Page 1 of 8
... LastLast
    Herald of the Titans Lotus Victoria's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account

Would you fire someone if you caught them taking a nap during worktime?

Got curious around this question the other day. Personally, I'd like to know what happened in the last nights before taking any actions.

And you?

Gonna need more context with this. What type of job?
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

10+ Year Old Account
    Obviously not. What kind of garbage job must you be working if you're gonna fire someone just for one nap.

Not like they're at the helm of a nuclear reactor or something.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd just draw a dick on their face

No.

A firm warning.
    While extremely unprofessional, I would let them off. It it kept happening, you would have to start some kind of disciplinary process.

That would depend entirely on what their job is.

It depends on the job and the circumstance. For instance, while I don't, I certain could take an hour to 90 minute nap during my work while losing no productivity. I'm a software engineer that builds a gigantic product, and when I want to do live tests of any change, it takes at least 90 minutes to compile.

10+ Year Old Account
    Once, no, twice, yes.

I fell asleep when I came to work pretty suck tgey just told me to go home and get rest.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd be asking myself why he saw it fit to take a nap at all, and try and find a proper solution to his "downtime" that allows him to take a nap.

If hes not working enough, then there is more than likely something else he can also do while standing idle waiting for tasks.
    Fod Sparta los wuth, ahrk okaaz gekenlok kruziik himdah, dinok fent kos rozol do daan wah jer do Samos. Ahrk haar do Heracles fent motaad, fah strunmah vonun fent yolein ko yol

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    Obviously not. What kind of garbage job must you be working if you're gonna fire someone just for one nap.

i pity you'r co workers .

Probably not. Most likely ask them why they were taking a nap and give them a warning.
    Gaming & Tech related discussion with occasional poo flinging!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNS...PDOAsdXS7I029g
    https://twitter.com/Aztech_Zero

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post

Truck Driver

Deleted
    Going by the lack of context? No. We'd have a sit down discussion though, give a warning if no medical condition is involved and send the employee home to get some rest. I would fully expect this to be a 1 time thing.

In Belgium you cannot fire someone on the spot unless they received 3 warnings in writing or they committed a serious offense, whether napping on the job is a serious offense might be up for discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus Victorya View Post
    Got curious around this question the other day. Personally, I'd like to know what happened in the last nights before taking any actions.

And you?
    Verbal warning, and would take it from there. No sense in throwing away all the training you invested in someone over one mistake.

10+ Year Old Account
    A warning first and maybe ask why they're so tired at work. Maybe they have a medical condition or something. A diabetic woman in my office sometimes knocks out for a bit. Also depends on the job... some desk jockey like seriously who cares? Performing surgery? Well yeah probably don't be taking naps lol

I would send them home immediately. 2nd offense fired.

If there were no consequences to it, likely not.
    Talk to them, see what the issue is.
    If they have been a good employee up to that point, then try to keep them on.
    If they have been trouble, then maybe things would be different in how it is escalated.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugraka View Post
    . Also depends on the job... some desk jockey like seriously who cares? Performing surgery? Well yeah probably don't be taking naps lol
    Absolutely disagree. Napping on the job is not acceptable anywhere. It's about your attitude towards both your employer and your co-workers and your own work ethics.

Unless you have a lounge where you allow people to take a powernap during break times, I've been in a company in Holland that had one of those.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lotus Victorya View Post

And you?
    I would send them home, and ask them to be well rested for their next shift.

When they arrive for their next shift, I would take them to a private place, and sit them down to talk. I would ask them if everything was ok, and if there is anything they would like to talk about. If they tell me it is due to something private, I would ask them if they need time off to take care of it. If they refuse the time off, I would let them resume their shift.

If it happens again, I would tell them that they cannot keep doing that at work, that if there is something they need to take care of, to tell me so I can work with them to resolve the issue. Maybe change their shifts, reduce their hours, or if there is something else I can do to help them.

On a third time, if they still refuse to talk to me about it, I would drug test them and let them know that this is looking bad for them and if they wish to keep their job, they need to fix the problem. If it came back that they have been doing drugs, they are fired. If it is clean, I would give them one more chance. If they keep sleeping after that, they would be fired.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.