Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    Probably because homosexuality has only recently been considered OK in most Western society... Besides actors aren't obligated to come out, I believe Tom Hardy (who is bi) said a lot of actors are gay or bi but feel no need addressing it towards the media
    I would suspect folks staying in the closet was more about not wanting to feel different than being ostracized. Granted I can only talk from personal experience, but I grew up with several extended family members who were obviously gay, if not openly gay (though I believe they were likely all openly gay as none of them tried to hide it). It was one of those things where everyone knew it, but no one talked about it, and there wasn't any problems.

None of the heteros announced they were having sex with the opposite sex, and none of the homos were announcing that they were having sex with the same sex. We all knew, because you can see who everyone is hanging out with and who all the significant others are, but no one felt a need to beat anyone else over the head making sure everyone knew what holes they were putting their dicks into at the end of the day.

My anecdotal story aside, we also had people in pop culture as well back in the day who were openly gay, or TV/Movie characters who were gay, and I don't recall anyone making a big deal about it.

As far as gay folks getting movie roles or what not, it goes back to what was mentioned earlier. If you can't portray the character that's being cast, you won't get the role. If you can, you'll get it.

Deleted
    This is more a society issue than a hollywood issue, it is the people that seem to avoid movies because of the sexual orientation of an actor. The industry is not obliged to fight for gay rights and they are allowed to go for the option that makes more money. Now I personally think that the producers, casters etc. should not look at sexual orientation but look at if the actor can fill the role. But then again I do not have earning reports breathing down my neck.

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    It is crazy that gay celebrities have to "come out" to tell everyone they are gays. As if being a gay was somehow wrong. I mean, let's flip the situation: an actor, after countless successful roles, shows up on a large event and says, "Guys, I have a confession to make... You know, guys... I am straight". Crazy, right?
    I think the whole idea of it is crazy. I think if you have to constantly make sure everyone knows who or what type of people you are having sex with (gay or straight), there's some bigger insecurities going on there.

To me the "closet" term should be reserved only for people of one orientation who are pretending to be the other. No homosexual should have to announce who they are having sex with and none of us should care (unless you are trying to have sex with them...I suppose it could matter in that case).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragedaug View Post
    I think the whole idea of it is crazy. I think if you have to constantly make sure everyone knows who or what type of people you are having sex with (gay or straight), there's some bigger insecurities going on there.

To me the "closet" term should be reserved only for people of one orientation who are pretending to be the other. No homosexual should have to announce who they are having sex with and none of us should care (unless you are trying to have sex with them...I suppose it could matter in that case).
    Or maybe there are deep issues in the society with regards to this. Sure, if you are homosexual, you don't need everyone to know that - but if others knowing that is an issue, and not just for you personally, but for the society in general - then we have a problem.

When we have multiple families in which kids have to hide their orientation from their parents, because their parents are religious nuts or just very conservative folks - this is not okay. What we should strive for is the society in which it doesn't matter in the slightest what your orientation is. In which a kid asked by parents why he isn't looking for a wife says, "I'm gay", and the parents are like, "Oh, okay". Not like, "Billy... We are going to have a very serious conversation right now. Sit down...". Or, even worse, "What?! Is this a freaking joke?"
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralgarog View Post
    Lets see. You are a corporation and you want to make money. You have three scripts. One script that only 5% of the total population can relate to, One script that 100% of the population can relate to, and a third one where somewhere between 5% to 100% of the population can relate to.

Why in the fuck would you not choose the one that 100% of your target audience can relate to?

People seem to forget that hollywood movies are not to tell a story, they are to make money.
    This.

I'm perfectly fine with most HBO series having gay/lesbians among their main characters, I was also completely fine with Sense8, but as a straight man I cba. watching a production centered on a LGBT relationship. Nothing to do with homophobia, more about relating to the protagonists.

Quote Originally Posted by omeomorfismo View Post
    but this isnt normal? or at least presumable?
    a lot of actors are selled as sexual fantasies, how a declared gay can succeed in this environment?
    Seeing as how it's all about what makes money, and gays are a very small percentage of the population, it doesn't make financial sense to do it. It's not about any isms, its about money in Hollywood.

