Herbalism and Alchemy...Did I make a mistake?

I am a main tank for a progression based raid guild, and I have decided to go herbalism and alch as my professions. However, I am rethinking this. As a raider, would I be better off trying to craft my own gear at the start of the expansion? I was looking for a combination I could make money from the entire raid, but I am no longer confident in this strategy. Any thoughts would be helpful Thanks!

The 'best' professions for raiding in legion are the ones with the biggest gold earned as BiS pre-raid is all crafted. Upgrading a plate piece isn't gated to blacksmiths only so it's down to how much you can afford to upgrade.

10+ Year Old Account
    Going herb/alch on my Shaman; figure we're going to burn through mountains of cauldrons on progression
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaerys View Post
    Gaze upon the field in which I grow my fucks, and see that it is barren.

You can craft a very good trinket and you can still buy crafted boe armors and weapons on the AH with the money you make crafting & selling pots/flask/xmute.

From what I understand, I believe professions will matter less in Legion. I find a lot of good tips and information on YouTube from people who make videos about professions and gold making. Gold (regardless of how you get it) will help you in all aspects -- buying crafted gear, buying DMCs, etc. Maybe try finding a few gold making / profession tip videos?

Herbs are needed for consumables Flask, Pots, and Food now. Bad enough the high end Haste food i need requires 5 stacks of 4 different herbs and other mats just to make a 5 stack +375 Haste food Rank 1 at Rank 3 you get a Stack of 10 for the same cost.

I dont like what they are doing with mixing mats in different profesions. Cooking should be from word drops and fishing and not require to have specific gathering profession. Soon I will need every gathering profession to make anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Mamut View Post
    I dont like what they are doing with mixing mats in different profesions. Cooking should be from word drops and fishing and not require to have specific gathering profession. Soon I will need every gathering profession to make anything.
    For the high end mastery food you need 20 Gem Chips per craft, which comes from JC prospecting... so you need mining and JC just to get that mat

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamut View Post
    u know..u could like...interact with OTHER people, like trade goods or gold for said herbs
    PROUD TRUMP SUPPORTER, #2024Trump #MAGA
    PROUD TRUMP CAMPAIGN SUPPORTER #SaveEuropeWithTrump
    PROUD SUPPORTER OF THE WALL
    BLUE LIVES MATTER
    NO TO ALL GUNCONTROL OR BACKGROUND CHECKS IN EUROPE
    /s

Deleted
    I've been rocking alchemy since LK, never doubted the choice. Being able to make all consumable myself is a relief, and with the bank crafting, saves the embarrassment of hearting mid raid. And double flask duration, love that.

But sometimes I had to spend good 15 minutes of trash crafting flasks and pots for people who "forgot" to send the mats beforehand.