Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Shon237 View Post
    Can't we see as evidence the North Carolina and other states voting right laws. I mean the Fed court said that it targeted black people. Now you could plainly state something that "Republicans are racist" or more kindly look at Republicans and think; "Why would I vote for a party trying to suppress my vote?"

North Carolina voter ID law is struck down as racially discriminatory

http://www.economist.com/blogs/democ...16/08/its-duck
    You make an excellent argument for voting for Jill Stein if you are a progressive liberal democrat who supported Bernie Sanders.
    Most people would rather die than think, and most people do. -Bertrand Russell
    Before the camps, I regarded the existence of nationality as something that shouldn’t be noticed - nationality did not really exist, only humanity. But in the camps one learns: if you belong to a successful nation you are protected and you survive. If you are part of universal humanity - too bad for you -Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

10+ Year Old Account
    "Why would I vote for a party trying to suppress my vote?"
    Beyond that I don't know how anyone could vote for a party who attempts to suppress the votes of any US citizens.

It's disgusting.
    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Why don't we admit that the Dems had more or less all the racist prior to 1964 (cough southern Dems). Now since the south votes Republican. They have cornered the racism market.
    This implies all white people in the South today are as racist as the were in the 60s which is absolutely false. The Klan is all but dead in the south the truth of it is people stopped caring about every color but green. In the 60s and 70s Democrat policies hurt America and the Republicans got tied to Nixxon's shit .

Regain came along in the 80s he was an outsider and spoke for unity, economic stability and growth and because he delivered the South and Midwest which had been swing states became the bastion they are today. From then on conservatism was the creed of the Republicans until the neocons took over. Sure they preached what Regan did but their actions were completely the opposite.

Now we are facing another change in the Republican party people are tired of being promised conservatism and then the Republicans spending shit tons of money. Now its all about isolationism and populism.

Quote Originally Posted by pts99 View Post
    So saying that the democrats don't care about black lives is bullshit. They just don't care about your race, period. Because in their eyes everyone is cattle, and nobody gives a fuck if you are black, white, yellow or any of the other races.
    I had to make an edit there for you.
    Before the camps, I regarded the existence of nationality as something that shouldn’t be noticed - nationality did not really exist, only humanity. But in the camps one learns: if you belong to a successful nation you are protected and you survive. If you are part of universal humanity - too bad for you -Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Venant View Post
    Wait, we are talking about the record
    The Republican record is worse and they actively seek out bigots for the votes they can't outright steal.
    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

10+ Year Old Account
    I didn't say it caused laziness, it creates a situation in which people seem to become trapped in government assistance.
    When you have a minimum wage that has stagnated for way too long and a global economy that's still feeling the effects of a recession it's very hard to get off of that assistance. And if they are unable to support themselves without that assistance why should they come off of it? Many Americans have this ridiculous idea that they shouldn't support other Americans who can't support themselves.

Furthermore, Europe is an excellent example to look at, just look at how there are now millions of economic migrants attempting to get to the welfare capitols of the EU.
    All the more proof that their economy is (was?) better equipped to support people in need.

Quote Originally Posted by Espe View Post
    Beyond that I don't know how anyone could vote for a party who attempts to suppress the votes of any US citizens.

It's disgusting.
    Which is why you should support Jill Stein

10+ Year Old Account
    Which is why you should support Jill Stein
    Or just not vote Republican, of course.

Wait, we are talking about the record of the Democrats here, why do you keep going back to the Republicans. We are talking about what the Democrats can do in places where they have complete political control, yet are economic disasters. Talking about Republicans doesn't help whats happening in Chicago or Baltimore or Detroit.
    Chicago is not an economic disaster. People always point to a few cities. In Baltimore, the manufacturing and shipping industry all left. In Detroit it was auto industry. Chicago is relegated to the south side. Many cities such as Seattle, San Fran and Minneapolis are great.

I could ask why are the poorest states Republican?

10+ Year Old Account
    Wait, we are talking about the record of the Democrats here, why do you keep going back to the Republicans. We are talking about what the Democrats can do in places where they have complete political control, yet are economic disasters. Talking about Republicans doesn't help whats happening in Chicago or Baltimore or Detroit.
    Alright, tell us what have Democrats done that has caused the cities to be "economic disasters?"

Nothing says caring like making a large portion of a minority dependent upon you for their basic sustenance. All they ask in return is your vote.

Quote Originally Posted by Templar 331 View Post
    And here is the crux of the problem. As you have pointed out, Republicans have had majority control several times and yet we still have problems with poverty. Why? Is it only the Democrats that are at war with poverty? Why haven't the Republicans done something besides trying to paint the image of people on welfare as to "lazy to work."
    Do you realize how bad the Dems would scream if Republicans tried to go it alone on welfare reform?

10+ Year Old Account
    Ahhh beat me to it

Quote Originally Posted by Ironhorn View Post
    This implies all white people in the South today are as racist as the were in the 60s which is absolutely false. The Klan is all but dead in the south the truth of it is people stopped caring about every color but green. In the 60s and 70s Democrat policies hurt America and the Republicans got tied to Nixxon's shit .

Regain came along in the 80s he was an outsider and spoke for unity, economic stability and growth and because he delivered the South and Midwest which had been swing states became the bastion they are today. From then on conservatism was the creed of the Republicans until the neocons took over. Sure they preached what Regan did but their actions were completely the opposite.

Now we are facing another change in the Republican party people are tired of being promised conservatism and then the Republicans spending shit tons of money. Now its all about isolationism and populism.
    Of course not. We have people in here who's history only seems to go up to the 1960's. They carry that history up into present day.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    Nothing says caring like making a large portion of a minority dependent upon you for their basic sustenance. All they ask in return is your vote.
    Thank the Republicans and their trickle-down economics for that. The Democrats have just been trying to pick up the pieces caused by conservative greed for decades now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Do you realize how bad the Dems would scream if Republicans tried to go it alone on welfare reform?
    Can you imagine what kind of cuts to the program would occur if they did?

Chicago is not an economic disaster. People always point to a few cities. In Baltimore, the manufacturing and shipping industry all left. In Detroit it was auto industry. Chicago is relegated to the south side. Many cities such as Seattle, San Fran and Minneapolis are great.

Because until very recently they were Democrat states or swing states. Also the South has never really recovered from the Civil War.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Templar 331 View Post
    Can you imagine what kind of cuts to the program would occur if they did?
    Some Republicans have even been openly discussing cuts to medicare lately, I think they realized the elderly are dying off and they don't need their votes anymore.

It's telling to see them being used and dropped like that, but what did they honestly expect?

10+ Year Old Account
    Is there a TLDR?

10+ Year Old Account
    Because until very recently
    Oh I see the problem now, you're living in some sort of reality that's like the one the rest of us are in but slightly different in many ways.

Some sort of alternative reality some might say.

AU USA