- - - Updated - - -

Or maybe there are deep issues in the society with regards to this. Sure, if you are homosexual, you don't need everyone to know that - but if others knowing that is an issue, and not just for you personally, but for the society in general - then we have a problem.

When we have multiple families in which kids have to hide their orientation from their parents, because their parents are religious nuts or just very conservative folks - this is not okay. What we should strive for is the society in which it doesn't matter in the slightest what your orientation is. In which a kid asked by parents why he isn't looking for a wife says, "I'm gay", and the parents are like, "Oh, okay". Not like, "Billy... We are going to have a very serious conversation right now. Sit down...". Or, even worse, "What?! Is this a freaking joke?"
    Not your business how parents deal with their own children. What you consider right or wrong is subjective, but it truly is none of your business how someone parents their own child.

Quote Originally Posted by grinningman View Post
    mmmm, virtue signaling.
    what! Where?

10+ Year Old Account
    Admittedly, there are a lot more roles of straight people than gay in movies. Since a portion of the gay community has traits that are deemed more "feminine", I can see how it could be problematic in the industry. I don't think movies want a straight character being portrayed in a feminine fashion.

Not that I approve, though. I certainly believe gay actors can be as good as any straight actor (Ian McKellen, Zachary Quinto, Neil Patrick Harris and many more).
    Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinpachi View Post
    Not your business how parents deal with their own children. What you consider right or wrong is subjective, but it truly is none of your business how someone parents their own child.
    Well then, I hope next time a terrorist from ISIS blows something up, you will be congruent in your views and say, "Don't criticize this person, it is none of your business how someone acts".
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Quote Originally Posted by Dolus View Post
    I've worked in Hollywood for awhile. Homosexuals are protected. There are film stars that are "out" in Hollywood, but they haven't made it "official" by going to the press. Yet, their choice not to go public and their privacy are protected by power players. Matt Bomer, Gillian Anderson, Ian McKellan, Sarah Paulson, Zachary Quinto... the list is long of stars who have come out... and their careers are fine. Some actors choose not to come out because they are idolized by women and their image sells. So, it's a financial decision. If the actor comes out that fantasy is gone for women.
    Matt Bomer is gay?

My 0,000000000000000000000001% chance of hooking up with him just doubled, yay! This dude is sex on fire.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tronald Dump View Post
    Ian McKellan is Gay, he's a pretty famous actor

Edit

I see he's been mentioned.
    Oh hes gay? Never knew.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberowl View Post
    Hollywood may be fairly liberal, the industry isn't. Can't recall any big movie having a centric gay relationship.
    Brokeback Mountain.

Quote Originally Posted by Fojos View Post
    Brokeback Mountain.
    I DIDN'T KNOW, STAHP IT ALREADY! *cries in corner*

10+ Year Old Account
    Homosexual people have it easier as actors I would say, Christian's on the other hand have a difficult time especially in Hollywood.

I DIDN'T KNOW, STAHP IT ALREADY! *cries in corner*
    We also have Milk :P Of course, it's not really about a relationship. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1013753/

I give up trying to understand Hollywood. It won't be happy until it eats itself. Soon only gays and black women will be able to work there, oh and transsexuals.

Oh please, that's lazy. Every book and movie done, not a big hint anywhere, not mentioned anywhere and she goes out on some tumblr spree and claims he is on twitter.
    Yes, it was incredibly realistic.

Gay actors have less opportunities? lul.. okay.. Says the gay actor who has a main role in a DC movie. 2 of the biggest hits on TV, "How I met your mother" and "Modern family" both have gay actors. Almost all TV shows has at least 1 gay actor. He just has selective bias to make himself feel better.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, in the last decade we've seen an enormous increase in gay actors so... no, this claim is ludicrous.
    [/URL]

Well then, I hope next time a terrorist from ISIS blows something up, you will be congruent in your views and say, "Don't criticize this person, it is none of your business how someone acts".
    The logical fallacies are real. Try again.