Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gersemi View Post
    Yes, and the Inuit have a much higher risk for cardiovascular/heart disease and stroke because of their diet. Meanwhile, the Masai, due to their high fat intake from milk, usually have fibrosis or atherosclerosis.

Are you just finding out that eating that much meat is bad for your arteries?
    Yes, and on the other end of the spectrum diets which are low in fat and primarily vegetarian have a higher risk for neurological problems and demyelination. It seems that the conventional wisdom of a 'balanced diet' that isn't high in sugar and refined carbohydrates continues to hold water.

Heart disease is the #1 cause of death in America... you don't think that meat (especially processed meat like cold cuts) is not part of the problem?

Truth is, the way we produce meat right now is not sustainable. We will eventually have to reduce our meat intake, and I wouldn't be surprised in let's say, 50 years, we drastically reduce our meat intake and commercial meat might even be banned. They will probably look back and think how ridiculous it was that we ate so much meat and how fucked up the meat industry is. It's just culturally accepted right now so no one gives a fuck about it. Remember how slavery was "normal" and no one bat an eye back then? Similar phenomenon with how the meat industry treats animals right now.

There's no reason not to go vegan other than "muh bacon" or "I like the taste of it". Those are pretty much the only valid reasons I can think of.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19562864

You simply don't require animal products to be healthy at any stage of life or to perform as an athlete. Yes, that even includes those who lift weights like I do and want higher protein, vegan diets work just fine. There are plenty of jacked vegans out there. In fact, vegans are healthier on average, and meat is associated with heart disease and classified as a carcinogen by WHO. It's just the diet that makes the most sense, it's just a matter of time before it becomes mainstream.

Quote Originally Posted by Tsugunai View Post
    It's from a video game so take it as you will, but I just played a game that made a point of how people (or specifically, Americans) eat so much meat every day that demands became too much to handle. This leads to unethical research on mass producing cattle that leads to, you guessed it, a zombie outbreak. In fact, one character lampshades the amount of meat we eat and our insatiable need for it makes us not so different from zombies.

But in reality, I sometimes hear about problems with maintaining livestock for our world's demands and wonder about it time to time but never thought of how big of a deal it is. Also, I hear reading too much into this leads to some really horrible things you may regret delving into so I'm just scrapting at the surface.
    You should probably not take social commentary cues from video games.

"Are turtles with spiked shells a growing concern?"
    Beta Club Brosquad

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by djar View Post
    There's no reason not to go vegan other than "muh bacon" or "I like the taste of it". Those are pretty much the only valid reasons I can think of.
    Not wanting to be a pretentious and prosyletic dickhead in the vein of most vegans is also a valid reason.

Moreover, the study you linked assesses vegetarianism which is -still- reliant on animal products, particularly dairy.

Quote Originally Posted by djar View Post
    Heart disease is the #1 cause of death in America... you don't think that meat (especially processed meat like cold cuts) is not part of the problem?

Truth is, the way we produce meat right now is not sustainable. We will eventually have to reduce our meat intake, and I wouldn't be surprised in let's say, 50 years, we drastically reduce our meat intake and meat might even be banned. They will probably look back and think how ridiculous it was that we ate so much meat and how fucked up the meat industry is. It's just culturally accepted right now so no one gives a fuck about it. Remember how slavery was "normal" and no one bat an eye back then? Similar phenomenon with how the meat industry treats animals right now.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19562864

You simply don't require animal products to be healthy at any stage of life or to perform as an athlete. Yes, that even includes those who lift weights like I do and want higher protein, vegan diets work just fine. There are plenty of jacked vegans out there. In fact, vegans are healthier on average, and meat is associated with heart disease and classified as a carcinogen by WHO. It's just the diet that makes the most sense, it's just a matter of time before it becomes mainstream.
    I think I'd rather die of heart disease than never eat meat again. Realistically meat in moderation isn't going to kill anyone. Do what you want, just don't expect me to not eat steak because you want to be vegan.
    Beta Club Brosquad

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post

Nor should you pretend it's one sided in terms of ethics either. The snobby vegan shits that consume metric tonnes of soy don't seem to understand the fact that the demand they create has led to huge sections of forest being cleared for soy production.

