Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    For me, the decisive part in Gul'dan development was in the Audio play, the last part I think, where he want from a average power-angry loner vilain to a guy that understand being strong but alone will kill him soon enough. With the power of the tomb, he was way stronger then khadgar and Maeiv but with their combine effort, they were able to counter his attacks. He then saw how we hero would get him pretty easily with 10+ on him. He then gave part of that power back to active the portal and become a "leader" of the legion. It worked pretty well so far for him but I can't wait to kick his ass, I really hope he go down with a boom.
    MMO-Champion, once the place to get WoW News, now the home of the haters and their clickbait and doomsaying threads

LK (Ner'Zhul) and DK Arthas were amazing in WC3, but Arthas LK in WotLK was the worst villain in the entire history of WoW.

The development of Gul'Dan over the last expansion and what he's getting in Legion, shits all over Arthas. Lei Shen was a good villain up until the actual fight in ToT.
    They're (short for They are) describes a group of people. "They're/They are a nice bunch of guys." Their indicates that something belongs/is related to a group of people. "Their car was all out of fuel." There refers to a location. "Let's set up camp over there." There is also no such thing as "could/should OF". The correct way is: Could/should'VE, or could/should HAVE.
    Holyfury armory

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ThrashMetalFtw View Post
    LK (Ner'Zhul) and DK Arthas were amazing in WC3, but Arthas LK in WotLK was the worst villain in the entire history of WoW.

The development of Gul'Dan over the last expansion and what he's getting in Legion, shits all over Arthas. Lei Shen was a good villain up until the actual fight in ToT.
    I wouldn't personally say the worst, I think that falls on Deathwing, they seriously shafted how scheming the Black Dragons are with him. Like holy crap, even Nefarian was more badass.

But for Arthas, Idk how to explain it, I didn't like how...passive he was? like more ''hey it's you again'', he was in WoTLK. Instead of seeing him commanding legions upon legions of undead, he kinda just didn't do anything until we Raided ICC? Apperantly he was testing us? Yeah ok bro.

That's something I also liked and appeciated about Gul'dan, hes not so full of himself to think he can take on literally the entire world, as shown in the audio drama, thats a rarity that not many villains in WoW have.
    Last edited by Shampro; 2016-08-14 at 02:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shampro View Post
    I wouldn't personally say the worst, I think that falls on Deathwing, they seriously shafted how scheming the Black Dragons are with him. Like holy crap, even Nefarian was more badass.

But for Arthas, Idk how to explain it, I didn't like how...passive he was? like more ''hey it's you again'', he was in WoTLK. Instead of seeing him commanding legions upon legions of undead, he kinda just didn't do anything until we Raided ICC? Apperantly he was testing us? Yeah ok bro.

That's something I also liked and appeciated about Gul'dan, hes not so full of himself to think he can take on literally the entire world, as shown in the audio drama, thats a rarity that not many villains in WoW have.
    Yes he was letting us kill all of his dudes and ruin his plans because he was testing us to see if we were worthy of being his greatest army.
    And then i shit you not at the end tirion and friends say there is no way we could defeat the scourge if they all just run rampant without a leader holding them back so there was 0 reason for arthas to even think about us he already had his super strong army... I dont know why people keep saying it was such a good story...

Teleports right into ToC and lets us kill anub'arak instead of i dont know attacking the coliseum that is in a terrible location... like right next to the valley of millions of dead scourge and just killing everyone there to bolster his army and reclaim ashbringer since there would be 0 way to defend there. Instead nope taunt us and let us kill anub'arak... totally the same arthas as WC3

"There must always be a LK" was the pinnacle of stupidity. If the LK died, the remaining Undead should have regained their will and become Forsaken, seeing that's exactly what happened in WC3. But no, Blizz loves their inconsistency.

"Demons transcend alternate timelines" was one of their biggest lorerapes, but "There must always be a LK" is still their worst offense.
    They're (short for They are) describes a group of people. "They're/They are a nice bunch of guys." Their indicates that something belongs/is related to a group of people. "Their car was all out of fuel." There refers to a location. "Let's set up camp over there." There is also no such thing as "could/should OF". The correct way is: Could/should'VE, or could/should HAVE.
    Holyfury armory

The Lich King is a manipulative figure.What if "there must always be a Lk" is just his plan for survival if he end up losing.

After all,in Rise of the Lich King he sees Frostmourne clashing with Ashbringer.What if he did break Bolvar and was in the Frozen throne in case he failed?Make it look so that Lich king is now Bolvar and is friendly to Azeroth.Make everyone believe the Scourge has been defeated.

And they all belived.

Remember,the LK deceived the Deceiver what makes you think he would not be able to do the same with a renegade Paladin that just came out the shadows.

Don't believe me?

