Thread: No Man's Sky

Quote Originally Posted by Myobi View Post
    Damn, reading the posts here.... is it that bad?
    Do you like seeing the same planet with a slight change 1000 times? If so, then no.

Quote Originally Posted by nvn View Post
    I was honestly going to pirate it but having watched some streams is enough for me. It really looks boring and repetitive, I'd rather buy wow legion...and I hate current wow.
    Pirates are bad mmkay.

Quote Originally Posted by Myobi View Post
    Damn, reading the posts here.... is it that bad?
    Depends what your expectation were I guess. I for one never expected much and am enjoying myself. Course who knows if I'll feel the same at the 20 hour mark. That said I rented it cause there was no way I was gonna pay $66 for it.

10+ Year Old Account
    looks very repetitive and definintly not worth the price
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of the mighty moose, polar bears and fika.
    The great purge is happening, when people that aren't the niche group NMS caters to realizes that no, this game is not for them. NMS is becoming the Warcraft (movie) of divisiveness. You're either into a game like this, with space as a theme, at times very repetitive gameplay for progression, love of exploration and enjoy games like Elite Dangerous / Subnautica, basic trading and let procedural stuff generate the game's longevity.... or you aren't. And that is okay.

It's been said so many times by now that the game is one you either love or hate that it's getting dull, but it's still true. Problem is that a lot of hype means a lot of people will remain to bash on it, who seemingly find it worth their while to spend hours telling the target audience why they're not going to enjoy it with overarching examples. A bit like people who overall hasn't enjoyed WoW since whatever expansion, comes back for Legion pre-patch due to the extreme taglines like "BC is back" and other mumbo-jumbo hype, mostly from players. But it's still not what they wanted, so now they're stuck telling people who do enjoy it why it sucks.

It's never fun when a game doesn't live up to one's own expectations, trust me I was overexcited for Spore only to finally realize I spent more time in the creature creator demo than the actual game. And don't get me started on Aliens: Colonial Marines.
    But please take a moment to reflect whether you're actually the kind of gamer that'd enjoy NMS to begin with before spreading negativity to those that WOULD enjoy it.

That's not to say that negative feedback shouldn't be expressed, but at least try to keep it in mind. And the price tag is quite ridiculous, but apparently that came with the marketing etc deal with Sony.. :/
    Last edited by MasterHamster; 2016-08-12 at 05:44 AM.
    Active WoW player Jan 2006 - Aug 2020
    Occasional WoW Classic Andy since.
    Nothing lasts forever, as they say.
    But at least I can casually play Classic and remember when MMORPGs were good.

10+ Year Old Account
    This year's Spore
    You're getting exactly what you deserve.

10+ Year Old Account
    Anecdotally my two friends think its an amazing amount of fun, I haven't played it and highly doubt I will until its a tenner on Steam sale.

From what I've seen so far of this game, it looks very bland and uninspiring. It's the same old repetitive shit 10 hours in as it is at 100 hours in. There just isn't enough variety in anything in the game. They toted this game as this huge universe that you would want to explore and find everything in it. And yet if you've been to one planet, you've been to them all. Combat looks extremely basic and lackluster. The amount that they reused models and designs is shamefully bad. I get that you have to start reusing stuff at some point in order to fill a game universe this big....but I've seen playthroughs where the first 5-10 planets someone goes to are all almost the exact same thing, with a few different plants and animals scattered around.

Overall, the game seems to have been way overhyped and very much underdelivered. It's basically a newer, shinier Minecraft in space, but at the same time it lacks certain things that make Minecraft good (like building stuff other than weapons and ship parts). Glad I decided to take a pass at this game.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by The One Percent View Post
    This year's Spore
    Omg. Amazing analogy. That is actually pretty accurate if you ask me.

I bet this game will not be on anyone's radar within the next six months to a year if it even makes it that long.
    Last edited by Zephyr Storm; 2016-08-12 at 08:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    It does suck that the PC version isn't releasing at midnight and doesn't have a pre-load available. From steam discussion board:
    "THERE WILL BE NO PRE-LOAD AVAILABLE! Game due to release Friday: 6pm UK, 1pm Eastern US, 10am Pacific US and 7pm CEST. Follow @HelloGames on twitter for any updates!" http://steamcommunity.com/app/275850...2047212712737/
    The download is tiny and games never ever release on Steam at midnight.

Quote Originally Posted by mistahwilshire View Post
    Mass Effect 2 did. I may have been awake at the time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mistahwilshire View Post
    Skyrim did, lots of games have on steam, Skyrim is the only one I can remember though, probably because I stayed up for it.

