Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Demonology, Difficult to play

The spec is by far the most difficult to play correctly out of the 3, and that is baseline without talents. We are still missing Thal'kiel's consumption, which looks like it will also be difficult to use 100% correctly. Talents like shadowfalme and summon Darkglare add even more buttons, furthering the complication, plus shadowflame has the extra dot to look out for and stack correctly. That's fine that those options exist for people that like a difficult spec with a high skill cap.

Most guides will strait away tell you that you should almost certainty pick up some specific addons and weak auras (like doomshards) to help you play and keep track of your normal rotation. I cant believe this is really intended class design with the entire demonology specialization. With difficult talent choices, sure, but I for one would like a little more strait forward, simple spec, where I can choose to talent into more difficult options.

I'm surprised that there aren't more options put into the talent tree to opt out of some of the difficulty, such as eliminating something like demonic empowerment or call dreadstalkers (though the latter option would take away from class flavor). Those are the 2 major spells adding a lot of difficulty to the basic rotation. You have an option to more or less make doom a spell you don't have to worry about manually applying. But maintaining doom is far from the most difficult thing about playing Demonology.

Probably already too late to see a major mechanic change (like removing a button from the rotation) this expac, which is pretty depressing because it hasn't even launched yet, but who knows?

TLDR: I would like to see demonic empowerment removed.
    Last edited by last1214; 2016-08-13 at 07:45 AM.

There are plenty of other mind numbing specs out there. Let demo be one of the few difficult specs left.

10+ Year Old Account
    Having hand of guldan apply doom us worthless, as it limits either the amount of times doom actually procs, or the number of imps you summon. It will refresh doom, and doom isn't a dot, it's basicly a delayed reaction instant.

10+ Year Old Account
    With all due respect, I am glad of the complexity. Beast Mastery is a similar "class fantasy" pet-based spec, and it's horribly boring. I used to love my hunter, and they've trashed it. Demo was my first love in Wrath, but I found it unplayable after the Meta mechanic was introduced (vs the old CD). I'm glad to have my spec back. If you want a simple lock, consider Affliction. Dot-Dot-Fear has and always will be their SOP, and it works well enough to be fun and semi-engaging.
    Warning: this comment occasionally contains strong language (which may be unsuitable for children), unusual humor (which may be unsuitable for adults), and advanced mathematics (which may be unsuitable for liberal-arts majors).
    ┌─┐
    ┴─┴
    ಠ_ರೃ

Quote Originally Posted by Time Sage View Post
    Having hand of guldan apply doom us worthless, as it limits either the amount of times doom actually procs, or the number of imps you summon. It will refresh doom, and doom isn't a dot, it's basicly a delayed reaction instant.
    Doom is a dot with 1 tick which works the same as any other dot with pandemic. Refreshing it extends the duration but the damage hits every 17 or so seconds

Quote Originally Posted by Time Sage View Post
    This is actually not true at all. When you cast hand of guldan to apply doom, or apply doom manually for that matter, it does not reset the tick/delay the tick. It simply adds the duration of another doom on top of your old doom (pandemic still applies, so you cant have more than 30% of your normal doom duration). If your old doom was going to go off in another 2 seconds, it is still going to go off in the next 2 seconds, and then one final time when the newly added duration expires. There is a limit to how often this happens, so yes 3 hands of guldan hitting a single target does not necessarily mean your doom is going to tick 3 times, just that it will grant you a full duration doom plus some of the old duration from pandemic. It depends on how far apart you spaced the hand of guldan casts and what your haste is. Your haste is what determines when it will tick (20 sec vs 14 sec). So you can sit there and spam doom on a target dummy and press nothing else, and you are still going to observe doom ticking every 14 secs (if that's how much haste you have).

Hand of doom does not negatively impact an existing doom on the target whatsoever.
    Last edited by last1214; 2016-08-12 at 09:24 PM. Reason: clarification

Demonology is extremely predictable. Really not that difficult.

I mostly just struggle with balancing summon dreadstalkers, hand of guldan for lots of imps, when to use DE, and also trying to throw in Implosion

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe you struggle with more than just playing Demonology.

Quote Originally Posted by Zevoa View Post
    Maybe you struggle with more than just playing Demonology.
    #stoptheprune
    Shadow | Warlock | Druid
    <Encore>
    Twitter | YouTube | Twitch
    Streaming and recording all Legion progress, Shadow / Warlock PoV

10+ Year Old Account
    I just hate doom. Make it corruption and let someone pick doom in the talents if they want it. I don't like having a dot that wont even do anything until 15 secs later. in solo content, they are already dead long before that point.

Deleted
    OP you might want to add a "u" to difficult.
    On topic: I'd say it can be more frustrating to play optimal than difficult, although depending on the circumstance.

On single target its fairly straight forward with Doom tick shard generation being the only tricky part.
    On multiple targets tracking several Doom (and not over-generating shards), Darkglare and optimal use of Implosion can be far more challenging.
    For easier gameplay there are lots of passive-type talents such as GoSup, Improved Dreadstalker, Hand of Doom etc. It'll suck for AoE though.

Overall what really bothers me most is that how static and busy we are, if demonic empowerment could be used while moving then it would be a lot easier to manage and feel less immobile... I would also like to get rid of mana tap as we're busy enough as it is, destro doesn't have to worry about that anymore.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's pretty damn easy, really, what's so difficult about it? I'd go ahead and say it is the easiest because not only it's straightforward, but you also don't have any "advanced" mechanics like Havoc, Shadowburn or Soul Effigy - things that cause most of the players to stumble over their feet for some reason.

Hard isn't the right word to describe Demonology spec, "Frantic" is.
    I found myself spamming abilities in so much speed that it made me want to kill myself.
    Rotation is retarded to boot. Keep doom active at all times - Summon pet, buff pet, summon second pet, buff pet, summon another pet, buff pet. Repeat.
    The summon spells doesnt last for long, empowerment is on no cooldown which means you spam the shit out of it pretty much all the time - it's even worse the BM Hunters.
    Horrible spec in my opinion, great fantasy and extremely poor execution.

7+ Year Old Account
    yeah... i feel like the spec is allmost better without doom, because of dooms random procs of extra soul shards (as i would need a WA to track when the tick is coming) makes it super annoying..

the rotation without doom is fine, and abit frantic but not bad, but with doom proccing at random times (yes i know its ever y15 seconds but the dot doesent make that easy to tell) it makes it super annoying when you get your 5th shard, then doom ticks...
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

Quote Originally Posted by fallenheaven View Post
    OP you might want to add a "u" to difficult.
    If spelling could get you held back i'd still be in the 5th grade.

-------Update---------

I changed the title in my first post but the main thread title is still misspelled. I'm not sure how to change/correct that.
    Last edited by last1214; 2016-08-13 at 06:41 PM. Reason: Update

I find Destro to be harder to play, since Destro sucks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    yeah... i feel like the spec is allmost better without doom, because of dooms random procs of extra soul shards (as i would need a WA to track when the tick is coming) makes it super annoying..

the rotation without doom is fine, and abit frantic but not bad, but with doom proccing at random times (yes i know its ever y15 seconds but the dot doesent make that easy to tell) it makes it super annoying when you get your 5th shard, then doom ticks...
    Get Doom Shards addon, it will show you when you are about to get extra shards from doom ticking.

It's the kind of spec with a high skillfloor and when you reach it there is not much room for improvement, just like arcane was in 6.2, it's only a hard spec for people who don't know how to use weakauras and/or have basic knowledge of the game, when you've everything set up it's kind of an autopilot spec

More boring than difficult.