Thread: LochteGate

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    False criminal accusations are pretty low.
    So he pissed on the outside wall of a gas station, how have they disproven the robbery story?
    Most people would rather die than think, and most people do. -Bertrand Russell
    Before the camps, I regarded the existence of nationality as something that shouldn’t be noticed - nationality did not really exist, only humanity. But in the camps one learns: if you belong to a successful nation you are protected and you survive. If you are part of universal humanity - too bad for you -Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by antelope591 View Post
    Young people? Lochte is 32....when will the boys will we boys excuse stop applying, after hes on social security?
    You forgot a few people.

Gunnar Bentz age 20
    Jack Conger age 21
    James Feigen age 26

Want to try again?

Opening a door that's lochte

7+ Year Old Account
    People are really upset around here about this whole Lochte thing.

Some people are already bringing up the 1907Gol Flight tragedy and comparing the possible impunity.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenonis View Post
    You forgot a few people.

Gunnar Bentz age 20
    Jack Conger age 21
    James Feigen age 26

Want to try again?
    The story is centered around Lochte, the one who fabricated the story. Even if he wasn't the one who came up the idea to make up the story he is seen as the spokesperson since he was the one who went on TV, since he is the most known, etc. 20 is still old enough to know better than going around crying wolf.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tradu View Post
    Doesn't make the term any less stupid or annoying. Just use the words controversy or scandal instead, looks much less like a Tumblr rant that way.
    Am I on trial?

I quoted and SI story and used the headline other outlets are using. Scandal sounds like a lovers' quarrel. Controversy, too wordy.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by Creamy Flames View Post
    Stop fucking calling everyhting Gate.
    Gategate, when will the madness end.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Lenonis View Post
    Young people being stupid. News at 11.

The only real news here is that they apparently lied to authorities. That is a crime and going to be a problem.

Wonder if the will have consequences from the IOC or whoever governs these things -- will medals be stripped? (I doubt it)
    They range from 20 to 32 years old. This isn't "young people being stupid". This is adults being fucking rejects deserving of charges/fines, medals removed and a swift kick in the teeth.

Also last I checked vandalism was also a crime as well. Not just lying to police.
    When in doubt. Derp it out.

Deleted
    Nah, I'm going to call it gate since - gate refers to a controversy/scandal.
    No it freaking doesn't! WHY NOT USE THE WORDS CONTROVERSY OR SCANDAL?! THEY'RE RIGHT THERE!

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrven View Post
    Gategate, when will the madness end.
    I can't wait until someone does a controversy/scandal about an alligator.
    GatorGate has a good ring to it.

on topic; this is the oldest trick in the book, as a privileged white person the very first thing you do is blame a poor minority for your actions, because everyone is willing to believe it because that narrative is already widespread.

They really don't even try to make a compelling story up because they correctly expect people will just accept their bullshit as truth.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ashley_Todd_mugging_hoax
    Last edited by Glnger; 2016-08-18 at 09:09 PM.
    It's been a while actually since I've received a message from scrapbot...need to drink more i guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by Butter Emails View Post
    Trump is a complete shitbag that's draining the country's coffers to stuff his own.
    It must be a day ending in Y.

7+ Year Old Account
    To people saying it's a pointless story. It gives a bad image to brasil more so than they need, which is not helped by the attitude of many in the internet (Brazilians booing France). Lochtes story became well known in the media around the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Glnger View Post
    I can't wait until someone does a controversy/scandal about an alligator.
    GatorGate has a good ring to it.
    Alligator crossing an open gate someone left open into a daycare

GateGatorGate, or perhaps GatorGateGate

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Stupidly embarrassing to do this while representing America. Thanks Lochte and crew, thanks for nothing.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

No, you just don't know what tacking"-gate" onto things is based on.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bollocks View Post
    To people saying it's a pointless story. It gives a bad image to brasil more so than they need, which is not helped by the attitude of many in the internet (Brazilians booing France). Lochtes story became well known in the media around the world.
    Brazil took care of their own world image by the level of preparation, condition of the Olympic structures and venues. Why the IOC thought letting Rio host it remains a mystery to me... Personally I believe that the Olympics should only be awarded to places that ALREADY have the venues and infrastructure in place so we know damn well that it isn't going to be a shitshow.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Seranthor View Post
    Brazil took care of their own world image by the level of preparation, condition of the Olympic structures and venues. Why the IOC thought letting Rio host it remains a mystery to me... Personally I believe that the Olympics should only be awarded to places that ALREADY have the venues and infrastructure in place so we know damn well that it isn't going to be a shitshow.
    Unrelated to what I was trying to say, really.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nah, I'm going to call it gate since - gate refers to a controversy/scandal.
    Since hes a swimmer, can we call it Rio Watergate?

Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post
    #LochteGate (locked-gate)
    idk if OP was going for that, but lol it put a smile on my face when I saw it
    It's been a while actually since I've received a message from scrapbot...need to drink more i guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by Butter Emails View Post
    Trump is a complete shitbag that's draining the country's coffers to stuff his own.
    It must be a day ending in Y.

Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post
    No, the Rio Watergate is the green diving pool.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bollocks View Post
    Unrelated to what I was trying to say, really.
    You bemoaned his actions gave Brazil a bad image, yes? I submit that Brazil did more to damage their image than Lochte ever could.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

10+ Year Old Account
    The story is centered around Lochte, the one who fabricated the story. Even if he wasn't the one who came up the idea to make up the story he is seen as the spokesperson since he was the one who went on TV, since he is the most known, etc. 20 is still old enough to know better than going around crying wolf.
    All 4 were involved in the incident. Of course everyone is focusing on Lochte as he's leaps and bounds the most famous of the bunch.

That doesn't really change that is was a bunch of young guys, for the most part, who were doing young stupid things. I'm not sure how many 20-21 year olds you know but this type of behavior is pretty much on bar for a bender night out.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Alcomo View Post
    They range from 20 to 32 years old. This isn't "young people being stupid". This is adults being fucking rejects deserving of charges/fines, medals removed and a swift kick in the teeth.

Also last I checked vandalism was also a crime as well. Not just lying to police.
    I'm not arguing they shouldn't face consequences. But jesus does no one remember when they were 20? I swear people seem to think people roll past 2 decades and suddenly do nothing but make all the right choices.