Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    if they are tired enough where coffee is the only thing keeping them awake, they shouldn't be driving at all!!
    I remember as Americans, we would bitch about German cars having no cup holders. Germans believed that when driving, both hands should be on steering wheel. I guess they didn't want people sipping their drink while driving on the Autobahn.
    Last edited by Paranoid Android; 2016-08-09 at 09:20 PM.

Those who defend this law: Should the driver be allowed to adjust the temperature? How about the radio? I mean, these things might require taking a hand off the wheel briefly and looking down for a moment, so that's definitely a distraction on par with grabbing a drink and taking a sip (more so for me, since typically adjusting anything on the console requires at least brief eye-contact, whereas drinks can be done without looking away at all.)

Also, I remember driving cross-country through Nevada, Utah, etc, during some very hot parts of the day. I drank water while driving, to stay hydrated and keep focused. I suppose under the new scheme of driving I'd be pulling over every 20-30 minutes for a 5-10 minute break to sit and drink water?

As far as people living their lives, this kinda law would be a huge inconvenience.

But the real issue I see with this, is with Truckers. Many to most of them depend on a continuous flow of sustenance to maintain alertness during those long hours on the road. I realize that this would be just in the state of NJ but imagine the financial impact if something like this went nation wide as shipping companies are forced to reduce daily travel time on the road, which would hit the pockets of the Truckers themselves.

I know, personally, I can keep driving on road trips for 7+ hours...as long as I have 3 things. Snacks, Caffeinated beverage, and audio entertainment. Cut the food and drink, and it significantly increases my travel time but significantly increasing my stops.

Edit: Just realized! If I was a conservative media, I could spin this as an infringement on my freedom as an American! Because taking road trips is a symbol of American freedom, and they want to take that away!

Quote Originally Posted by ccombustable View Post
    As far as people living their lives, this kinda law would be a huge inconvenience.

But the real issue I see with this, is with Truckers. Many to most of them depend on a continuous flow of sustenance to maintain alertness during those long hours on the road. I realize that this would be just in the state of NJ but imagine the financial impact if something like this went nation wide as shipping companies are forced to reduce daily travel time on the road, which would hit the pockets of the Truckers themselves.

I know, personally, I can keep driving on road trips for 7+ hours...as long as I have 3 things. Snacks, Caffeinated beverage, and audio entertainment. Cut the food and drink, and it significantly increases my travel time but significantly increasing my stops.

Edit: Just realized! If I was a conservative media, I could spin this as an infringement on my freedom as an American! Because taking road trips is a symbol of American freedom, and they want to take that away!
    Truckers will be replaced by self driving trucks eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    Truckers will be replaced by self driving trucks eventually.
    Eventually is still decades away though. Even if the Tech is ready in 5 years, the legal shit will take an unpredictable amount of time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Eating foodstuffs that require both hands is understandable. But I'm fairly capable of operating my motor vehicle while taking occasional bites of an apple.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by PRE 9-11 View Post
    Good. People don't realize that these types of actions result in fatalities. It's an extremely simple. Pay attention to the road.
    Can I change the radio station, adjust my mirrors, put on sunglasses or should I pull over to do these things?

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ccombustable View Post
    Eventually is still decades away though. Even if the Tech is ready in 5 years, the legal shit will take an unpredictable amount of time.
    Not to mention the infrastructure upgrades. Tons of roads and highways aren't up to the standards needed by self-driving cars or trucks. Faded lines, poor road condition, broken lights in traffic lights. Tons of things that need to be fixed for it to be possible. Tons of infrastructure spending that needs to happen, and we've had a pretty bad record in terms of that for some time now.

Shouldn't be allowed in the 1st place. I always see all these idiots that can't keep their cars straight and when i manage to get a look at them, its some moron eating, brushing their teeth, or on the phone while driving...

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    It's not being put in place because of the amount of accidents caused by distracted driving. There is no evidence of an increase at all. It is nothing more than a revenue increasing scheme.
    Agreed. I was commenting about the supposed law at face value, but having lived in NJ basically my whole life, I know behind the curtain it's just another cash grab from the already strapped citizens of our state.

10+ Year Old Account
    Talking on the cell phone is as equally distracting as these, so if your against that than there isn't much ground for you to be against this. Next thing that should go is talking to someone in the passengers seat.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Collegeguy View Post
    Talking on the cell phone is as equally distracting as these, so if your against that than there isn't much ground for you to be against this. Next thing that should go is talking to someone in the passengers seat.
    You're nuts. Sorry not sorry. That's Orwellian as fuck.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PRE 9-11 View Post
    Good. People don't realize that these types of actions result in fatalities. It's an extremely simple. Pay attention to the road.
    I think what people don't realize is this is what results in politicians being removed from office.

