Thread: No Man's Sky

Quote Originally Posted by grandpab View Post
    Damn, people are taking some of this shit way too seriously and way way too far. I'll never be able to begin to understand how these toxic people think.
    I think I should prob clarify lol

That wasn't pointed at anyone here. I was on reddit earlier and saw one of the mods stepping down because of death threats.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Svinoi Banana View Post
    I kept eye on reviews for Starbound, hoping it'd turn out well.
    I guess Terraria has years head start so far more stuff that has been added.
    Shall have to watch the footage if TB & Cox do play it, as they're deciding between them both
    Reviews for Starbound right now are at "Very Positive." Seems it's doing pretty well.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

HA! Starbound wishes it could be Terraria

I do hope they add something more like building homes etc, but I guess when travelling, would need a HS or similar.
    pretty easy solution would be for our ships to be our homes.

maybe in dlc they can let us customize the enterior of our ships. maybe give us bigger house sized ships and we can put in decorations and stuff.

would be a great thing to add in an expansion too if they decide to take a more story driven approach. have us come accross straight up civs and like planets with cities and stuff so we go around living instead of surviving
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

This video sums up everything that happened in the last week.

15+ Year Old Account
    So what's the word on all this leak stuff?

People are complaining that you can reach the center of the universe in 20 hrs played and they're disappointed it doesn't take months... but the game was always about exploration.

People are bitch in about the UI and gameplay, but I personally haven't seen anything game breaking.

So why should or shouldn't I buy this game, when I already like the premise?

- - - Updated - - -

I kept eye on reviews for Starbound, hoping it'd turn out well.
    I guess Terraria has years head start so far more stuff that has been added.
    Shall have to watch the footage if TB & Cox do play it, as they're deciding between them both
    Starbound is 15 bucks. Get it and immediately get the frackin universe mod and any of the other top rated mods you think look appealing. You'll thank me later.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
    So what's the word on all this leak stuff?

People are complaining that you can reach the center of the universe in 20 hrs played and they're disappointed it doesn't take months... but the game was always about exploration.

People are bitch in about the UI and gameplay, but I personally haven't seen anything game breaking.

So why should or shouldn't I buy this game, when I already like the premise?

- - - Updated - - -

Starbound is 15 bucks. Get it and immediately get the frackin universe mod and any of the other top rated mods you think look appealing. You'll thank me later.
    im willing to bet theres some sort of center at the center. we all share the same universe, so, that means at some point there wont be anymore galaxies. whats at the end of the last one?
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    im willing to bet theres some sort of center at the center. we all share the same universe, so, that means at some point there wont be anymore galaxies. whats at the end of the last one?
    Maybe its a black hole that takes you to a new universe but in "hard mode".

Dude who bought the leaked copy made a video review.

TL : DW from Reddit:-
    -There needs to be HUGE game balancing updates because it is very easy to get to the center
    -Its an exploration game first and foremost, won't meet crazy levels of hype and the game is as advertised
    -He likes the game and is still playing even after getting to the center and getting platinum.
    Last edited by Demoncrash; 2016-08-02 at 02:50 PM.

yeah but the center isnt the end though. you go to a whole new galaxy with newer and weirder shit each time. getting to the center isnt beating the game its just taking you to the next part. you cant even go back to the old galaxy after leaving. its just straight up next area.

- - - Updated - - -

if each galaxy is give or take 10 hours MINIMUM speedrunning super fast all exploits all supa duper fast. and theres like 100 galaxys.

thats a sbit ton of hours, and we dont even know how many galaxies there are

Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post
    I think people are upset that its not Terraria/Starbound in 3D. And honestly, if the game sells well and is popular, the devs could make it like that over the next few years.

I still want to play the hell out of this game.
    Starbound 3D is what I want. I know it's not what I'm going to get, but I also know that I'm still going to enjoy the game.
    "You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist."
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    Reviews for Starbound right now are at "Very Positive." Seems it's doing pretty well.
    Only checked the reviews on GOG & they aren't good, although they are in dev reviews.
    Just checked, steam reviews are hit & miss too.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Shall check it out, thanks. If I don't like it, I'll set the Moon Lord onto you

15+ Year Old Account
    https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTh...at_the_leaked/

I felt that was worth mentioning here given how much discussion has happened over the early copy of the game. There is a theory that they copy the guy bought for more then $1,000 is a developer copy or a demo copy and not the release version of the game. While much of the game should remain the same there could be different mechanics in an actual release version. Of course it does seem like of conspiracy theories but we will never know. I still remember how Diablo 2 had a day 1 patch because it wouldn't work on some computers. Mine was one of those lol.
    Last edited by rhorle; 2016-08-02 at 07:39 PM.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTh...at_the_leaked/

I felt that was worth mentioning here given how much discussion has happened over the early copy of the game. There is a theory that they copy the guy bought for more then $1,000 is a developer copy or a demo copy and not the release version of the game. While much of the game should remain the same there could be different mechanics in an actual release version. Of course it does seem like of conspiracy theories but we will never know. I still remember how Diablo 2 had a day 1 patch because it wouldn't work on some computers. Mine was one of those lol.
    Yeah... I doubt that tbh.
    A small team of 20 people and you think someone sold a dev copy?
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    Yeah... I doubt that tbh. A small team of 20 people and you think someone sold a dev copy?
    It is possible that someone could have got ahold of a non-release version of the game. There are also other leaked copies that have shown things working differently. Someone apparently bought a copy at Walmart in Ohio but that sounds like a fake story given how registers won't sell embargoed products. Of course it could have been in the system wrong or they bought without using the register.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

15+ Year Old Account
    Shall check it out, thanks. If I don't like it, I'll set the Moon Lord onto you
    Moon lords aren't scary with (SPOILER TAG: how to enable god mode, do not click if you do not want to be tempted by god mode)

/admin

But yes, mods make the game a lot more fun and give it a whole lot more content. Frackin universe adds a ton of new resources and metal to fiddle around with and tons of new weapons and armor to craft and work towards. Not to mention new quests, new planets, new biomes, new enemies, new dungeons, smarter enemies, more stuff to decorate your ship/house/base with, etc.

