Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by JacquesPierre View Post
    Where do you think mcdonalds actually pays minimum wage, and to whom do you think they pay it?
    it's not just about minimum wage. if you make 50 cents or a buck more an hour it doesn't really solve any problems.

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeJoe View Post
    Wasn't a bank. It's a quote from Donald Trump about when he became an adult. His father "gave him a small loan of a million dollars"
    Fair enough. I figured there was a small chance that is what you were referring to but you didnt actually quote Trump, at least not in a way that made it clear you were doing so. In his case I think it actually was 6 million. And yes, it was because he was the son of a very wealthy who loaned it to him, so what. So your point was that eople with money shouldnt be able to decide who to give/loan it to o what to spend it on? Ostensibly you have an equal chance to receive and education and to try and achieve your goals. Others also have the choice of whether or not they want to help you. The person you you quoted is still correct. You have the ability to try and go to UPenn, to try and make a shit load of real estate. Others are more successful and came from less that Trump. You are pointing out that Trumps outcome is different though.

Yes, no starting points are identical. People from more successful familys who get better educations and have stronger gene pools have an advsntsge, but that is a caricature of the point. If everyone is provided with the tools to help themselves, then the goal has been accomplished.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Tax evasion is illegal, and offshore bank accounts and various other ways of avoiding paying taxes on the money you make should be against the law.
    "Should" and "are" are not the same thing. Also evasion is illegal because it means you will not pay taxes on earned income. Deferring is not illegal though because you will pay tax at a future date when you take possession of the income.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by JacquesPierre View Post
    Fair enough. I figured there was a small chance that is what you were referring to but you didnt actually quote Trump, at least not in a way that made it clear you were doing so. In his case I think it actually was 6 million. And yes, it was because he was the son of a very wealthy who loaned it to him, so what. So your point was that eople with money shouldnt be able to decide who to give/loan it to o what to spend it on? Ostensibly you have an equal chance to receive and education and to try and achieve your goals. Others also have the choice of whether or not they want to help you. The person you you quoted is still correct. You have the ability to try and go to UPenn, to try and make a shit load of real estate. Others are more successful and came from less that Trump. You are pointing out that Trumps outcome is different though.

Yes, no starting points are identical. People from more successful familys who get better educations and have stronger gene pools have an advsntsge, but that is a caricature of the point. If everyone is provided with the tools to help themselves, then the goal has been accomplished.

So you really believe a person that comes from a family making about 20-30k a year, can get into the same colleges as a person from 100k+?

My god man just stop... You're embarrassing yourself.

So you really believe a person that comes from a family making about 20-30k a year, can get into the same colleges as a person from 100k+?

My god man just stop... You're embarrassing yourself.
    Do I think they all can? No, but they do, so I'm not really embarrassing anything.

Also those incomes are completely arbitrary. 100k and lives where? What school does the kid go to? how smart is the kid?

If you think that going to a good school is about being in the right high school and not about being smart, you are wrong. I was in the right high school and I knew a lot of kids who struggled to get into good colleges. I also knew a lot of kids who went to very good colleges. The determinant was being smart, not income.

Also, I just saw which part of my previous post you highlighted. You might want to look up what "ostensibly" means.
    Last edited by BannedForViews; 2016-08-16 at 04:10 AM.

We have equal chances huh.....

Where was my "small loan of a million dollars". Holt shit someone really got you stuck on their kool-aid didn't they.

And no I'm not asking for equal outcomes. I'm perfectly fine with people making millions. What I'm not ok with is leaving people in poverty because of stupid idea that thats how it should be
    Meh. You must subscribe to the illuminati crap. People live in poverty because they choose to. Unless there's a gun to their head telling them to stay where they are, nothing is holding them back from success but themselves.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinpachi View Post
    Meh. You must subscribe to the illuminati crap. People live in poverty because they choose to. Unless there's a gun to their head telling them to stay where they are, nothing is holding them back from success but themselves.
    For someone being dismissive of wild conspiracy theories, you're espousing one yourself that no sociologist or economist worth a darn would agree with.

Economic success in the modern world is not a meritocracy. If it were, you'd never find someone working at a low-end job like wait staff who "makes it" and becomes a movie star or pop singer, because their merit would have guaranteed their success before they ever got stuck working that job. It's primarily luck and networking. And "networking" is something that's much, much easier for people whose parents have existing connections.

