Quote Originally Posted by Dotmore View Post
    I didn't like the Lore changes, and the movie never really interested me.
    Then why did you watch it?
    "Oh I don't really care about this movie, but let me just watch it so I can shit on it afterwards. Because I can."

Also the whole language thing was done sloppy. (Orcs and Humans both talking english.)
    ... what are you talking about? The humans AND orcs did speak their own language... and we also got to hear that through the movie. But for the audience, they heard from both perspective them speaking english because... its an english movie. The movie was made by an english company, the actors are english. It IS rather obvious, right?

I would of really liked a Arthas movie instead of the First War.
    But then how would you explain the orcs? And how they came to Azeroth in the first place? Its like saying they did the 4th Harry Potter movie first, just because it was a better story for some people?

Where did i say it was ment as a review?

But as you wish:

I didn't like the Lore changes, and the movie never really interested me.

Also the whole language thing was done sloppy. (Orcs and Humans both talking english.)

I would of really liked a Arthas movie instead of the First War.
    I mean I assume you wrote that you hated it to add to the discussion, so I just wanted to know what you didn't like about it. I can understand that people want an Arthas movie, because I would love to see that too, but I can see why they would start their story from the beginning.

The only thing that I wanted to see that was changed from a Lore perspective was the destruction of Stormwind...I think that would've been a cool way to end the movie. I at least liked the fact that both races could not understand each other...like when they meet at Blackrock Mountain, Garona has to translate, I thought they did a decent job without having to use subtitles.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTaurenOrc View Post
    Given the fact he cut 40 mins and in some scenes it really showed, that was the final nail in the coffin.
    Pretty sure Duncan had nothing to do with that decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Tornwar View Post
    But then how would you explain the orcs?
    There was no Orcs in Arthas's story.

Quote Originally Posted by Tackhisis View Post
    There was no Orcs in Arthas's story.
    If it wasn't for the Orc invasion, Paladins probably would have never been a thing.

Paladins are a pretty old D&D class, so they not necessarily need the reason to exist.

Pretty sure Duncan had nothing to do with that decision.
    I am pretty sure he did in the sense that; 1) he co-wrote the screen play 2) he was in control of the shooting and 3) when they said to cut 40 mins he selected said 40 mins in editing.

Hes certianly now absolved of all responsibility

3) when they said to cut 40 mins he selected said 40 mins in editing.
    There you go. As I said, not something Duncan decided. We have all heard he didn't wanted to do it... or rather, he wanted a DC

But then how would you explain the orcs?
    Orcs need explaining?

That was the problem with this movie. It was a story that pretty much no one gave a shit about about.

There you go. As I said, not something Duncan decided. We have all heard he didn't wanted to do it... or rather, he wanted a DC
    Because when he wrote the screen play and shot the footage the studio was promising a 3 hour run time? Only to pull the rug out from under him and cut it to 2 hours?

I don't believe that he backed himself into a corner by having so much content that needed to be cut.

Because when he wrote the screen play and shot the footage the studio was promising a 3 hour run time? Only to pull the rug out from under him and cut it to 2 hours?

I don't believe that he backed himself into a corner by having so much content that needed to be cut.
    ... what are you trying to prove here? That Duncan purposely did 3 hour recordings, but WANTED to cut 40 mins of it? Because I am pretty sure Universal/Legendary made him cut certain scenes. Or the editor did... :P

That Duncan purposely did 3 hour recordings, but WANTED to cut 40 mins of it?
    Yes? He's not a Peter f-ing Jackson to shoot 3 hour movies. He knew that new movie in franchise should be about two hours, and should have massage the script in reasonable limits.

I saw Warcraft in the theater and I thought it was a very good movie. I have now re-watched it for the first time at home and I found it just as good now. So that is awesome! Sometimes that is not always the case with a movie, take Star Wars: The Force Awakens for example. When I saw it in theaters I thought it was the greatest movie ever made. When I watched it at home I thought it was only a very good movie. It's a bit formulaic in it's structure and kind of draws a lot from nostalgia, that tends to make a movie not age as well. But Warcraft stands its grounds!

