Page 1 of 9
... LastLast

Illidan in Legion looks like a fanfiction character

He is definitely not the same Illidan from the Frozen Throne and TBC. His character changes over time ofc, the things happen to him gives his character arcs, but this? :

"They will stop at nothing to destroy our world... and we will sacrifice everything to save it." Isn't that what Malfurion does? Illidan sacrifices himself to save the world, not the world itself. That's not his mindset.

It's a single line of dialogue

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Felpacino View Post
    He is definitely not the same Illidan from the Frozen Throne and TBC. His character changes over time ofc, the things happen to him gives his character arcs, but this? :

"They will stop at nothing to destroy our world... and we will sacrifice everything to save it." Isn't that what Malfurion does? Illidan sacrifices himself to save the world, not the world itself. That's not his mindset.
    Illidan has always been the: do everything i can to save the world no matter the concequences. Try and look cool in front of Tyrande while doing this.

Malfurion has always been:
    nature nature nature, sleep, my girl, fuck u bro, save the world but only my way.

Illidan was all about personal sacrifice for Azeroth in the warcraft games. TBC butchered his character and turned him into a generic bad guy.

Illidan's the pragmatic brother, Malfurion's the idealist.

Blizzard wanted to give Illidan a redemption, here we go, now he's the good guy.

Deleted
    In the demon hunter cinematic Illidan sounds like a gay vampire.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmilblick View Post
    Blizzard wanted to give Illidan a redemption, here we go, now he's the good guy.
    He will do anything to save azeroth and thats just how he is. If there is redemption in that its because his bro and ex finally got their eyes open tbf

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TOOLDOOG View Post
    In the demon hunter cinematic Illidan sounds like a gay vampire.
    Maybe cut down a bit on the twilight movies there bro.

You guys asked for him to return, now here he is. Did you really not expect for him to become a fanfiction character?

Im going with TBC wasn't really planned out story wise. They needed a cool raid boss and they had Illidan thats what happened. No one really complained about TBCs story because, the people who got to go through it were raiders not some stupid roleplayers. Raiders don't really care about story they care about content and TBCs content was hard enough that no one cared that the story sucked.

The whole expansion is fanservice, what do you expect. They made Illidan into Revan, saviour of all and everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerevar View Post
    The whole expansion is fanservice, what do you expect. They made Illidan into Revan, saviour of all and everything.
    I haven't played SWTOR and KOTOR 2, but i played KOTOR 1. Revan's canon arc was the point of the story. A very strong Sith Lord, turns into a Jedi Knight. Reversed Vader.

A badass villain turns good is a well liked redemption story, but if they change his core character -I'm not talking about his alignment- , then it's not the same character anymore. This Illidan, is not the Illidan we knew. Revan was the same Revan at the end of KOTOR 1. I can't talk for the other Old Republic games tho.

The point of Revan was that he fell to the dark side(demonic essence), conquered it and then reverted back to light(light here as well, if you know the spoilers). He was also the person of prophecies, just as Illidan is as the child of both light and fel or darkness.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Raamm View Post
    Im going with TBC wasn't really planned out story wise. They needed a cool raid boss and they had Illidan thats what happened. No one really complained about TBCs story because, the people who got to go through it were raiders not some stupid roleplayers. Raiders don't really care about story they care about content and TBCs content was hard enough that no one cared that the story sucked.
    Hahahaha, this is sooo far from reality. They created Illidan's story arc very thoroughly in TBC, they even said a couple of times that they focused on Illidan and Black Temple too much. And don't say raiders don't care about lore ... I've been a raider and a lore fan since WarCraft 2 and TBC was very on point when it comes to Illidan. He was never the ultimate bad guy, obviously, but rarely someone is ... the way they want to redeem Illidan now is the way they could redeem almost any WarCraft character, even the Lich King could've been redeemed like this.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurgath View Post
    Hahahaha, this is sooo far from reality. They created Illidan's story arc very thoroughly in TBC, they even said a couple of times that they focused on Illidan and Black Temple too much. And don't say raiders don't care about lore ... I've been a raider and a lore fan since WarCraft 2 and TBC was very on point when it comes to Illidan. He was never the ultimate bad guy, obviously, but rarely someone is ... the way they want to redeem Illidan now is the way they could redeem almost any WarCraft character, even the Lich King could've been redeemed like this.
    If you have been a fan since wc2 you would know that Illidan has never been a true bad guy

Quote Originally Posted by Snorlax View Post
    Illidan was always the good guy. If anything TBC Illidan was a massive lorelol fuckup of epic proportions.

This is Blizzard trying to fix their fuckup.
    TBC was not lore fuckup we just did not care to see it through his eyes and hear his opinion. We basically chimped out like BLM protesters and killed him

10+ Year Old Account
    go and read the Illidan book pls thx bye.
    ...Le Poète est semblable au prince des nuées
    Qui hante la tempête e se rit de l'archer;
    Exilé sul le sol au milieu des huées,
    Ses ailes de géant l'empêchent de marcher.

Charles Baudelaire

Quote Originally Posted by Raamm View Post
    "Raiders don't really care about story." Almost everyone cares about the story, not only roleplayers. I'm a PvPer, but I care about the story. Story is what makes you not get bored. What if raids didn't have a good story or any story at all? It would be an arcade game which has no story worth in it. That would suck. Warcraft franchise is known for it's good lore. If they wouldn't have a good lore, then Blizz wouldn't be that successful.

Warcraft 3's success doesn't come from Dota or other custom games. It wasn't because of it's multiplayer either. It was because of it's campaign. Starcraft is famous because of it's multiplayer. Although SC had a very good story too.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Akta View Post
    go and read the Illidan book pls thx bye.
    I didn't read it, but that book wasn't written 10 yrs ago. It was written when they were writing Legion. So, Illidan is the same in the book as he is in Legion. In both, he is not the same as he was before.

If you think that is bad, cringeworthy fan fiction, just wait until you're introduced to Xe'ra.

fanfiction as in opposed to what?

the irl illidan that drops by from time to time from his flying castle?