Page 1 of 12
... LastLast

National Anthem Etiquette

So I was reading about the official national anthem etiquette in the United States and I saw this:

"If you are on the way to your seat at a sports event, or in any public place, and the first strains of the anthem are heard, stop where you are and stand at attention until the end. Don’t talk, chew gum, eat, or smoke during the singing of the anthem."

So like, if I hear the anthem in like a mall or something I'm meant to stop and stand at attention like a hypnotized zombie? I've only been living in the states a couple of years so this shit is still weird to me.

Have you ever done this or seen this? I'm talking about like how you would react if you overheard the anthem randomly and unexpectedly, not like when you're in a football stadium or something.

It would be exceedingly weird if an anthem just started playing randomly in a shopping mall.

Even in the US.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

10+ Year Old Account
    National anthem is serious business, Gabby Douglas almost got tried for treason for messing it up.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Yes, that's what you're supposed to do. You stand at attention, remove any hat you're wearing and face the direction the audio is coming from with your hand over your heart.
    The Fresh Prince of Baudelaire

Banned at least 10 times. Don't give a fuck, going to keep saying what I want how I want to.

Eat meat. Drink water. Do cardio and burpees. The good life.

Quote Originally Posted by Swizzington View Post

So like, if I hear the anthem in like a mall or something I'm meant to stop and stand at attention like a hypnotized zombie? I've only been living in the states a couple of years so this shit is still weird to me..
    You would only really hear the anthem at a sporting/political event. I don't think anyone but a total asshole would be mad at you for not responding correctly if you were ambushed by the national anthem. Besides, if you were to actually hear it somewhere, they almost ALWAYS announce it first like "Now please remove your hats and stand for the national anthem." I'd be lying if I said people didn't think it was important though, for many it honors their friends and family who have served this country. It ties us together too. I think people are compelled to do this for the same reason we say "bless you" when someone sneezes. It's just apart of the human condition to invent things that tie us together.
    Last edited by keyblade01; 2016-08-18 at 10:26 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    What happens if the anthem is playing from a car which is speeding towards you?

You are supposed stand at attention if you hear it live. Playbacks do not count, at least around here.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Swizzington View Post
    So I was reading about the official national anthem etiquette in the United States and I saw this:

"If you are on the way to your seat at a sports event, or in any public place, and the first strains of the anthem are heard, stop where you are and stand at attention until the end. Don’t talk, chew gum, eat, or smoke during the singing of the anthem."

So like, if I hear the anthem in like a mall or something I'm meant to stop and stand at attention like a hypnotized zombie? I've only been living in the states a couple of years so this shit is still weird to me.

Have you ever done this or seen this? I'm talking about like how you would react if you overheard the anthem randomly and unexpectedly, not like when you're in a football stadium or something.

I think that is more for when there is a live performer or what you are doing could be a distraction to the event.

Same thing in Canada. My school would always play it to commence the school day. If you were in the hall you were supposed to stop instead of making your way to class.

I think it's probably the biggest load of crap, because education > standing like a fool over a song that didn't even include the lyrics. However if I was at a stadium I would because odds are someone would take offence and I'd much rather waste 2 minutes than deal with some half-drunk individual telling me to have some respect.

Quote Originally Posted by keyblade01 View Post
    You would only really hear the anthem at a sporting/political event. I don't think anyone but a total asshole would be mad at you for not responding correctly if you were ambushed by the national anthem. Besides, if you were to actually hear it somewhere, they almost ALWAYS announce it first like "Now please remove your hats and stand for the national anthem." I'd be lying if I said people didn't think it was important though, for many it honors their friends and family who have served this country.
    If you're at a Best Buy in the TV section and the National Anthem comes on you have to treat it the exact same way. If you're walking your dog in your neighborhood and that old war vet on the corner is playing his old 45s and he happens to play the National Anthem you have to do the honoraries. There's really no exceptions, you behave the same way that you do when an ambulance or fire truck is blaring their siren as they travel to a call: you stop what you're doing, move over to the side and do the honorary.

