Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Idea for changing Combustion

Ok, so I just got my first mage to max level today and switched to Fire. The current Combustion is kinda boring and all it does it give you guaranteed Pyroblast procs as well as some extra tick damage.

My idea is to make it so the crit and mastery bonus it gives you is either less or completely nonexistant and instead... Make Fireball an instacast spell that you can spam on the gcd.

I think this would make Combustion a lot more fun because it makes your burst phase different from your regular rotation and it makes you really feel like you're on fire like you're just spamming the shit out of fireball and you're like "cmon cmon crit you son of a bitch" but everything's so much faster like you're an insane pyromaniac which I feel really fits the class fantasy of "engulfing yourself in flames" as the tooltip for combustion says.

EDIT: also it would make sense if Flamestrike could proc Heating Up off crits like Pyroblast does so you can get Flamestrike chains
    Last edited by Alexanderjac; 2016-08-15 at 02:20 AM.

You know, the current Combustion allows you to spam Pyro every GC...

Who cares about Fire Ball? It hits like wet noodle.

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by HTowN View Post
    You know, the current Combustion allows you to spam Pyro every GC...

Who cares about Fire Ball? It hits like wet noodle.
    So should I feel bad when Fireball is my second highest source of damage or is that more a matter of having low crit or wasting Pyro procs by delaying them because Fireball is halfway through casting?
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

Quote Originally Posted by Triggered Fridgekin View Post
    So should I feel bad when Fireball is my second highest source of damage or is that more a matter of having low crit or wasting Pyro procs by delaying them because Fireball is halfway through casting?
    I think you are having low crit. Pyro and ignite should be your highest sources of dmg.

Generally, you don't cancel a fireball cast to use your instant Pyro. Let it go through and use your instant Pyro right after. If both crit, you have 1 more instant Pyro. If just 1 crit, use Fire Blast (FB) to proc an instant Pyro. If none crit, well, bad RNG... But don't delay the instant Pyro long. You want to keep FB on 1.5 charges.

Ofc there will be situations where you want to cancel your fireball cast, but let not go into that here.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexanderjac View Post
    Make Fireball an instacast spell that you can spam on the gcd.
    I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say you don't fully understand how this class and cooldown works. Forget fireball, Combustion lets you PYROBLAST every GCD.

Deleted
    Current Combustion is just fine - play with it more (making assumption after few hours is not a good idea). And your problem is low crit chance.

10+ Year Old Account
    > Mage community complain for years to make combustion a real offensive cooldown
    > Finally Blizzard changes it a visually pleasing, fun and powerful cooldown that makes you actually feel like a Master Fire Mage
    > Mage community now finds it boring
    > MFW LUL

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Torian kel View Post
    > Mage community complain for years to make combustion a real offensive cooldown
    > Finally Blizzard changes it a visually pleasing, fun and powerful cooldown that makes you actually feel like a Master Fire Mage
    > MFW LUL
    And "mage community" is always the same group of players? Your logic if flawless! Nobody cares what loud minority wants.

7+ Year Old Account
    Well you're in the prepatch. On beta you can cast like 9 pyros back to back with combustion and honor talents/artifact ability.
    Which for me is more fun then the old combustion was.

Deleted
    Spec into Flame On and you are pretty much guaranteed Pyroclast chaining during Combustion.

the only change needed for combustion now is to make undispelable just like majority of other classes dmg cds.

Deleted
    That's unacceptable for PvP and I don't know why that would be interesting for PvE (not that I say the current version is that versatile).

Bring back old combustion I say!!!

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by klaps_05 View Post
    the only change needed for combustion now is to make undispelable just like majority of other classes dmg cds.
    Yup, you can hurt a fire mage pretty badly if you are on point on the dispels.

Quote Originally Posted by heispeik View Post
    Bring back old combustion I say!!!
    Old Combustion or the old old Combustion? Cata-wod combustion can stay in the depths of hell. Current combustion is Wrath's combustion on steroids and other enhancing drugs.

Deleted
    Current combustion is awesome and easier to balance. Keep it like this.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Torian kel View Post
    > MFW LUL
    Meanwhile over at the Warlocks, everyone is fucking pissed they took our Ember build-up look and gave Mages a cooler version of it >.<

Quote Originally Posted by Lokrei View Post
    Current combustion is awesome and easier to balance. Keep it like this.
    This is literally the best version of combustion we have ever had. Absolutely zero reason to change it.

Why would OP rather fish for crits from instant fireballs instead of guaranteed crits from whatever spell is cast? :|

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fayolynn View Post
    This is literally the best version of combustion we have ever had. Absolutely zero reason to change it.

Why would OP rather fish for crits from instant fireballs instead of guaranteed crits from whatever spell is cast? :|
    Rift's Fire mage have a combustion that is this, instant fireballs, but they also have like three others CD's. Maybe OP got his idea from there? In any case, I'm with you, this combustion is the best form since it's implementation

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fayolynn View Post
    Absolutely zero reason to change it.
    It's a very predictable spell, very closed to interpretation, the rotation during it is almost always perfectly identical to the last time. This of course does fit perfectly with the Artifact system of soft-gating people into specs because they don't want novel or niche or imbalanced/weird specs now. But, I do see them easily removing it next expansion.