Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnusthegreat View Post
    There's a simple solution: don't buy into the hype. I haven't heard a thing about Suicide Squad except Harley Quinn is in it. And the joker. Sounds good to me!
    Ehhh your solution is not so simple. At what sweet spot should I be excited enough to buy a ticket to see a movie but not too excited to be disappointed?

Quote Originally Posted by SteveRocks View Post
    Ehhh your solution is not so simple. At what sweet spot should I be excited enough to buy a ticket to see a movie but not too excited to be disappointed?
    The sweet spot when you read a synopsis and say, "that's sounds kind of cool."

Maybe so but by over-saturating the market with trailers and publicity photos etc. I think they are doing too much.
    This makes no sense and there is no way to build a marketing strategy as such. Which is why no one does it.

"Too much" is totally subjective. Any marketer promoting their material as, "See it if you want I guess."/"Our food is okay."/"This will be alright at least." would be out of a job.

Creating interest is their job. Marketing blitzes work for the most part. I work in a industry related to marketing (& work with marketing agencies from time to time); saturation is often the goal for a lot of promotions.

Disappointment can be personal sure, but it can also be pretty unanimous as in the case of the two movies I listed originally, Batman vs. Superman and Suicide Squad.
    This is something completely different though. If you bought a ticket, they got their money and the ad campaign was effective. How you feel walking out is just up to you and that is not the marketer's business for the most part.

Again, no one can predict this- Civil War had an enormous marketing campaign and was a huge success. In fact it was one of the handful of true box office success this summer season. It could have been a "bad" movie- but no one marketing or making the film will know so until people watch it. However, they would be insane to not promote the movie as it was because they think you personally might not like it.

The goal is for people to be aware (ideally to the exclusion of everything else) and drive sales.

I barely watch movies these days. I feel like a really good movie is kind of rare these days, like only a couple of them come out every year.

When it comes to video games and movies if I know it's something I'll definitely play/watch then I try to only watch the very first trailer that comes out. If it's something I'm not sure about then I'll watch a couple more trailers to see if it's something I'd be into it. I try not to spoil anything though.
    Last edited by grandpab; 2016-08-03 at 11:49 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    This makes no sense and there is no way to build a marketing strategy as such. Which is why no one does it.

"Too much" is totally subjective. Any marketer promoting their material as, "See it if you want I guess."/"Our food is okay."/"This will be alright at least." would be out of a job.

Creating interest is their job. Marketing blitzes work for the most part. I work in a industry related to marketing (& work with marketing agencies from time to time); saturation is often the goal for a lot of promotions.

This is something completely different though. If you bought a ticket, they got their money and the ad campaign was effective. How you feel walking out is just up to you and that is not the marketer's business for the most part.

Again, no one can predict this- Civil War had an enormous marketing campaign and was a huge success. In fact it was one of the handful of true box office success this summer season. It could have been a "bad" movie- but no one marketing or making the film will know so until people watch it. However, they would be insane to not promote the movie as it was because they think you personally might not like it.

The goal is for people to be aware (ideally to the exclusion of everything else) and drive sales.
    You're way off base. You are speaking from a business perspective and I wasn't addressing that at all. Of course a production company wants to market their product. That is obvious and really didn't need to be stated.

My question was whether or not the recent trend of over-saturation/too much exposure of a film to various media outlets i.e trailers, promotional websites, promotional set photos as well as non-promotional "leaked," coverage of a film's production affects the overall enjoyment of seeing said film.

My question was whether or not the recent trend of over-saturation/too much exposure of a film to various media outlets i.e trailers, promotional websites, promotional set photos as well as non-promotional "leaked," coverage of a film's production affects the overall enjoyment of seeing said film.
    It's not recent. Marketing has worked like this forever. We, as an audience, simply have more outlets for promotional materials.

There were 'behind the scenes' photos and gossip since the early days of popular film. People have followed actors for a long time. Industry trades existed since the industry began, etc, etc.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2016-08-04 at 12:31 AM.

Why is everyone saying Suicide Squad is boring? hell i watched that movie it was fun AF i wish i could watch it again...

Movies get hyped because opening weekend tends to be fairly critical for big money films. If a flick opens poorly it's going to generally set the tone for the rest of the run in theaters.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think the negative criticism is what's bothering you. If Suicide Squad and BvS had a 90% on RT, and people were already screaming SEQUEL!, then you wouldn't have made this thread. Whether the films had tons of hype or none, a crap film is a crap film. The people who made the crap film are who you should aim your disappointment at. Sure the hype probably wound you a bit, but it's not the root of the issue.

The worse a film is, the more advertising they'll do for it, good movies will get a normal level of advertising and hyping but if the studio put lots of money into it, and they know from preview screenings and stuff that it's shit they'll try and recoup their impending losses by hyping it up waaaay too much and try and get ticket sales that way.

Also I like it when comedy movies have a few laughs in the trailer, but when you see the movie the trailer in fact contained the only funny moments the movie actually had.

I think the only movie that matched the hype train build up, to me, was Deadpool. I still love that movie, watched it again earlier this week and.. yeah. Nothing outside of Margot Robbie riding me raw while watching SS, will take that #1 spot for the year.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    We, as an audience, simply have more outlets for promotional materials.
    Pretty much. I can avoid most trailers, as I'll DVR a show and fast forward through commercials, or i'll be on my phone during a live event or chatting more with people, if I can't. Things like Ghostbusters, i'd read about months in advance and was tracking, so for ME, that's obviously on the radar. BvS was not. I barely saw 1 trailer for it and barely any sort of promotional materials... why? I didn't click those Dark Horizon articles. I didn't click those yahoo articles. DC really holds no interest for me.

