Page 1 of 40
... LastLast

Chicago Police kill unarmed black teenager

Video related to the Chicago Police shooting death of Paul O’Neal, an 18-year-old black man, was released to the public Friday by the city’s Independent Review Authority, which is investigating the incident.

Nine videos recovered from police body and dashboard cameras were released shortly after 11 a.m. local time this morning. They were first made available to O’Neal’s family a couple hours before.

The footage shows officers responding to a report of a stolen Jaguar in Chicago’s South Shore neighborhood. A black vehicle is seen speeding by two squad cars on the street of the suburban neighborhood as two officers open fire. Police said O'Neal crashed the Jaguar into two vehicles as they tried to stop him.

Officers then chase after the car, which stops further down the road, and the driver, allegedly O’Neal, can be seen jumping out. Police then pursue the man on foot into the backyard of a nearby home. Multiple gunshots can be heard.

Police said O’Neal was unarmed when he was shot in the back by Chicago police officers on July 28. Two officers opened fire at O’Neal while he was still in the Jaguar, but he was not hit by those shots. Another officer who chased O’Neal after he fled on foot fatally shot the man, police said. The shooting itself, however, was not captured on video.

But the released footage appears to show O’Neal face down on the ground with a bullet wound in his back as officers put his limp hands in cuffs. The officers can be heard cursing at O'Neal.

In the videos, the officers appear to question whether O’Neal fired at them. "He shot back, right?" one asks. "Who was shooting in the alley, was that him?" another adds.

O'Neal's family filed a federal civil rights lawsuit against the Chicago Police Department and the officers involved in the shooting on Monday.

Chicago Police superintendent Eddie Johnson applauded the release of the videos and vowed to hold individuals accountable for their actions should any wrongdoing be uncovered.

“The shooting of Mr. O'Neal has raised a lot of questions about whether departmental policies were followed,” Johnson said in a statement Friday. “You can expect this department to be open and honest about what we discover and we will work together with our community partners to implement solutions.”
    Now this is when I am on the Police's side. This person had stole a very expensive car though I can see that the Police acted out of fear so they shot the man while he was on foot not knowing if he was armed or not for safety reasons. He had died later after EMT arrived. For one, do not steal someone's stuff. You basically asked for this to happen. I pray for the Police to not go through jail or lose their job.

#BlackLivesDoMatter
    #BluesLivesDoMatter
    Last edited by TheramoreIsTheBomb; 2016-08-06 at 06:33 PM.
    "You know you that bitch when you cause all this conversation."

Time to riot in the streets for this injustice!

10+ Year Old Account
    Since there is no way to ever know if anyone is armed, you are in favor of the police being able to shoot anyone at any time? Cause fear? Seems like a bad idea to me...
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

I'm amazed he had a normal name

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't agree with shooting someone in the back, but in defense of the police the guy basically just assaulted them with a deadly weapon moments before shooting him in that back yard... He rammed a police card head on at high speed with the car he stole...

Deleted
    they shot him in the back.
    regardless of the value of the car, unless they actually SEEN a gun, or came under fire from the accused, there is no justification on the planet for shooting someone in the back.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

Quote Originally Posted by TheramoreIsTheBomb View Post
    Now this is when I am on the Police's side. This person had stole a very expensive car though I can see that the Police acted out of fear so they shot the man while he was on foot not knowing if he was armed or not for safety reasons. He had died later after EMT arrived. For one, do not steal someone's stuff. You basically asked for this to happen. I pray for the Police to not go through jail or lose their job.
    So, grand theft is punishable by execution. They had a right to shoot while he was ramming them with the car, as he was using what could be considered deadly force, and using the car as a weapon. Once he was out of the car and running away, unless he turned around and pointed a weapon at them, they were not correct in using deadly force.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
    regardless of the value of the car, unless they actually SEEN a gun, or came under fire from the accused, there is no justification on the planet for shooting someone in the back.
    Does getting rammed head-on by a 2000-something pound car count as coming under fire? If he was running in a specific direction, maybe he was heading somewhere he thought he could acquire a weapon.
    Walking with a friend in the dark is better than walking alone in the light.
    So I chose the path of the Ebon Blade, and not a day passes where i've regretted it.
    I am eternal, I am unyielding, I am UNDYING.
    I am Zethras, and my blood will be the end of you.

Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    Death generally is not the punishment for theft, at least not in Western countries. Shooting when you do not see a gun is also not something I support. If he flashed a gun, etc, that's another story.
    The dialogue makes it sound like they heard gunshots and responded. If that is indeed how it went down and why they fired, I can't exactly fault them.

While killing people for theft is definitely off, it is not unexpected for people to kill or threaten to kill to perform theft. It's not exactly crazy to think the gunshots you heard came from the car thief you are chasing in the heat of the moment.

Now, it turns out the dialogue is just to cover their asses, fuck em.

O'Neal's family filed a federal civil rights lawsuit against the Chicago Police Department and the officers involved in the shooting on Monday.
    Raise worthless scumbag kid, try to cash in on his death. Great parenting, A plus!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zethras View Post
    Does getting rammed head-on by a 2000-something pound car count as coming under fire?
    Not after he exited it.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Deleted
    Easy fix

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Raise worthless scumbag kid, try to cash in on his death. Great parenting, A plus!
    Let me fix that for you:

Raise a son who has made a mistake punishable by prison and possibility of rehabilitation. Try to punish the Chicago Police Department the only way they can in a society where "eye for an eye" is frowned upon through the recourse of law for acting outside the law as Judge, Jury and executioner.

In the videos, the officers appear to question whether O’Neal fired at them. "He shot back, right?" one asks. "Who was shooting in the alley, was that him?" another adds.
    It is normal to try to rationalize your actions when confronted with the possibility you might have just made a horrible, horrible mistake.

I am not anti-police, btw, I think our guys in blue have a terrible terrible job. I am anti fear, and anti escalation. If the Police cannot de-escalate a situation, who is going to?

Quote Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
    Thats about all there is to say about this. Dont steal a car and run away and be black.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rakoth View Post
    If the Police cannot de-escalate a situation, who is going to?
    In a world where "stand your ground" legally trumps, the "duty to retreat", youre not paying cops to de-escalate situations anymore.
    Last edited by Daymanmb; 2016-08-05 at 11:12 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    He didn't even really ram them, they short of created that situation, the kid was going to HoT them regardless because of suddenly wall they made with little to no stopping distance. The super cop placed his body in the spot the vehicle could go.

One doesn't slow down and try to squeeze between two cars if they want to ram something.

The primary shooting officer needs to be reprimanded for his recklessness. Even some of the other officers were questioning why he made the first shot. Then you the other super cop(s) manhandling the bleeding out suspect.

Some of these cops think they are living in a warzone where everyone is aimed with an AK and a bomb belt.
    Last edited by PACOX; 2016-08-05 at 11:15 PM.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    Since there is no way to ever know if anyone is armed, you are in favor of the police being able to shoot anyone at any time? Cause fear? Seems like a bad idea to me...
    Pretty much that.

Did the cop actually see a weapon? No.
    Is the guy about to pose an iminent threat to a bystander's life? No.

No cause for lethal force. If the kid gets away because you couldn't shoot him, he gets away. That's the preferable outcome, when the alternative is shooting an unarmed man.

Hell, I wouldn't even care if the guy had a gun, if it were holstered and he made no attempt to draw it.

Edit: Pre-emptively, I'll note that I realize this will put more officers at greater risk, and likely lead to increased officer fatalities. But that's the price you pay for taking the high road. If you just want cops to be the legally entitled gang that rules the streets with the government's say-so, then by all means, lock and load.
    Last edited by Endus; 2016-08-05 at 11:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheramoreIsTheBomb View Post
    So you're saying we should rewrite the penal code so that theft is punishable by death? How far back in history / to what assbackwards country do you wish you could live?

Nothing of value was lost.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    We only burn oil in this house! Oil that comes from decent, god-fearing sources like dinosaurs! Which didn't exist!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Did the cop actually see a weapon?
    Unknown

Is the guy about to pose an imminent threat to a bystander's life?
    He had already run into two other cars and rammed an occupied police cruiser head on about twenty seconds before they shot him.

No cause for lethal force.
    Opinion based on literally nothing but conjecture.