Really hope we will hear something about a sequel soon.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, it was not a Warcraft movie we were looking for. And it became a tombstone for the entire franchise.
    I assume you're using the royal "we", because most fans loved it. It is a financial success and will almost certainly have sequels.

- - - Updated - - -

The language thing was done *amazingly* well. Seamlessly switching between points of view of characters - we can understand Orcish (by hearing it as English) when the point of view character understands it, or we suddenly don't understand Common (by hearing it as Common instead of English) when the point of view character doesn't.

The scene with Garona and the Orc prisoner introduces the concept perfectly, so anyone who isn't a drooling moron should understand the convention by the time the meeting with Durotan happens. The very point of this movie is that there are two equal protagonists and factions - having Orcs be the incomprehensible Other to the *audience* would have run counter to that.

And Using English as a stand-in for a fictional or historic language is the rule, not the exception. No, the Fellowship of the Ring were not speaking English in either the book or the movie - Tolkien made a point of using English as a stand-in for Westron and Old English for Rohirric to show the familial relationship between the languages. "Hobbit" was supposedly a bastardization of the original OE "hol-bytlan", meaning "hole-builders". And in the appendices Tolkien explains that the actual Westron word is "kuduk", derived from the Rohirric "kûd-dûkan".

Likewise, Maximus Decimus Meridius would not have actually said "Are you not entertained?" but something like "Numquid non delectari?", or more likely a form of Vulgar Latin. Romeo and Juliet would have spoken a medieval Venetian dialect. Hamlet would have spoken Old Norse.
    When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these?! Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!

Quote Originally Posted by Ateup View Post
    Orcs need explaining?

That was the problem with this movie. It was a story that pretty much no one gave a shit about about.
    Erm most people thought the orcs were the most interesting part. Humans not so much.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by kojinshugi View Post
    The language thing was done *amazingly* well. Seamlessly switching between points of view of characters - we can understand Orcish (by hearing it as English) when the point of view character understands it, or we suddenly don't understand Common (by hearing it as Common instead of English) when the point of view character doesn't.

The scene with Garona and the Orc prisoner introduces the concept perfectly, so anyone who isn't a drooling moron should understand the convention by the time the meeting with Durotan happens. The very point of this movie is that there are two equal protagonists and factions - having Orcs be the incomprehensible Other to the *audience* would have run counter to that.
    I agree the language barrier was explained very cleverly. Loved the scene with Garona and the frostwolf prisoner and the exchange between Durotan and the alliance before the ambush.

Quote Originally Posted by tangocash View Post
    Erm most people thought the orcs were the most interesting part. Humans not so much.
    I'm not talking about the few fans that watched the movie. I'm talking about everyone who didn't even bother. Blizzard said; 'Our orcs are different!' And no one cared.

Quote Originally Posted by Ateup View Post
    I'm not talking about the few fans that watched the movie. I'm talking about everyone who didn't even bother. Blizzard said; 'Our orcs are different!' And no one cared.
    That's not true and I'm not talking about fans, I'm talking about most critics who know nothing about Warcraft. Most agree the orcs are the most interesting part, I read some people's reviews where they'd like to see a movie just about the ocs instead of the humans. Nonfans didn't go watch the movie(in the USA) because there was barely or very bad marketing there. Suicide Squad now has a lower rating than Warcraft and will make a lot more money and not just because of a built in fanbase, but because marketing.

Quote Originally Posted by kojinshugi View Post
    It is a financial success and will almost certainly have sequels.
    It failed to achieve its projected box office, $435M. It failed to break even by gathering $500M. It is a very painful flop, and with whooping $47M of domestic office there is not much hope for the home video sales.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Orcs were better than their human counterparts, and I think that most of the human segments were cut too short. There are obvious cuts here and there when the scene simply ends abruptly. Orcs on the other hand, well they got their fair share of the screen time. Would've loved to see the DC, but the extras have to be enough this time around.

It failed to achieve its projected box office, $435M. It failed to break even by gathering $500M. It is a very painful flop, and with whooping $47M of domestic office there is not much hope for the home video sales.
    There is a world outside the US you know