Marketing tries to hit it's target audience, while throwing a light blanket over the rest, but you can avoid a lot of it, if you try. I'm almost positive that i'll enjoy Suicide Squad. I will see it tomorrow, I've liked almost everything Will Smith - things that I might not have enjoyed, i've avoided.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by atredies View Post
    The worse a film is, the more advertising they'll do for it, good movies will get a normal level of advertising and hyping but if the studio put lots of money into it, and they know from preview screenings and stuff that it's shit they'll try and recoup their impending losses by hyping it up waaaay too much and try and get ticket sales that way.

Also I like it when comedy movies have a few laughs in the trailer, but when you see the movie the trailer in fact contained the only funny moments the movie actually had.
    Yes I agree 100%

Deleted
    These years I have ended up enjoying movies like: It follows, Coherence, Snowpierce, American Sniper, 13 hours: The secret soldiers of Bengazi and so on. These movies weren´t really that hyped but they turn to be movies that I woulnd´t mind watching again with some friends but other movies wich I found to be more commercial like XMEN, Capt. America and Warcraft (wich I don´t say they were bad) were kind of a disappointment.

It´s a matter of taste but I kind of agree with the OP.

I dunno. I think a lot of people are more influenced by their group of friends "groupthink" then they are by the marketing themselves. I mean, everyone KNOWS that the studio/company is TRYING to market their movie because movies cost a crap load of money to make and the promo people are under INTENSE pressure to market the product because that's what the studio is forcing them to do.

It's like when you walk into a store or something and the person is standing there ready to pounce on you saying "HI!!!!! DO YOU NEED HELP?? CAN I HELP YOU FIND SOMETHING???" They aren't doing it because they really think CVS has the greatest products in the world or whatever, they are doing it because someone is breathing down their neck to do it for the good of the company.

I am aware of the movies that are heavily marketed (most of the time), but I am not the type that gets super excited about anything really...I just take it in stride and if it looks cool, I may go see it. If I DO and it isn't the greatest movie in the world, I don't care. It cost me a couple hours of my life and 10 bucks. Not sure why people get so mad about stuff like this. Although this is the internet so..rabble rabble rabble!

7+ Year Old Account
    I saw Lights Out the other day. It was OK. It's a horror movie developed around this light switch gimmick. It's actually a really cool little concept that was the feature of a very popular short film. You can probably find the original short on YouTube.

Anyway, during the movie I couldn't help but feel the best parts were highlighted in the trailers. Seeing the trailers beforehand didn't necessarily ruin the movie for me, but I think it would have been better had I not seen them.

saw Bourne last week, i wasnt really that hyped up to see it, but i decided hey its a good waste of 2 hours so i went to it. It wasnt a bad film but it wasnt great either, also the conclusion was rather half baked. to be honest this movie wasnt really promoted well so i wasnt expecting much.

Batman v superman, sucked. very boring show also we didnt need to see the Wayne family die for the 18th time.
    Conjuring 2 - was good and decently scary, although somewhat cheesy
    Central intelligence- very funny just because of kevin hart- hes probably one of the most talented black comedians since Dave Chappelle
    Zoolander2 - wasnt that good, especially since most of the funny parts were shown in the trailers
    Allegiant - pretty bad as well, lacking the intrigue of the first movie
    Xmen Apocalypse - while it was kinda stupid for the ending, atleast it was entertaining most of the way through
    Independence day Resurgence - somewhat interesting but u forget about almost every character since it was so long since seeing them in the first movie.

Quote Originally Posted by mizeri View Post
    the people that make the trailers for a lot of the modern movies gives out too much of the spoilers, they almost show all the best scenes in them. just think if they never showed wonder woman in the trailers for bvs at all and they never hinted at who she was, same with showing doomsday, should have kept all that a secret till the end.

Every Cutter/Ad Agencies should watch this trailer first befor making a new trailer.

Quote Originally Posted by Miyagie View Post

Every Cutter/Ad Agencies should watch this trailer first befor making a new trailer.
    yup, all the suspense without all the spoilers

Deleted

My God the people that actually liked that one...

Quote Originally Posted by mizeri View Post
    the people that make the trailers for a lot of the modern movies gives out too much of the spoilers, they almost show all the best scenes in them. just think if they never showed wonder woman in the trailers for bvs at all and they never hinted at who she was, same with showing doomsday, should have kept all that a secret till the end.
    Did you forget all the buildup with Lex's computer files and the meta humans? Her first scene and the music with it screamed WW.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Damajin View Post
    Hollywood is bankrupt of ideas for the most part, so the only shit they have left to do is hype and hope they catch some part of what you're yearning to see in entertainment so you go spend the cash. If you're disappointed afterwards that's fine, in the words of Charlie Sheen "Too late pal, I already got your money."
    They've tried original movies. People don't go see them. If you want to blame anyone blame moviegoers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lansworthy
    Deathwing will come and go RAWR RAWR IM A DWAGON
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyCasual View Post
    There's no point in saying this, even if you slap them upside down and inside out with the truth, the tin foil hat brigade will continue to believe the opposite.