[
    I'm not vegan, I eat fish that I fish myself, and I grow my own vegetables.
    I'm just saying, if people cut down on meat, and ate more legumes instead, it would be better for everyone.
    It's about thinking longer than your fork can reach.

I can't stand soy, it's basically horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Tozza View Post
    I'm not vegan, I eat fish that I fish myself, and I grow my own vegetables.
    I'm just saying, if people cut down on meat, and ate more legumes instead, it would be better for everyone.
    It's about thinking longer than your fork can reach.

I can't stand soy, it's basically horrible.
    Saying people should eat less meat and more legumes and vegetables is a fine point. Expecting everyone to become vegan is very silly.
    Beta Club Brosquad

Only if you're silly enough to assume that a country's food consumption is based on its domestic production of food.
    This has nothing to do with population density. The US has the arable land to be able to be self-sufficient. It's just cheaper not to be.

Yes, and on the other end of the spectrum diets which are low in fat and primarily vegetarian have a higher risk for neurological problems and demyelination. It seems that the conventional wisdom of a 'balanced diet' that isn't high in sugar and refined carbohydrates continues to hold water.
    If you don't have enough fat (or any other nutrient) on a vegetarian/vegan diet, you're doing it wrong. Lots of people tend to go vegetarian and vegan and don't even think about eating the right foods. Like gurl, you can't just eat a piece of fruit for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathquoi View Post
    Saying people should eat less meat and more legumes and vegetables is a fine point. Expecting everyone to become vegan is very silly.
    Why do you even mention vegans?
    Vegans are extremists, just like meatmunchers.

Deleted
    Depends on the person.

Don't understand why you'd ask such a unfounded question, when you could google it and discuss based on actual data.

10+ Year Old Account
    As are the people who overly criticise livestock and modern agriculture.

Deleted
    Because they are the ones who hold the delusional projected idea of being superior on no other basis than their own biased views.

I make more money than someone else, i am better than them. See how that works?

That's called being a fucking dick.

Quote Originally Posted by PvPHeroLulz View Post
    Because they are the ones who hold the delusional projected idea of being superior on no other basis than their own biased views.

I make more money than someone else, i am better than them. See how that works?

That's called being a fucking dick.
    Yes, I agree. But what does that have to do with me?

Deleted
    Yes, I agree. But what does that have to do with me?
    Nothing; You asked why he mentions Vegans.

Because there are people in this thread saying that there is no reason not to be vegan. I'm not saying you are one of them.
    Beta Club Brosquad

Its a problem. Thats why the are doing Test Tube meat and like another poster said, it will be the future. Presumably, test tube meat will have all of the positives with none of the negatives. Last report I read about it is that it is in the 'taste test' phase and is doing well.

Quote Originally Posted by Gersemi View Post
    If you don't have enough fat (or any other nutrient) on a vegetarian/vegan diet, you're doing it wrong. Lots of people tend to go vegetarian and vegan and don't even think about eating the right foods. Like gurl, you can't just eat a piece of fruit for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
    Or I could just continue on eating a balanced diet of vegetables with lean meats like chicken and fish and the occasional serving of red meat and not have to worry about eating "the right kinds" of vegetables.
    Beta Club Brosquad

10+ Year Old Account
    Because there are people in this thread saying that there is no reason not to be vegan. I'm not saying you are one of them.
    In general, the people saying 'fire is bad, meat is scary, and Robert Blakewell was a witch' need to chill.

There is an argument to be made for more sustainable and ethical farming practices. But 'we need to eliminate livestock farming', or worse, 'hurr, veganism' is just silly.

- - - Updated - - -

Or I could just continue on eating a balanced diet of vegetables with lean meats like chicken and fish and the occasional serving of red meat and not have to worry about eating "the right kinds" of vegetables.
    Why on earth would I have mainly lean meats?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Xirrohon View Post
    Its a problem. Thats why the are doing Test Tube meat and like another poster said, it will be the future. Presumably, test tube meat will have all of the positives with none of the negatives. Last report I read about it is that it is in the 'taste test' phase and is doing well.
    It will taste like crap, again. For the foreseeable future.

Quote Originally Posted by Xirrohon View Post
    Last time I read about it, they had cloned the muscle tissue but none of the fat so while they succeeded in growing a meat patty, it left much to be desired in taste (so a few years ago) so that's good to hear.