Go play the Dk storylines in Legion or Watch it in Youtube and tell me what 'Bolvar' is doing to defeat the Legion.

Quote Originally Posted by Phuongvi View Post
    this.

Guldan's just another orc Warlord. And I think I speak for alot of people when I say ¨We¨have enough of orcs.

The ¨new¨ Gul'dan, I don't think he's got much than any other Heroic 5 men's boss, he's cliché paper thin character.

I just don't see why he's got alot of spotlight since WoD, the movie and Legion. Sure he's one of the most evil guy in WoW, ( in the movie with durotan and Varian Killing blow). Look at me i'm very very evil rawwwrrr

Greatest ? Nah not even close.

Thats one of the guy I wish I would never see coming back
    Gul'Dan boring compared to who.

Go on

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ji-tae View Post
    I don't understand why he is so powerful. He looks pretty weak
    Thats what his original Village thought.

They are pretty dead now for thinking that.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkguyver2020 View Post
    I've only ever quested in Outland once and that was over 8 years ago when I was levelling up my brand new Death Knight at the start of Wrath. So I can be forgiven for not remembering. I would quest through it again as a refresher, but the Outland content is outdated and so horribly dull compared to more recent questing content that I just don't have the will to do it again.

And please note. I said that Gul'dan is the greatest "WoW" villain. I haven't played the original Warcraft games. I've never enjoyed playing Strategy games like Starcraft.
    Even if he is a copypasta of his earlier portrayals, he is certainly a step up from a lot of the previous big bads that we have thwarted throughout the MMO's lifespan.
    Then don't make such claims if you can't back 'em up.

Man, I just want to go super saiyan already and fuck friezas face up....oh wait....I forgot....eesh. Umm, forget what i said. Here's what i ment to say.
    I cannot wait to go super MORTAL and fight gul'dan.....too late?! Ok...

Deleted
    I agree. He is almost on par with arthas, and he is going to get carried through much more so then arthas was. The ending of Wrath was boring imo.

You are going to get a lot of flag from haters on this site though.

You literally cant like anything in wow withotu attracting people who will whine about it

Quote Originally Posted by Evassac View Post
    When he enters the tomb and Khadgar is fighting him (that is why he is not there at the other side of the broken shore same as with the wardens) he needs to destroy crystals that the burning legion in the past had placed there for a inmense portal to open to Azeroth. He destroy's the seals and the power that was slumbering here to open up the way gets flown in to Gul'dan. He becomes insanely powerful, able to (no bs) one finger flick Khadgar and Maiev away and keep them at bay.

But he starts to question his own believes in order to keep that power and eventually turns it back to Kil'jaeden who then opens the portal. In doing so Gul'dan gets a glimpse of the Legion's homeworld and sees Kil'jaeden sitting on a throne. He then feels the trust Kil'jaeden now has placed in him and grants him even more power.
    I really liked how they played that out. It was cool seeing the thought behind Gul'dan's loyalty... being all like "As powerful as I am now I'm still just one, and these Azeroth assholes are never going to fucking give up." Nice to see how a lore bad guy see's our characters lol.

Quote Originally Posted by DeicideUH View Post
    I'm still waiting for him to declare himself "Darkness Incarnate", as the original did.

But yeah, Gul'dan has been an awesome villain. Unfortunately, I'm afraid he will be dead by the end of this patch (he's the final boss in Nighthold raid). I think they should make him survive, disappear for a time then return as the big bad of a future expansion.
    Eh. We already had him dodging us at every turn in WOD only to escape in the end and then play a big part in starting Legion and being the end boss of a raid tier. If they keep him around for much after that I fear he'll either get stale, suffer villain decay or just not get as good of a send off as being a raid tier final boss.

Quote Originally Posted by ccombustable View Post
    I really liked how they played that out. It was cool seeing the thought behind Gul'dan's loyalty... being all like "As powerful as I am now I'm still just one, and these Azeroth assholes are never going to fucking give up." Nice to see how a lore bad guy see's our characters lol.
    That was CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT!

It was awesome because like.

How would you react the whole audio was like really surreal.

He had immense power but hes just one guy.
    Cordona and the Legion has already informed him what the mortals can do. hell he SAW the mortals kill Archimonde.
    he knew the legion betrayed and killed him we get to hear him converse with Kil'jaeden about it.

And Gul'dan GAVE up power for position. Learning from mistakes that killed the his alternate self. Even if his soul is destroyed in nighthold.

The Mark Gul'Dan left on Azeroth and the events set in motion are on a cosmic scale. He held the fate of the universe in his hand and he chose for it to burn.

He truely has finally earned his self proclaimed title of Darkness incarnate now.