Playing vanilla starbound is like playing vanilla skyrim, fun and very open and explorable, but limited eventually. Playing with mods greatly expands play potential and improves quality of life.
    Last edited by Cthulhu 2020; 2016-08-02 at 08:00 PM.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Having watched some game footage.. some thoughts...

The game looks suspect to me in terms of how "real" the experience is. I'll explain what I mean.. and please shout at me if I'm wrong. When you fly towards a planet you appear to be "on rails" and sort of zooming towards it in a form of warp which blurs the screen enough to make me wonder if you're actually flying towards an actual planet that you were just observing.. or if you're effectively loading into the planet. The way you'd be able to tell if this is the case or not is can you actually spot a landmark from orbit and fly towards it and see it on the surface. I suspect not. What I'd also be curious is can you fly very slowly through the atmosphere in full control or does the game handle entry/exit from the planet and at a pre determined speed and course. If it's the later then I suspect shenanigans.

Also there has been some debate on reddit about if you really are in full control or if you're effectively limited to moving from planet to planet. For example could I set my ship on course and just fly for hours? I suppose the argument against that would be why on earth would a player want to do that.. surely the purpose of the game is exploring planets.. so it makes sense that you're somewhat on "rails" towards each planet. Plus it would take forever to just drift towards a planet. But it's still worth knowing I think. For example does this universe actually exist or are you effectively being teleported from Planet A, to Planet B, to Planet C, to Planet D and the game is simulating your experience but in actual fact you're just being loaded into new planet experiences each time. Think being dropped into 4 random Minecraft worlds with a sort of ship transport between the two which is kinda like an interacting loading screen. But the "space" you're in is just the loading lobby.. if that even makes sense. So the space between Planet A and Planet B is just a void to fill in the journey between the two.. you're not actually flying towards an actual planet in a physical universe. No Mans Loading Screen if you will.

As for the planets themselves.. they're actually less impressive than I was expecting from the trailers. In some instances it's difficult to tell if the ground is actually fully modelled or if it's flat with textures that gives the appearance of it not being flat. I mean there are hills obviously but some rocks look fake to me. But that could be stream quality issues. Again the argument there may be "Welp what do you expect we have a gazilion planets to generate.. short cuts had to be taken". That might be a fair point.

And finally as I feared the actual progression and appeal feels limited. It will feel amazing for a few hours I'm sure and that alone may be worth the price tag. But as a longer experience.. I'm not so sure. I suspect a lot of the hyped expectations are going to be let down. The popcorn moment for me is discovering if multiplayer is indeed possible or not.

I suppose after reading my own post how they've approached this game makes sense because if you really were in full control of your path in space.. it would be pointless because it would take you forever to actually fly between two planets. The space is just too big. So you say "I'd like to go here please" and the game is effectively allowing you to explore your local "lobby" of space and then when you want to progress.. you hit warp or whatever and you're zoomed towards the planet. But in reality the game is just loading you into it. So a better explanation is.

<Space Lobby. See ships, astroids etc> -> Pick planet -> Loading screen (journey to planet) -> Loaded into planet -> Explore. Repeat.

Like I said at the start I could be utterly wrong on this. I'm not a hater I promise. The game did make my jaw drop when I looked at the star map. But then I started to wonder just how real any of it was. Edit: God listen to me. It's a game. I'm being far too critical and far too anal. I hold my hands up to that.
    Last edited by Collected; 2016-08-02 at 08:11 PM.

so i saw this on my yahoo feed:

http://www.polygon.com/2016/8/1/1234...axy?yptr=yahoo

apparently the guy who got it early already reached the center of the universe lol..
    Intel i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz | Asetek 550LC 120MM Watercooler | MSI Z97 PC MATE | XFX Radeon R9 390X 8GB | ADATA 16GB DDR3-2133MHz XPG V3 |
    1TB WD Caviar Blue | 128GB Sandisk Z400S SSD | NZXT Phantom 410 | EVGA 750W SuperNova G1 80+ GOLD | External 2TB WD Elements

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kaamila View Post
    apparently the guy who got it early already reached the center of the universe lol..
    Using spoiler tags even though its not really a spoiler. Some people might not want to read/see any of this stuff prior to release.

It is galaxy, not universe. It is still unclear if their are multiple galaxies as Daymeeuhn hasn't really clarified that. They have been vague on a lot of details. However Hello Games has said 40 hours or so for the center if you focus on it. So it isn't that big of a stretch for 30 hours. Keep in mind that while a goal is to reach the center it isn't the entire focus of the game. There have also been other early copies that don't show some of the bugs Daymeeuhn encountered or easily findable atlas stones in some parts. Another person who was streaming didn't seem to show the multi-tool upgrade bug Daymeeuhn encountered. The atlas stones certainly speed up the process by a lot so if they are made to be rarer or them being common is a bug then it will slow time to center a lot. A lot of the info too of the first guy was based off of misinformation or not understanding how things work. Like ship upgrades and how you get better ships.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kaamila View Post
    Galaxy is not the universe
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

I'm getting my popcorn ready for the launch on aug 9th, whether it'll be good or bad, popcorn won't hurt.