Page 1 of 2
LastLast

"You have collected this appearance, but not from this item"

A weird question. I've got an odd thing going on.

On mouse-over, you can see if you've not unlocked an item's appearance for transmog yet yet. And only from your own armor type.

But two of my characters seem to have a different thing going on.. On mouse-over they show if I've not collected an item yet, regardless on if that class can use it. This seems useful, but it also shows me if the item I am looking at is an alternative source of an appearance I have already unlocked, using a similar looking item. So basically, when I scroll through the auction house, on some of my characters, a lot of items keep being uselessly marked with:

"You have collected this appearance, but not from this item".

I am not sure why it does this on some of my characters, and not others. And if there's some kind of toggle for it I may have accidentally pressed.

Does anyone have any sort of insights for this?

Edit:
    Just to confirm. It does this for items with the exact look and color that I have already collected, through an item with a different name, but identical appearance. It does this, even with all addons disabled. Screenshot posted a few posts below.
    Last edited by Caerule; 2016-07-28 at 02:02 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Galaxy MV4478-87, Vontos cluster, Alpha Prime
    Why its useless?
    It´s an recolor, thats from different source.
    Let´s say an Leather pants. Lots of sources (could be from quest, world drop or from dungeon). Look same but are in different colours. You have only one from couple other color variations.
    But it´s leather, so your warrior won´t see it collected, because he basically cannot transmog it.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveL View Post
    Let´s say an Leather pants. Lots of sources (could be from quest, world drop or from dungeon). Look same but are in different colours. You have only one from couple other color variations.
    Recolors are distinct different appearances.

Anyway @Caerule: the game itself does not have such functionality, did you install any mog related addons that would add this?

Herald of the Titans Dristereau's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Not heard of this in game by default, and I'm currently going through my Armada of Greens in my Banks on all my Alts. I guess it could be useful for things like Tier and Raid gear primarily, so you can unlock recolours to use on other classes (i.e. Appearances for Mythic T17 Warrior set using offset pieces compared to Tier Tokens/Gear)
    Dristereau - Axxolentus - Infernus - Sequentia - Nulo - Desterrar

Silvermoon
    - Shadowsong/Aszune - Tarren-Mill/Dentarg (SL Mage Tower: 29/36
    )

Sounds like you have CanIMogIt turned on.

Quote Originally Posted by Nevcairiel View Post
    Anyway @Caerule: the game itself does not have such functionality, did you install any mog related addons that would add this?
    I figured of course, that it might be one of my addons. So I turned them all off. It's still doing it:

The exact look of these I have already collected through the Stonecrag Pauldrons. Looking for Botani-Barbed Pauldrons in the Appearance Tab, shows me the Stonecrag Pauldrons.
    Last edited by Caerule; 2016-07-28 at 01:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Motorman View Post
    Go to saved variables for your toon and delete the .lua and .lua.bak of the addon you suspect.
    That's kind of the point, I don't suspect any addon. It's doing this, with all addons disabled.

Quote Originally Posted by Caerule View Post
    I figured of course, that it might be one of my addons. So I turned them all off. It's still doing it:

The exact look of these I have already collected through the Stonecrag Pauldrons. Looking for Botani-Barbed Pauldrons in the Appearance Tab, shows me the Stonecrag Pauldrons.
    Pretty sure thats working as intended. I mean you could equip it and make it soulbound, but that the tool tip is telling you is you wont learn anything 'new'. you already have that model and color combination.

http://www.wowhead.com/item=106725/s...#same-model-as

Now if you can find an item that has the same model but not color showing the tool tip thats a different story.

My game has this text as well. I don't think it's an addon (I have never had canimogit). I agree it seems kind of useless.
    Other addons I have that MIGHT cause it? Altaholic, Mogit, Legion Wardrobe. Have you used any of those?

Quote Originally Posted by Alyajna View Post
    My game has this text as well. I don't think it's an addon (I have never had canimogit). I agree it seems kind of useless.
    Other addons I have that MIGHT cause it? Altaholic, Mogit, Legion Wardrobe. Have you used any of those?
    I have Mogit. I suppose I can try Motorman's suggestion.