Banned at least 10 times. Don't give a fuck, going to keep saying what I want how I want to.

10+ Year Old Account
    I felt like a douchebag in college because of the national anthem once.

I was on my way to class and I had headphones on and music playing... And I had to maneuver around a bunch of people standing around not moving... I was like "wtf why are these people standing here...?" Got to the door of the building I was going to and saw a reflection of some ROTC raising the flag for the day and took my headphones out and heard the anthem playing...

I was like "fuuuuufufuuuuuu...."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Damajin View Post
    Yes, that's what you're supposed to do. You stand at attention, remove any hat you're wearing and face the direction the audio is coming from with your hand over your heart.
    Which is hilariously outmoded and outdated.

If I hear the anthem live at an event I'll take off my hat and stand to attention, but not if I randomly hear it while out and about. If it's a hockey game I'll belt it out along with the rest of them.

But we're more normal in Canada, we don't have a weird obsession with being patriotic..
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

If you're at a Best Buy in the TV section and the National Anthem comes on you have to treat it the exact same way. If you're walking your dog in your neighborhood and that old war vet on the corner is playing his old 45s and he happens to play the National Anthem you have to do the honoraries. There's really no exceptions, you behave the same way that you do when an ambulance or fire truck is blaring their siren as they travel to a call: you stop what you're doing, move over to the side and do the honorary.
    Moving out of the way of an emergency vehicle is not honorary, it's logical. There's no logic or reason to stopping to something that means nothing to you personally other than sheep-minded national brainwashing.

Quote Originally Posted by jackofwind View Post
    Which is hilariously outmoded and outdated.

If I hear the anthem live at an event I'll take off my hat and stand to attention, but not if I randomly hear it while out and about. If it's a hockey game I'll belt it out along with the rest of them.

But we're more normal in Canada, we don't have a weird obsession with being patriotic..
    "Normal" being unpatriotic, that's amusing. McCanada, Inc. presiding right here.

Of course besides Hockey there isn't too much for Canadians to be patriotic about in the first place, so I understand.

When I was at Ft Hood in the Army the 4th ID building played the national anthem every day at like 5 o'clock. If you were on base and outside you stopped what you were doing, stood at attention, and saluted til it was over. Even if you were driving you stopped, got out and paid respects. It's about respect.

edit: Wait no that was for taps. Sorry not the national anthem. Either way it's about respect.
    Last edited by the game; 2016-08-18 at 10:43 PM.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Quote Originally Posted by soulzek View Post
    Moving out of the way of an emergency vehicle is not honorary, it's logical. There's no logic or reason to stopping to something that means nothing to you personally other than sheep-minded national brainwashing.
    It's logical but it's also honorary.

Sheep minded national brainwashing, ooooh look at the rebel in you talking logic and reason. Kind of antithetical don't you think?

10+ Year Old Account
    There is no ettequete for non sports / political rallies. You just continue to do whatever it is you are doing, like shop.

I dont know where damajin came up with that but stopping what you're doing in shopping centers in a load of bull. Heck, I wasn't even punished when I refused to sing along / recite the Pledge in school.

It's logical but it's also honorary.

Sheep minded national brainwashing, ooooh look at the rebel in you talking logic and reason. Kind of antithetical don't you think?
    How is it Honorary? I move because

A. I don't want a ticket
    B. I don't want my car to be smashed
    C. Someones life and/or property is in danger

So unless you pull over for every emergency vehicle every time you aren't honoring them.

"Normal" being unpatriotic, that's amusing. McCanada, Inc. presiding right here.

Of course besides Hockey there isn't too much for Canadians to be patriotic about in the first place, so I understand.
    Patriotism isn't defined entirely by a person dropping what they're doing because a song started playing.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

In scheduled events where the anthem is traditionally played, like a sporting event, memorial, or an explicitly patriotic gathering, it is considered common decency to stand at attention, or otherwise conduct one'self in a civil and respectful manner.

But you don't need to stand motionless each and every time you hear the Star-Spangled Banner. Simply not singing along to it with last night's Madlib game pad is more than enough for the average Joe.
    ~RAWR!