No complaints though, it's Care-Alot, er I mean New Jersey and thus it deserves everything that it gets.

Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account
    Fuckin redic. I can eat, drink a beer, and text at the same time while driving. Glad I don't live in that nanny state. Can't wait for legislation that will fine you for blinking or looking at your speed while driving.

Sorry, if you can't drive a car while doing any of these things nevermind all 3, you probably shouldn't be on the road in the first place.
    Last edited by Stacyrect; 2016-08-09 at 10:26 PM.

Might as well remove the mirrors from your car too, anytime something moves in them and you catch it in your peripheral vision you get distracted. My statistics that are clearly common knowledge enough for me to not list them says mirrors increased the rate of car accidents 500% as soon as they became standard on most vehicles. You know I was also thinking that the speedometer is pretty distracting as well, too many numbers for my brain to process while driving and that annoying bright color that they always make the needle is super attention grabbing thus pulling away from the copious amounts of brain power needed to drive. As someone else said billboards got to go too, but why stop there? All signage is distracting. I must look at it to read it right? I really hate the ones that have letters and numbers! My brain can't process that much and neither can yours, its been scientifically proven. If you don't believe me then you're probably a distracted driver and you should immediately stop operating all vehicles and turn in your license to the nearest garbage disposal. You know outside noises often grab my attention while driving too. All drivers should be required to wear 100% noise cancelling headphones just in case.
    -Awesome sig by Darthne-

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hadard View Post
    Might as well remove the mirrors from your car too, anytime something moves in them and you catch it in your peripheral vision you get distracted. My statistics that are clearly common knowledge enough for me to not list them says mirrors increased the rate of car accidents 500% as soon as they became standard on most vehicles. You know I was also thinking that the speedometer is pretty distracting as well, too many numbers for my brain to process while driving and that annoying bright color that they always make the needle is super attention grabbing thus pulling away from the copious amounts of brain power needed to drive. As someone else said billboards got to go too, but why stop there? All signage is distracting. I must look at it to read it right? I really hate the ones that have letters and numbers! My brain can't process that much and neither can yours, its been scientifically proven. If you don't believe me then you're probably a distracted driver and you should immediately stop operating all vehicles and turn in your license to the nearest garbage disposal. You know outside noises often grab my attention while driving too. All drivers should be required to wear 100% noise cancelling headphones just in case.
    That's a huge strawman. Looking in your mirrors and checking your speedometer are parts of driving a vehicle. The whole point on banning eating/drinking/talking on the phone while driving is to make people focus more on all of the parts of driving the vehicle, which (again), checking your mirrors/speedometer is part of. Same goes with required road signage and listening to your environment.

Quote Originally Posted by Annoying View Post
    Not to mention the infrastructure upgrades. Tons of roads and highways aren't up to the standards needed by self-driving cars or trucks. Faded lines, poor road condition, broken lights in traffic lights. Tons of things that need to be fixed for it to be possible. Tons of infrastructure spending that needs to happen, and we've had a pretty bad record in terms of that for some time now.
    You guys have broken traffic lights? Is that common?

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    You guys have broken traffic lights? Is that common?
    We've had a light out on two of them for more than a year now, and one of them goes into backup mode (flashing red) every time it rains. One of them recently started drooping to where you can't see the one on the top unless you're right at it. I mean, if you look at all three spots where the lights are mounted, you know that one or two of them will work, but they really all should work all the time.

This is the most bullshit law ever. Might as well just ban drive through then. Fucking government telling me what I can and can't do. Fucking hell. If I am on a couple hour drive I would like to be able to have a sip of coffee or gatorade or water or something. Seriously fuck this government. They expect us to fucking finish our meal and drinks before getting on the road? WTF

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Stacyrect View Post
    Fuckin redic. I can eat, drink a beer, and text at the same time while driving. Glad I don't live in that nanny state. Can't wait for legislation that will fine you for blinking or looking at your speed while driving.

Sorry, if you can't drive a car while doing any of these things nevermind all 3, you probably shouldn't be on the road in the first place.
    Exactly. If you aren't competent enough to drink something while driving you should go to a doctor or take a retard test. Only retards would actually go take a test to see if they are retarded lul..

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't entirely agree with that because some of us aren't morons, but if they have to ban anything then they should bad smoking while driving. If you drop the cigarette then you'll go nuts hunting for it and that's really distracting. Smoking is not on the list?

This is just another method to extract money for the state and government. What you put in your mouth can be very subjective, especially when cigarettes aren't involved.