Wasn't a bank. It's a quote from Donald Trump about when he became an adult. His father "gave him a small loan of a million dollars"
    omfg the jealousy is finally unveiled. Why do you give a shit what trump's dad did for his son? stop worrying about wtf other people have and improve yourself, by yourself. you don't have a millionaire dad? too bad so sad, fuckin deal with it and stop bitching. Go earn your own million, you'll feel so much better about yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by kneehidude View Post
    After a while, the workload is too much. Yet maybe the company is not big enough to pay out the nose. I mean, I'm not suggesting they should be able to pay slave wages. But demanding $15/hour or something along those lines from a company trying to get started is a little unreasonable.
    Do you even know where the whole $15/hr came from? The minimum wage in 1968, adjusted for inflation is a little over $10/hr. If you also adjust for increased productivity, it comes out to over $20/hr. The middle ground is $15. If a company can't handle starting off with a $15/hr min wage, they should not be in business.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    For someone being dismissive of wild conspiracy theories, you're espousing one yourself that no sociologist or economist worth a darn would agree with.

Economic success in the modern world is not a meritocracy. If it were, you'd never find someone working at a low-end job like wait staff who "makes it" and becomes a movie star or pop singer, because their merit would have guaranteed their success before they ever got stuck working that job. It's primarily luck and networking.
    lol. not totally. the phrase "it's not what you know, but who you know and how you treat them holds some water for getting in the door, but you still gotta put the work in once you're there in order to keep that place.

omfg the jealousy is finally unveiled. Why do you give a shit what trump's dad did for his son? stop worrying about wtf other people have and improve yourself, by yourself. you don't have a millionaire dad? too bad so sad, fuckin deal with it and stop bitching. Go earn your own million, you'll feel so much better about yourself.
    You completely miss the point. Someone like Trump who brags how he "made it", does not want to acknowledge the breaks that he received in life over others. This happens quite often here in MMO posts. People LOVE giving their anecdotal story. As if every person lives the exact same life.

10+ Year Old Account
    lol. not totally. the phrase "it's not what you know, but who you know and how you treat them holds some water for getting in the door, but you still gotta put the work in once you're there in order to keep that place.
    So you've admitted that it's not a meritocracy, and that the wealthy have advantages due to their class, contradicting your prior statement.

Yes, you could get fired for being incompetent, but baseline competency isn't a spectacularly difficult feat to accomplish. The banker's son is gonna have a much easier time getting into good colleges and getting into banking themselves than an equally-smart and equally-dedicated son of a single mom working as a meat packer.

Now, if you want to get into meat packing, he's probably got some advantages there, but the point is that banking's gonna be a lot more lucrative than meat packing.

The median income in the U.S., with adjust inflation has not risen in over past 30 years. So those people are not working hard?

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank...d-for-decades/

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Blur4stuff View Post
    mcdonalds could easily raise wages without having to charge $30 for a burger
    Only crap people work in crap businesses though.

The people who work there would lose the money somehow anyway.

Well... yeah. That's the point. To drive the demand side of the economy, which has been severely lagging this past decade or so.
    OMG 13:37 - Then Jesus said to His disciples, "Cleave unto me, and I shall grant to thee the blessing of eternal salvation."

And His disciples said unto Him, "Can we get Kings instead?"

Quote Originally Posted by Shon237 View Post
    You completely miss the point. Someone like Trump who brags how he "made it", does not want to acknowledge the breaks that he received in life over others. This happens quite often here in MMO posts. People LOVE giving their anecdotal story. As if every person lives the exact same life.
    We all live different lives, so why be jealous? Be grateful for what you have. Want more? Go out and get it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    So you've admitted that it's not a meritocracy, and that the wealthy have advantages due to their class, contradicting your prior statement.

Yes, you could get fired for being incompetent, but baseline competency isn't a spectacularly difficult feat to accomplish. The banker's son is gonna have a much easier time getting into good colleges and getting into banking themselves than an equally-smart and equally-dedicated son of a single mom working as a meat packer.

Now, if you want to get into meat packing, he's probably got some advantages there, but the point is that banking's gonna be a lot more lucrative than meat packing.
    You're right. It's not a total meritocracy. I'd be ignorant to say nepotism doesn't exist, its all over Washington, and with the wealthy. But I don't necessarily view it as a bad thing unless their status was ill-gotten. Anything i may earn in my lifetime i'd want to pass on to my children. Leaving a legacy for your progeny so they don't have to struggle like you had to is part of the American dream. I can't speak for people in other countries. No matter what socioeconomic system one lives in there will always be those at the top, and those at the bottom. It's the biggest pyramid scheme around.