Quote Originally Posted by Archibalde View Post
    See, to me that's exactly why I find him to be a poorly written villain. Why is destroying everything so important to him and what is he getting out of it? All you ever really know is that he wants power, they don't really expand on what he wants to do with all that power. He's evil for the sake of being evil, and that's pretty boring. I prefer when there's a motive. Illidan might have been "generic" but he had a cause. His actions were all supposed to lead him to a goal, morals be damned.

Arthas was an amazing villain because there was a great story being told. He started out as a hero trying to save his people and ended up being one of the greatest threat his people ever faced. There's something very tragic and ironic about his story, but it's also hard to feel too bad for him because he was arrogant and over-zealous as well. His thirst for revenge consumed him and he made questionable moral choices that lead up to him becoming a Death Knight.

Gul'dan is one-dimensional. They add a lot to his story, but they don't develop the character itself. He's bad because he's just bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Creamy Flames View Post
    Yeah I don't get that either. He was bullied and cast out and now he wants to be the bully and kill everyone? I don't get it. When he talks to Varian he says he wants to destroy his enemies. Well Gul'dan, if you weren't trying to kill them first they wouldn't be your enemies.
    It's more than he just wants to be a bully, and the killing everyone has more to do with who he serves. But basically, now that Gul'dan has tasted real power, he is 100% determined to never be under someone else's boot ever again. So as long as there is someone more powerful than him, he will seek to gain more power. Serving the Legion is his shortcut to that power, which atm puts him under kil'jeadon, but he has no desire to stay there and certainly see's himself as better than any of the other servants.

You can think of it a lot like Sylvanas' taste of true death, an experience so traumatizing that she is 100% determined to find a way to never die again. I haven't played the beta but I'm going to guess that she is far more interested in the Val'kyr peoples than in finding the Pillars of Creation she's supposed to be there for.

What's the difference between Gul'dan and Socrethar?

Literally that one can't die as easily?

And when I see the name Sylvanas, I'm literally at the point where I realize the only "real" villains are the ones who don't die.

I find this ironic since even though Arthas was all about being undead, we definitely planned on killing him and knew it could be done, and that has made him all the greater a villain than these trolling no-die spirits.

Quote Originally Posted by Phuongvi View Post
    this.

Guldan's just another orc Warlord. And I think I speak for alot of people when I say ¨We¨have enough of orcs.

The ¨new¨ Gul'dan, I don't think he's got much than any other Heroic 5 men's boss, he's cliché paper thin character.

I just don't see why he's got alot of spotlight since WoD, the movie and Legion. Sure he's one of the most evil guy in WoW, ( in the movie with durotan and Varian Killing blow). Look at me i'm very very evil rawwwrrr

Greatest ? Nah not even close.

Thats one of the guy I wish I would never see coming back
    In the movie it's simple. Gul'dan was the one running the horde at that point in time. Sure, having him leading in the open was a way of simplifying the lore for people not familiar with WoW lore, but NOT having Gul'dan in that role in the movie wouldn't make much sense.

As for WoD, I think it's because of the complaints of orc fatigue combined with the player base having a positive reception to him in particular over the other warlords. Plus his Harbringer video and the audio drama help to, while perhaps not make him a fully 3 dimensional character, at least add some depth and help us get into his head some. He's also just one orc, and one who has nothing to do with mainstream orc warrior culture that we got tired of in 5.3 to 6.0.

In Legion, he's also the bridge between the expansions for better or worse, so it makes sense to actually use him while he's around instead of discarding him quickly like they did with Garrosh. And for a lot of people finally cornering him in Suramar and stomping him will be a satisfying experience.

Man, who else just wants to so Super saiyan (As in this case, super mortal), and shit on gul'dans parade. And then, AGES AND AGES later, we defeat Sargeras as Super Mortal Gods, Or Beyond....AKA Super Mortal TITANGODS!

Guldan's activities, both AU and original put the other mortal villains to shame. Even Arthas. (Guldan actually succeeded in completely ruining his planet and didnt even stop there)

The dude died and still managed to manipulate Nerzhul (through his skull) into performing a measure that made the planet blow up.

He's one of those dudes who the legion would be ecstatic (in their own way) to recruit. His Original self considered himself too cool for school for even them and paid for it. The AU one was shown that faith and why it happened, but i assure you he'll do the same the moment he gets the chance, he'll just be more careful.

His motivation is power and whoever can offer him the most till he can outsmart them and take it for himself. He'd be more than happy to reach sargaras levels of power and tried as much.
    Last edited by Tenjen; 2016-08-14 at 07:53 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I completely agree. I really disliked Gul'dan, but after Broken Shore scenario I simply hate him. Really well developed. Can't wait to kill him.

Gul'dan is lame. You barely see him doing anything at all. He just goes through entire WoD offering "drinks" to certain orc characters, yeah such a great lore. He is far from being one of the greatest villains his story is very poorly developed.