Poll: Should we wipe mosquitoes off the face of the Earth?

Page 1 of 8
... LastLast
    Deleted

Should we wipe mosquitoes off the face of the Earth?

Source: https://www.theguardian.com/global/2...e-of-the-earth

We have the technology...

In the entire animal kingdom, the mosquito occupies a special place as receptacle for our hatred and disgust. Even the great and generous EO Wilson, author of the touchstone argument for preserving biodiversity, The Creation: An Appeal to Save Life on Earth, makes an exception for anopheles gambiae, which spreads malaria in Africa. “Keep their DNA for future research,” he writes, “and let them go.”

When Wilson thus hardens his heart, he speaks for us all. Where we revere and anthropomorphise such brutal predators as sharks, tigers and bears, we view these tiny ectoparasites as worthless, an evolutionary accident with no redeeming or adorable characteristics. No one ever had a cuddly mosquito. Thanks to malaria, they have probably helped to kill more than half of all humans ever to have lived. Today, according to the Gates foundation, the diseases they carry kill about 725,000 people a year, 600,000 of them victims of malaria. They are, as such, the only creature responsible for the deaths of more humans than humans themselves; we only manage to kill about 475,000 a year. This deadly work is carried out all over the planet: mosquitoes are found on every continent except Antarctica. And now there is Zika, which can lead to microcephaly and its associated physical deformities in unborn children, and for which there is no vaccine. This new horror has prompted fresh attention to the vexed question of how to defeat them. And that consideration leads to an unsentimental thought that we would entertain about no other creature: can’t we wipe them off the face of the Earth?
    In reality, as Lindsay and Ranson are quick to point out, the total extinction of all mosquito species would be as senseless as it would be impossible. Of the 3,000 varieties on the planet, only 200 or so bite us; only Aedes aegypti, and perhaps the more common Culex quinquefasciatus, are thought to carry Zika. Besides, as Jules Pretty, professor of environment and society at the University of Essex, points out: “In lots of environments, especially the Arctic north, where their abundance is utterly dispiriting, they are a vital source of food for animals higher up the food chain.” A total mosquito apocalypse would be a catastrophe.

But what about a narrower specicide, wiping out Aedes aegypti, and dealing a devastating blow to Zika, dengue fever and chikungunya alike? Well, that might be much more desirable – and much more achievable. “We’ve got really good new weapons,” says Dr Jo Lines, reader of malaria control and vector biology at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine. “There are extinction options. It wouldn’t be easy, but we shouldn’t forget about it.”

For Lines, there is a more pressing case for the eradication of aegypti, as a carrier of dengue fever, than any other species of mosquito. “There is no visible end to this except a war against aegypti,” he says. “Otherwise this is going to go on for a thousand years.” He points out that because aegypti are thoroughly adapted to a man-made environment, unlike the anopheles variety that carry malaria, they will only become more prevalent as the human population and its accompanying urban sprawl grow. “The other things we’ll build out. West Nile, malaria … but this is not going to fade away. These things are like rats and pigeons. We give them their home and food.”

Aren't they necessary for our ecosystem? I can't imagine that wiping out mosquitos would have any sort of positive effect...if I'm wrong then I'm totally down for exterminating the shit out of them.

Brewmaster
    7+ Year Old Account
    Yes! Tired of getting bit by those little shits.

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Aren't they necessary for our ecosystem?
    No, they aren't.

I can't imagine that wiping out mosquitos would have any sort of positive effect...
    You mean, aside from preventing untold millions of premature human deaths.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Any critter that survives by sucking human blood doesn't really fill an ecological niche.

They can go the way of the dodo and humanity would be better off.

As harsh as it may sound, I'm against wiping out entire species of animals for the sake of ONE species that is already destroying the planet.

Someone call Pleakley.

Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    As harsh as it may sound, I'm against wiping out entire species of animals for the sake of ONE species that is already destroying the planet.
    Sounds like a combination of both a misunderstanding of the purpose of natural selection and a self-righteous zeal for so called climate change as if we are approaching some sort of doomsday.
    “Humanism means that the man is the measure of all things...But it is not only that man must start from himself in the area of knowledge and learning, but any value system must come arbitrarily from man himself by arbitrary choice.” - Francis A. Schaeffer

Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    My position is that anyone who thinks humans are a net negative should address that problem by starting with themselves.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Remember too, only female mosquitoes bite, males feed on nectar of flowers. Making them a very important pollination source. Wiping them out would cause a huge amount of environmental issues.

*snippy snip*

Make it so!

Infracted - minor spam
    Last edited by Crissi; 2016-08-01 at 12:13 AM.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Also, http://www.mosquitoreviews.com/mosqu...ecosystem.html

It's not as easy as pressing a button. Thankfully, smarter people than MMO-C posters, are the one making decisions and checking the facts before taking action.
    Last edited by Queen of Hamsters; 2016-07-31 at 11:36 PM.

As long as we can bundle in Ticks with this extermination, I'm down.
    Disarm now correctly removes the targets’ arms.

We are killing everything else on the planet so why not add the mossy to that list.

Quote Originally Posted by Pickynerd View Post
    As long as we can bundle in Ticks with this extermination, I'm down.
    Anything that sucks human blood...Ticks, fleas, bed bugs (or as referred to as the monster under the bed...and in the bed...and all over), skeeters...

Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    No, they aren't.
    Of course they are, if they were wiped out do you know how many species of mosquito-borne virus would become endangered?

Also they're an important factor in curbing the growth of species such as homo sapiens, who if left to breed unchecked might threaten countless other species.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_overpopulation
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    No. They're a foodstuff for tons of other species.
    Eliminating them would have wide reaching consequences
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaerys View Post
    Gaze upon the field in which I grow my fucks, and see that it is barren.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Wipe them out before they evolve.

Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    My position is that anyone who thinks humans are a net negative should address that problem by starting with themselves.
    So basically, telling me to kill myself because I'm not for the extinction of entire species of creatures? That's a bit harsh, and a funny way of being a humanitarian I must say...

Quote Originally Posted by WskyDK View Post
    No. They're a foodstuff for tons of other species.
    Eliminating them would have wide reaching consequences
    Okay so just Ticks, I'm cool with that.
    Disarm now correctly removes the targets’ arms.

While killing mosquitoes might be desirable, killing only mosquitoes and not vital species for pollenization (like bees) is going to be hard.

One cheap, efficient and proven approach however is to avoid stagnant water pools.
    Last edited by sarahtasher; 2016-07-31 at 11:46 PM.