10+ Year Old Account
    "You have collected this appearance, but not from this item"> this is the only parameter you need to check if you're a collector

A lot of appearance are missing/not referenced, especially some heroic/mythic versions of items, so I'd suggest keeping them until Blizzard fix it. If you equip an item on your main armor type character, it should say "You have collected this appearance, but not from this item" = true, not false. Another problem on the patch, nothing we can do.

I've got about 12-15 banks full of greens (some blues and purples). I'm not equipping them until I can be SURE I don't have duplicate items, duplicate appearances, etc.

The wardrobe database is based on learning items, not learning appearances. Those tool tips are just letting you know that you haven't learned that particular item, even if you have learned the appearance it gives at the moment.

If you only care about learning appearances, not items, you can enter "/console missingTransmogSourceInItemTooltips 0" into the game and they will go away.

Could it be that you have a tier item and this is the non-tier with the same appearance.

For instance, let's say you're a pally and you get tier chest. However, this would only unlock for the pally. Then, the copy of the tier chest drops... and it gives you that message and you can unlock that particular pally chest tier copy for the rest of the plate wearers.

Only hypothetical situation, it might not be what you're experiencing atm.

Quote Originally Posted by Nize View Post
    Could it be that you have a tier item and this is the non-tier with the same appearance.

For instance, let's say you're a pally and you get tier chest. However, this would only unlock for the pally. Then, the copy of the tier chest drops... and it gives you that message and you can unlock that particular pally chest tier copy for the rest of the plate wearers.

Only hypothetical situation, it might not be what you're experiencing atm.

Nah, you get this even with ugly BoE greens.

I'm really confused about what you are asking.

An appearance can have multiple sources. If you go to wowhead you can browse an item and see "same model as".

What the tooltip is telling you is that you have already unlocked that appearance you are looking at but from a difference item. It will only show up if you are looking at an item you can equip because it only compares items to what you see in your wardrobe and each class see different things.

This is so that you don't have to buy BoE items that you already have unlocked the appearance from. I don't see how it would be useless?

It is useless. If you already have the look unlocked the appearance, then you don't need to know there's another item with the same look. All you need to know is if you haven't obtained the appearance yet. If you have, even from another item, why would you need any notification?

However, from what I get from Azurfel's post, this notification is normal, and me not seeing it initially, must have been the bug. So, feel free to let this thread sink away now.

Thanks for the code @Azurfel.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Caerule View Post
    It is useless. If you already have the look unlocked the appearance, then you don't need to know there's another item with the same look.
    No, it is useful. Tier gear has class restriction, but there are also lookalike items without class restriction. So when you see that message on item without class that dropped in raid, it could be classless version of item you already have, learning it would allow to mog item on different classes that share same armor type.

Quote Originally Posted by Binki View Post
    No, it is useful. Tier gear has class restriction, but there are also lookalike items without class restriction. So when you see that message on item without class that dropped in raid, it could be classless version of item you already have, learning it would allow to mog item on different classes that share same armor type.
    Well, I suppose it has a light use there. Only in the situation where a non-tier piece drops, and you've already unlocked the appearance through the tier version with the same look, may it be helpful to see this notification. In the vast majority of cases where you see this message though, it's not of use. Such as on the Auction House. Where it would be much more convenient to only see notifications for appearances you've not unlocked yet at all, rather than having to spend time reading if an item with blue notification text is completely unknown, or has been learned already through another item.

I suppose this is very subjective. I am just glad to be rid of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Binki View Post
    The tooltip's primary utility is intentionally learning redundant appearances from multiple items just in case Blizzard changes the appearance of one of those items. They have done so in the past and we have no idea how the wardrobe would react to it happening again, so that does make it useful, but in a way that only a particular sort of player is going to care about.

For the sort of player who is mostly interested in making the completion counter go up on, like, one or two characters, it's not really all that useful in practice.