Edit: Fallout 4 did as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you like survival games, you will like it. If not, I suggest you pass on NMS.

Did you like Day Z and Rust? Because if you didn't, you're wasting your money on NMS.
    Last edited by Beazy; 2016-08-12 at 01:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sileh View Post
    I was very interested in the game when I first saw the trailer and heard about it but after watching multiple reviews and streams I'm just disappointed.

I was under the assumption that there would be great variety in the planets. For example, planets with lava or ice planets etc. but it seems neither of those is in. I have also yet to see a planet that's basically a giant forest with huge trees, it all seems to be so small.
    You have seen just a tiny fraction of what is possible. No one is close to the center of the universe where things get weirder as you get closer to it. If you think of the galaxies as tiers, it could be possible that certain plant/animal/planet features are in certain tiers that increase in variety or change as you move through them as you approach the center of the universe.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SirBeef View Post
    You have seen just a tiny fraction of what is possible. No one is close to the center of the universe where things get weirder as you get closer to it. If you think of the galaxies as tiers, it could be possible that certain plant/animal/planet features are in certain tiers that increase in variety or change as you move through them as you approach the center of the universe.
    You mean no one other than all the people who have exploited their way to the center already.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterHamster View Post
    The great purge is happening, when people that aren't the niche group NMS caters to realizes that no, this game is not for them. NMS is becoming the Warcraft (movie) of divisiveness. You're either into a game like this, with space as a theme, at times very repetitive gameplay for progression, love of exploration and enjoy games like Elite Dangerous / Subnautica, basic trading and let procedural stuff generate the game's longevity.... or you aren't. And that is okay.

It's been said so many times by now that the game is one you either love or hate that it's getting dull, but it's still true. Problem is that a lot of hype means a lot of people will remain to bash on it, who seemingly find it worth their while to spend hours telling the target audience why they're not going to enjoy it with overarching examples. A bit like people who overall hasn't enjoyed WoW since whatever expansion, comes back for Legion pre-patch due to the extreme taglines like "BC is back" and other mumbo-jumbo hype, mostly from players. But it's still not what they wanted, so now they're stuck telling people who do enjoy it why it sucks.

It's never fun when a game doesn't live up to one's own expectations, trust me I was overexcited for Spore only to finally realize I spent more time in the creature creator demo than the actual game. And don't get me started on Aliens: Colonial Marines.
    But please take a moment to reflect whether you're actually the kind of gamer that'd enjoy NMS to begin with before spreading negativity to those that WOULD enjoy it.

That's not to say that negative feedback shouldn't be expressed, but at least try to keep it in mind. And the price tag is quite ridiculous, but apparently that came with the marketing etc deal with Sony.. :/
    I've gotten plenty of time out it for my $60. More so than any other $60 game I have gotten recently. As with every form of entertainment, YMMV. Value is on the individual not the community as a whole. I paid $60 for MGSV thought it was hot garbage. Loved XCX more than XC. Not a fan of any typical survival game but NMS has just clicked with me. If I do not play another minute of the game I feel that It was $60 well spent.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xerus View Post
    You mean no one other than all the people who have exploited their way to the center already.
    Center of the galaxy is not the same as what the poster you quoted is referencing. While there may be no true center of the universe there are multiple galaxies. People like to refer to it as New Game Plus when you reach the center of the first galaxy but that is a misnomer. Because you start in a new galaxy rather then restarting the game in the same galaxy.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Guys you're missing the point of NMS...it is -THE- game for stoners!
    They always told me I would miss my family... but I never miss from close range.

10+ Year Old Account
    So I like a whole range of games. What I look in NMS is a relaxing adventure game. I'm not looking for base building, I really just look to explore and take it slow.

Do I get that?
    Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

Every planet is just a bunch of hills and weird plants. I have yet to see mountains, waterfalls, floating structures, forests, etc. It's just a bunch of deserts with different shades of yellow.

Creatures are all most the same with a few minor differences and they all act the same too. The customization is bland (and there's little of it), the combat is uninspired and clunky, and the game is really simplistic. Subnautica has everything this game has and more, and it even looks better, all under $20.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BloodElf4Life View Post
    So I like a whole range of games. What I look in NMS is a relaxing adventure game. I'm not looking for base building, I really just look to explore and take it slow.

Do I get that?
    Adventure game might be a stretch.

You travel from planet to planet scanning things and harvesting things that allow you to travel to the next planet where you can do it all again. You get random upgrades and blueprints you can build along the way. That is about 98% of the game.

If you like that type of gameplay then you will enjoy this.