Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I thought his real name was "Green Jesus"?

Quote Originally Posted by Etamalgren View Post
    I thought his real name was "Green Jesus"?
    I hear he has a restro druid named GreenTreesus...jerk
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonus View Post
    Anyway stop being such an ass fucktard.
    Quote Originally Posted by oblivium666 View Post
    Would you kindly go fuck yourself?

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I like Go'el as a name. Thrall is his Slave Name, I feel him finding out his real name and connecting with his Homeworld made him that much stronger.

Much like when Clack Kent found out his Name was Kal'el from the Fortress of Solitude.

Kargath
    Eitrigg
    Saurfang
    Varok
    Dranosh
    Grommash
    Garrosh
    Garadar
    Durotan
    Orgrim
    Ner'zhul

Ah, so there we go, I couldn't remember if other orcs had apostrophes in their names or not.

Anyway, I don't really mind the name, but its similarity to Superman is kinda on the nose. Though "Goel" also means redeemer in Hebrew, I think, so he's pretty much named after the messiah regardless.

Stupid name for a stupid character

Quote Originally Posted by Tsugunai View Post
    And you don't see it as symbolic of a mere slaveboy Orc evolving into a hero?
    "Thrall" was that. Still is for me.

“Should we then change your other name? It is the term of a slave,” said Hellscream, squatting and watching Thrall closely with red eyes. “It was meant to be a badge of shame.”

Thrall thought as he chewed and swallowed. “No. Blackmoore gave me the name so that I would never forget that I was something he owned, that I belonged to him.” His eyes narrowed. “I never will. I will keep the name, and one day, when I see him again, he will be the one who remembers what he did to me, and regret it with all his heart.”
    “My name is Thrall.”

Drek’Thar spat. “Thrall! A human word, and a word of subjugation at that.”

“Yes,” said Thrall, “a word that means slave in their tongue. But I am a thrall no longer, though I keep
    the name to prick myself to my duties."
    A profound peace swept over him as he watched his people cry his name. After so many years of searching, he finally knew where his true destiny lay; knew deep in his bones who he was: Thrall, son of Durotan . . . Warchief of the Horde.

He had come home.

but it's a major plot point that Thrall abandoned the Horde and left it in the hands of Garrosh, who expressed his doubts of leadership
    It's a major plot point after he became Go'el. That's the point.
    Last edited by Daniri; 2016-08-07 at 01:28 AM.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    No poll? I wanted to vote 'Yes'.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think it's a stupid name but I still refer to him as Thrall, it's a habit.

It's not as bad as Turalyon, but she's Blizzard failed epically with their Go'el bs.

It's a stupid idea and definitely a Superman ripoff. Might as well rename Arthas to "Bruce Way'ne" while they're at it

Quote Originally Posted by Budong View Post
    It is absolutely horrendous and signaled the demise of my favorite Warcraft character. The Thrall I know, would have said this.

"Goel? No, that is not my name. My name is Thrall. Not because I am a slave to the humans, but because I am a slave to my people. From this day forward until the day I die I shall live for my clan, for the orcs and FOR THE HORDE!"

This pretty much sums up my feelings. Thrall even said as much int he Lord of the Clans book, that he kept the name to remind himself of his duties.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by McNeil View Post
    It sure as hell is a stupid name whenever Aggra yells it out...
    Everything Aggra says is stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by hulkgor View Post
    Why is Go'el a stupid name? I take it as a homage to Superman being Kal'el.
    ^this! So much this!

Does it mean something or it's just a random word?

Quote Originally Posted by Tackhisis View Post
    Does it mean something or it's just a random word?
    Go'el which others have pointed out, close to superman's name.

It also (I believe) means Jesus, or at least 'The Redeemer' in Hebrew.

go'el Messsiiiiiiii ! go'el, go'el, go'el !

see, it's not a kal'el reference, it's a sports reference. thrall used to be a referee at stromguarde where they annualy held the Azeroth League championship.

It's not as stupid of a name as varian is.

but it's a major plot point that Thrall abandoned the Horde and left it in the hands of Garrosh, who expressed his doubts of leadership. He then refused to acknowledge any responsibility when confronted about this in their duel.
    It's irrelevant what the plot points are beginning with Cata. The character of Thrall that I had so much respect for was radically changed to fit a different narrative. I don't care what the story reasons are for changing him I simply disagree with it. I think it was a very bad decision that soured the feelings toward a character that had once been well liked. It was poor writing and character development.

I have always maintained that a more profound character arc would have seen Aggra and her newborn son killed in an attack on an orc settlement by Jaina after the events of Theramore. This would have cemented the rift between the two as well as adding a much more personal and emotional impact on Thrall's decisions moving forward. A colder more distrustful Thrall would have lent itself to a much richer environment to tell stories. That Thrall wouldn't have allowed Varian to stop him from killing Garrosh. That Thrall would have told Varian to get the hell out of Orgrimmar before he decorated it's gates with their heads. That Thrall would have taken back the mantle of Warchief which was only given to Garrosh temporarily. The events of WoD would have never happened and we would have been left with a dark and brooding Thrall as Warchief of the Horde to lead us into better stories to be told.

Do people call Goku; Goku or Kakarot? People know him more as Thrall, and are conditioned to call him Thrall as that was/is his name for a very long time. Plus his in game name in...everything is still Thrall. Go'el isn't a stupid name.

It makes more sense that those like Aggra call him Go'el than Thrall, since he got the name Thrall on Azeroth, and they would know him by his orc name. But they should eventually change his in game name, as he officially replaced Thrall with Go'el in the Aspects book.
    If what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger. Then I should be a god by now.

It's a jewish name, Blizzard thought they could push a zionist agenda.