Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

What is the lore reason for Demon Hunters using shadow magic?

From what I see they are using shado magic alongside their fel. Why is it so?

Pretty much the old saying "Fighting Fire with Fire", only in this case, using Sargeras' own magic against him. (Applies to Warlocks too, if I recall?)

Legion uses Shadow and Fire magic, and at times, both at the same time to achieve Shadowflame/Fel magic.
    I'm a Kitsune! Not a cat, or a mutt!

Deleted
    Why not?

Everybody can use it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Fox View Post
    Pretty much the old saying "Fighting Fire with Fire", only in this case, using Sargeras' own magic against him. (Applies to Warlocks too, if I recall?)

Legion uses Shadow and Fire magic, and at times, both at the same time to achieve Shadowflame/Fel magic.
    but isn't shadow the meta evil thing? isn't using it a little bit good for void lords?

They wield the strength of their enemies. Whatever magic they gather from demons is what the can use. Demons mainly use fel magic but shadow is a type they also use and fel is just a demonic version of fire. Possibly just a combination of fire and shadow?

But regardless: I'm pretty sure they don't use shadow at all. Aren't most if not all of their attacks chaos damage? Chaos damage is every single elemental type plus physical combined into one attack.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Annie Mee View Post
    but isn't shadow the meta evil thing? isn't using it a little bit good for void lords?
    there is a difference between using a bit of shadow magic to come around and tapping into void like a spriest.

rogues also use shadow magic, they dont serve the void.

Formerly known as Arafal

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arafal123 View Post
    there is a difference between using a bit of shadow magic to come around and tapping into void like a spriest.

rogues also use shadow magic, they dont serve the void.
    but how can one fight shadow with shadow, its like molding together, fusing

but how can one fight shadow with shadow, its like molding together, fusing
    In the same non-literal way you fight fire with fire. You don't stop fire by literally throwing some more fire on the pile.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by AvCloudy View Post
    In the same non-literal way you fight fire with fire. You don't stop fire by literally throwing some more fire on the pile.
    yes but demons are of fel, change dby it, not exactly a fel, shadow things, well they look like walking pieces of void like void walkers and such. weeeird

Demon Hunters attack using Fire and Chaos (Fel) schools of magic. Where did you see Shadow?

10+ Year Old Account
    yes but demons are of fel, change dby it, not exactly a fel, shadow things, well they look like walking pieces of void like void walkers and such. weeeird

It would still hurt them though if they took damage from it. Demon Hunters are all about using the Legion's magics against them. What you are doing right now is being very literal and black and white about the whole thing. Using Shadow doesn't equate to being best buds with the Void Lords.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hctaz View Post
    They wield the strength of their enemies. Whatever magic they gather from demons is what the can use. Demons mainly use fel magic but shadow is a type they also use and fel is just a demonic version of fire. Possibly just a combination of fire and shadow?

But regardless: I'm pretty sure they don't use shadow at all. Aren't most if not all of their attacks chaos damage? Chaos damage is every single elemental type plus physical combined into one attack.
    On the Fel magic part: Fel magic used to be corrupted Arcane magic (Don't know if they retconned it as any modern source doesn't state it directly)

From WoWpedia regarding what chronicles says about Fel magic

Quote Originally Posted by WoWpedia
    World of Warcraft: Chronicle Volume 1 states that Fel energy was, and still is, created from mutual destruction of light and darkness as they collide inside the Twisting Nether. In this way, Fel magic is neither life magic, death magic, nor divine magic, but as Micky Neilson stated, its own category, a sort of chaos magic. The reason why it consumes souls, or is produced when sacrificing life energy is unknown. Perhaps the sacrifice is a way of artificially recreating the scenario in which Fel energy is created in the Twisting Nether. Warlocks may use shadow energy to destroy life energy, which in essence may be energy of the light of creation, causing the two energies to collide, destroying one another as in the twisting nether, and create Fel.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    It would still hurt them though if they took damage from it. Demon Hunters are all about using the Legion's magics against them. What you are doing right now is being very literal and black and white about the whole thing. Using Shadow doesn't equate to being best buds with the Void Lords.
    I ain't saying it does, I'm saying that it is weird and should not work against shadow things. weeeird

I ain't saying it does, I'm saying that it is weird and should not work against shadow things. weeeird
    Why does Sindragosa, the queen of the frostbrood, take damage from frost magic?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hctaz View Post
    Why does Sindragosa, the queen of the frostbrood, take damage from frost magic?
    well, to frozen objects collide and bammm, but shadow is not exactly a solid thing I thinkkk.
    ahh and Sindragosa has bones and such and they can be shattered with proper amount of cold, rightt

7+ Year Old Account
    Their are made of a perfect balance of shadows, adding more disrupts the balance and damages them.

There you go, an explanation for the ones made out of pure void.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, DH are not using shadow magic to fight the void lords "fire with fire" style, but the Burning Legion (Dreadlords mainly), and they are not made of void

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadochi View Post
    Their are made of a perfect balance of shadows, adding more disrupts the balance and damages them.

There you go, an explanation for the ones made out of pure void.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, DH are not using shadow magic to fight the void lords "fire with fire" style, but the Burning Legion (Dreadlords mainly), and they are not made of void
    well, it is sort of okkk explanation

but they will in the future, and they are sort of fighting void lords as in voidwalkers and such so they do have a contact with them

7+ Year Old Account
    well, it is sort of okkk explanation

but they will in the future, and they are sort of fighting void lords as in voidwalkers and such so they do have a contact with them
    Have we ever had problems dealing with the lesser spawns of the void tho?
    To be honest, the way to defeat the legion might be by using their powers against them, but the same thing might not work for other enemies.
    For the void we'll probably mostly be using the light.
    The Demon Hunters were trained to counter the Bruning Legion and thats it, they have shadow magic because part of the BL also uses it.

10+ Year Old Account
    You seem to be missing the point of "Fight fire with fire." The phrase comes from controlled burns--that is, you burn a given area to deprive an out-of-control wildfire of fuel, causing it to burn itself out within the controlled burn. You establish a clear boundary you're willing to sacrifice to stop the wildfire from spreading, then you begin efforts to regrow the burned area. In terms of warfare, it means taking the enemy's tactics and using them against the enemy, essentially adapting the 'controlled-burn' strategy to war.

As it applies to Demon Hunters using shadow magic, they're likely using to as a supplement to their fel magics and martial skill, merging them together so they're not as reliant on fel magic's corrupting influence as warlocks, or the void's maddening whispers as shadow priests. Instead, they're using both in measured quantities to gain an understanding of how the Burning Legion's magics operate, so they can turn the Legion's greatest strength against it. It's a basic tactic outlined in The Art of War.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

10+ Year Old Account
    well, to frozen objects collide and bammm, but shadow is not exactly a solid thing I thinkkk.
    ahh and Sindragosa has bones and such and they can be shattered with proper amount of cold, rightt
    Shadow magic or Void magic is a physical form of energy that could hurt someone if used against them.