem to share what i make to collegues. I later noticed that i'm not that great at negotiating for higher wage, so it's would be an advantage for me. If the company can't explain why another person earns more than they're probably exploiting you.
    People just need to not be kids and if they got any grievances with the pay blame the company not your collegues.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Unfortunately it is just how it is these days. You work hard and get rewarded for it, only to have some random harpy yell "MUH SEXISMS!!" and get herself brought up to the same pay for doing nothing or get yourself brought down.

Modern Feminism and female entitlement is cancer, but unfortunately due to society being full of weak willed people, it is a cancer that is allowed to spread.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBeardedOne View Post
    Sorry but everyone in this story is a moron.

Firstly you do not xonpare wages with colleagues that is between you and your managers.

Secondly why did you leave yours lying around willy nilly.

Thirdly it is 2016 why the fuck do you still have physical payslips?

Lastly you need to stop been sexist, that doesn't help anything.

There is a reason wages are not discussed with colleagues.
    I talk about my wage with my colleagues, if I was getting screwed over I'd want to know about it and vice versa.

Let it go lad. That's the best advice I can give you. Courage of the old days meant fighting for your land or your family. These days it means letting your pride take a beating when a daft old bat tries to take more than she's owed. The thing is, fighting will just make you look bad. Plenty of people in the world don't make the money you make.

Quote Originally Posted by areasonableman View Post
    [...]
    So first... I'm glad German companies have this clause that your wages are secret and you have an obligation to keep it that way. People rarely compare wages to avoid the bullshit you've just described. Second, I'm with you until the point where I think you're actually mad because of how much you earn compared to someone else. I mean you are quite happy with the wages as they are, but the important bit of it seems for you seems to be that you also earn more than her.

That's the fucked up part of your post. Anything else I agree with, including that she doesn't deserve to get as much as you do. But that doesn't change that you apparently feel the need to having to compare yourself to her, and that's not your job. Right now you're the top earner in that team, which is good. But with your attitude, should you someday not be the top earner, I'd cut your paycheck accordingly. Because that's the only way you apparently think, in competition and rewards.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.