Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Fincayra View Post
    You heard it here folks. Rosie O'Donnell would make a better Mary Jane than Kirsten Dunst.
    Your inability to detect hyperbole is going to doom the entire human race.

Her list of acting credits isn't exactly vast, and while that can be rationalized/explained/excused because she is only 19, it makes me think Marvel is starting to pander here. I personally don't mind that she's not the standard issue caucasian red-head, but it feels like Marvel's attempt to resurrect Spider Man is already starting out on relatively shaky ground if they are in fact responding to calls of "white washing" with this kind of casting decision. You're Marvel. Everything you produce is a license to print money. You don't NEED to play these SJW games, if that is indeed what this is all about. The moment you start letting this kind of public hysteria influence you is when you're no longer sticking to your guns, and that's when we'll start seeing BS like Captain America having a boyfriend, or Vision demanding people recognize his right to sexually identity as an attack helicopter.

Deleted
    Well, Stark can't call her "Red" in the movies, for the looks of it.
    Last edited by mmoc516e31a976; 2016-08-19 at 01:36 PM.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raptor With a Saber View Post
    I do know the difference i'm saying im hoping they kill her off quick. Like open the movie with it. They are so into changing stuff so lets start off with Spidey accidentally snapping her neck from a vulture drop or hell Ironman even.

So you want them to do something they have already done...... Real smart....

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor With a Saber View Post
    Lets say you had kids and they were awesome and when they were 40 they were replaced with Kids of a different race and looked nothing like the kids you loved would you be mad? You may say well thats totally different but its not. I mean its not about what your kids look like or who you grew up with right?

You really trying to compare real people to fictional characters?

Quote Originally Posted by Sicari View Post
    Anyone is better than Kirsten Dunst.
    true dat! yo

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've pretty much lost any respect i had for marvel. this kind of bullshit is ridiculous.
    Its funny how stan lee features himself in every one
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    In other countries like Canada the population has chosen to believe in hope, peace and tolerance. This we can see from the election of the Honourable Justin Trudeau who stood against the politics of hate and divisiveness.

And people wonder why Marvel gets higher critic praise.

I assume she'll dye her hair or use a wig. The red hair is pretty iconic.

Quote Originally Posted by Tauror View Post
    Well, Stark can't call her "Red" in the movies, it for the looks of it.
    Maybe they are worried that the accidental occurrence of a chance meeting between Pepper Pots, Black Widow, and Mary Jane would cause some kind of Ginger Singularity and wipe out the entire MCU!

Deleted
    Well, I count five so far.

Only when every Marvel superhero and supporting character is black will we have 100% diversity! All the villains can be white men though.
    Last edited by dd614; 2016-08-19 at 12:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sicari View Post
    Anyone is better than Kirsten Dunst.
    What he said.

SJW pick, but on the other hand actors that aren't traditional picks can do great jobs. Might I note though that this is an outlier for the types of relationships Hollywood likes to portray, I cannot recall a film with a White Male protagonist/Black female love interest. At least its against their own bias.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiricine View Post
    SJW pick, but on the other hand actors that aren't traditional picks can do great jobs. Might I note though that this is an outlier for the types of relationships Hollywood likes to portray, I cannot recall a film with a White Male protagonist/Black female love interest. At least its against their own bias.
    Its a lot more common (Star Trek, Daredevil) than the other way around (Jessica Jones).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Xerra View Post
    I'm waiting for the historical movie where George Washington is played by a woman of African decent. Or maybe Cortez meeting the Aztecs as an Asian transsexual.
    fixed the two letters you forgot. Dont laugh! you KNOW it will happen

Quote Originally Posted by Sandraudiga View Post
    Having Spider Man fall for a black women isn't an issue, nothing wrong with that in the slightest.
    I do wish it was a new character though, rather than changing an existing one.
    Amen! why do have know characters be changed unrecognizably when you could instead implement NEW characters and create a NEW story this way?

PS: why is the spidey in the movies still white btw? isnt that sexism by now? /s
    Last edited by mmoc25fb373f9a; 2016-08-19 at 01:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Boreaz View Post
    Wait, what? Why is Mary Jane not being a red head less important than her being a model? When I think of spidey's MJ, one of the first features that comes to mind is her red hair.
    Lol, seriously. Ask any 100 comic book fans "Quick, tell me something about Mary Jane Watson-Parker", and at least 90 of them will reply "she's a redhead".

Warning: This isn't GenOT. And we already have an MCU megathread, where discussing casting is more appropriate. What isn't appropriate are unfounded conspiracies of pandering by race-changing a character. A megathread about SpiderMan: Homecoming isn't unwarranted, but this thread is currently not that. The options are - I rename the thread, and the discussion stays on the movie, and it becomes the megathread, or it gets closed. I've taken the liberty of doing the former.

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Warning: This isn't GenOT. And we already have an MCU megathread, where discussing casting is more appropriate. What isn't appropriate are unfounded conspiracies of pandering by race-changing a character. A megathread about SpiderMan: Homecoming isn't unwarranted, but this thread is currently not that. The options are - I rename the thread, and the discussion stays on the movie, and it becomes the megathread, or it gets closed. I've taken the liberty of doing the former.
    Could you point me to the rule where speculation of the casting choices are prohibited?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetstream View Post
    Its funny how stan lee features himself in every one
    This has become one of the parts of each Marvel movie that I actually always look forward to. Being the DJ at the strip club in deadpool was probably his best cameo so far.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    Could you point me to the rule where speculation of the casting choices are prohibited?
    Didn't realize this was a thing, honestly. I would have left that bit out had I known that was the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    Speculation on casting is fine. Hence why I said why the thread was appropriate if it was about the movie.

Throwing around conspiracies about SJW-pandering isn't acceptable here, in this subforum. This subforum is for talking about media within the frame of the media itself. Now, if a director or an actor involved in the project (like Paul Feig, IE) says something about his movie, and the theory exists in a fact-based reality, sure, it's up for discussion.

Oh nice no longer allowed to complain.
    The silencing has begun
    Anemo: traveler, Sucrose
    Pyro: Yanfei, Amber, diluc, xiangling, thoma, Xinyan, Bennett
    Geo: Noelle, Ningguang, Yun Jin, Gorou
    Hydro: Barbara, Zingqiu, Ayato
    Cyro: Shenhe, Kaeya, Chongyun, Diona, Ayaka, Rosaria
    Electro: Fischl, Lisa, Miko, Kujou, Raiden, Razor