Question with a failing SSD, moving things around.

Question!

My system currently uses two SSD's and a single large HDD.
    Mostly a midhigh-range gaming system.

I have my system setup to have an SSD dedicated to the Operating System, the other SSD for Installed Games, and the HDD for Storage.

However, one of my SSD's is having degradation (Adata SSD at 68% drive health), so I'm looking to remove the drive, reinstall Windows, and move files around to a single SSD+Single HDD setup.

My question comes in here: Will installing games on the "Storage" HDD impact the loadtimes or performance at all of various games, or will it be cached to my Operating Systems SSD and Memory?
    I'm a Kitsune! Not a cat, or a mutt!

10+ Year Old Account
    It depends on the game, really, but generally speaking you don't want to put games on the HDD if you can help it.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Yes it will (impact your load times).

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    It depends on the game, really, but generally speaking you don't want to put games on the HDD if you can help it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelorra View Post
    Yes it will (impact your load times).

I know Blizzard games are not generally affected as they are cache to system memory...

But sucks... Cause' I'm willing to bet that games like GTA 5, Rainbow 6 Siege, Battlefield, Skyrim, Titanfall 2 Beta, Star Citizen are and the majority of Steam games are...
    Grr...

Well, damn.
    Guess that will mean I will need to buy a new large-ish SSD soon...

SSD leaders are still Samsung and Intel, yeah?
    How is HyperX/Kingston doing anymore with SSD's around 512Gb?

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Fox View Post
    I know Blizzard games are not generally affected as they are cache to system memory...

But sucks... Cause' I'm willing to bet that games like GTA 5, Rainbow 6 Siege, Battlefield, Skyrim, Titanfall 2 Beta, Star Citizen are and the majority of Steam games are...
    Grr...

Well, damn.
    Guess that will mean I will need to buy a new large-ish SSD soon...

SSD leaders are still Samsung and Intel, yeah?
    How is HyperX/Kingston doing anymore with SSD's around 512Gb?
    You can get a samsung 512g for like 150 bucks.

My SSD was staring to fail and I bought a Samsung 850EVO, it came with software that did a perfect job of transferring the files over.

It was my boot drive, and no issues since swapping it out.

Deleted
    As others have said. It will affect performance.

Plus, if you got warranty and can get it replaced.

Be sure to wipe the drive with some dedicated software, so that the data is unrecoverable. Especially if you have some delicate data there.

I would keep Windows on the bad drive, if it fails you'll lose Windows, and no one ever cried for that crap. If you only have Windows on it, it might take a very long time until it goes boom. Of course you will need to keep personal data on a separate drive and no you Windows default folders (which is a bad idea anyway)...

OCZ trion 150 are pretty good SSD's for their price, using a 480GB for games.

Deleted
    i made the mistake buying a 128gb drive, although 2 years ago. i have a 250gb raptor 10k drive. even that one is no match for an ssd. you will notice the latency from loading. buy a huge ssd drive. games these days are gettin bigger and bigger, sometimes the 480gb wont be enough xd.

Boo... 512Gb Samsung EVO is a tad pricey compared to other SSD's of the same zie... But hear nothing but good from them so I may just do that.