Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Evildeffy View Post
    http://phanteks.com/Enthoo-MiniXL-DS.html

This is the case, Phanteks Enthoo Mini XL DS (note the DS point) ... with it you have space for a MicroATX and Mini-ITX build as well as a pre-installed power splitter that will allow for a single PSU to power 2 systems.
    If Canada does not have this specific DS pre-set case than you can get the Mini XL and buy from Phanteks the Mini-ITX kit as well as the power splitter.
    Phanteks Power Splitter
    Phanteks Enthoo Mini XL ITX Upgrade Kit

Mini-ITX builds (if you get a decent motherboard) will have WiFi integrated and there are enough MicroATX with that built-in as well.
    But the MicroATX will have space for a card as well so that's not a problem either.

Please note that this is a unique situation and it is convenient for space saving and clutter ... but I only just realized (having looked at some Canadian prices vs. our Euro prices) it might not be cheaper to attain unless you decide to take a trip to the US (anywhere in the US if you have a friend - quick Newegg check) to grab it for considerably cheaper... having said that .. the case choices you made prior are, and don't think I'm insulting you or anything, terrible as both cases are horrendous beyond reproach vs. the comparatively insane quality the Phanteks case delivers.
    Unfortunately I have no plans of visiting the US any time soon, and it doesn't appear that they sell the "DS" case or the kits, in any Canadian online store. This is a low budget build, I know the cases aren't high quality, they just need to contain the components. It's looking like if it's even possible to order the case/kits, it will tack on quite a bit more onto the cost. Thanks for the suggestion though.

EDIT: I managed to find the kit on amazon, but it's $66 and the splitter is $45 so with the $229 case, we're over $300. Rather than two cases and PSUs coming to $180

Hey I found it: https://www.amazon.ca/Phanteks-Entho...hanteks+enthoo

My two builds total is about $1340

The Phanteks case there from amazon is $342.

This list x2 is: $1132 + $342 = $1480.
    http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/v4B68K

More expensive and I havent picked a PSU yet.
    Last edited by Taurous; 2016-08-18 at 12:53 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Taurous View Post
    Unfortunately I have no plans of visiting the US any time soon, and it doesn't appear that they sell the "DS" case or the kits, in any Canadian online store. This is a low budget build, I know the cases aren't high quality, they just need to contain the components. It's looking like if it's even possible to order the case/kits, it will tack on quite a bit more onto the cost. Thanks for the suggestion though.

EDIT: I managed to find the kit on amazon, but it's $66 and the splitter is $45 so with the $229 case, we're over $300. Rather than two cases and PSUs coming to $180

Hey I found it: https://www.amazon.ca/Phanteks-Entho...hanteks+enthoo

My two builds total is about $1340

The Phanteks case there from amazon is $342.

This list x2 is: $1132 + $342 = $1480.
    http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/v4B68K

More expensive and I havent picked a PSU yet.
    Yeah I realized the prices later after seeing the price differences where in Newegg the DS variant sells for 230 CAD all inclusive.
    So you Canadians are getting ripped off like crazy... seems like you'll have to go for the crappier new cases.

But isn't Craigslist an option or something in Canada? You could find decent parts there probably for cheaper.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Evildeffy View Post
    Yeah I realized the prices later after seeing the price differences where in Newegg the DS variant sells for 230 CAD all inclusive.
    So you Canadians are getting ripped off like crazy... seems like you'll have to go for the crappier new cases.

But isn't Craigslist an option or something in Canada? You could find decent parts there probably for cheaper.
    Sadly no, I live in a small community and there are only three things on the computer section of Craigslist here, and travel cost $80 to go anywhere minimum due to being surrounded by ferries.

- - - Updated - - -

just found two Radeon HD 7950s for $100 each. Seems like a great deal

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Taurous View Post
    Sadly no, I live in a small community and there are only three things on the computer section of Craigslist here, and travel cost $80 to go anywhere minimum due to being surrounded by ferries.

- - - Updated - - -

just found two Radeon HD 7950s for $100 each. Seems like a great deal
    Well... that sucks.

Also not worth going for 7950s.. save up for new ones.

Deleted
    i5 6500 VS i5 4690 = i5 4690 wins ! somethimes older is better and perhaps cheaper!
    http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i...l-Core-i5-4690

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by axiom View Post
    i5 6500 VS i5 4690 = i5 4690 wins ! somethimes older is better and perhaps cheaper!
    http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i...l-Core-i5-4690
    http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare...500/2311vs3513

They are practically the same, however the 6500 is almost always ~20$ cheaper and it's also current gen (you know, like getting a ddr4 ram instead of a ddr3). If this was the opposite then yeah, maybe go for the older gen if you aren't planning to upgrade in the next 3 years or so.
    Last edited by hellhamster; 2016-08-19 at 01:57 PM.

Deleted
    ddr4 in praxis is not always faster in games. read an article about it. if you want a cheep pc to play games like wow i would go with 4690 and ddr3 because its simply faster... only a little bit, but its faster. you can get 4690 cpus on sales in local computer stores, because everyone wants skylake even if its not faster.
    that are my 2 cents. you can buy and build whatever you want sir.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by axiom View Post
    ddr4 in praxis is not always faster in games. read an article about it. if you want a cheep pc to play games like wow i would go with 4690 and ddr3 because its simply faster... only a little bit, but its faster. you can get 4690 cpus on sales in local computer stores, because everyone wants skylake even if its not faster.
    that are my 2 cents. you can buy and build whatever you want sir.
    6500 has basically the same speed as 4690 and you can get it ~20$ cheaper on 99% of markets. With 6500 you can run DDR4, with 4690 you are stuck with DDR3.

DDR4 RAM is basically the same price as DDR3, and it's even cheaper in most places because of stock availability. DDR4 RAM is faster overall. I don't know about DDR4 not being faster than DDR3 in games but I honestly doubt it as it has significantly higher clock speed.

Older != better + cheaper. I don't see the need to go for older architecture at all, considering that it's usually more expensive 99% of the time. If you got a sick deal on a 4690, then yeah, go for it obviously

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by hellhamster View Post

DDR4 RAM is basically the same price as DDR3, and it's even cheaper in most places because of stock availability. DDR4 RAM is faster overall. I don't know about DDR4 not being faster than DDR3 in games but I honestly doubt it as it has significantly higher clock speed.
    clockspeed is not everything for RAM. 2nd important point is timeing and timeing is better at ddr3.